Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 10:24 AM

20 posts, read 22,678 times

Advertisements

Just wondered cause I'm moving to Evansville soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2021, 10:32 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
I have no idea, but this is an interesting topic and I hope you get some responses.

My guess would be mostly Indiana with Purdue being a distant second. I wouldn't be surprised if the Kentucky teams get some representation as well. The Catholic community probably roots for Notre Dame, as is true of pretty much every Catholic community in the Midwest and Northeast.

Old 10-07-2021, 11:33 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times
You're typical college sports fan in Evansville is a Notre Dame fan during football season and an IU fan during basketball season. There have been more IU football fans the last few years, but they still pale in comparison to the ND/IU split fans. When I lived in Evansville, the breakdown was generally:

1) Notre Dame football/Indiana Basketball
2) Purdue
3) Kentucky basketball
everyone else

EDIT - Edit to point out that, obviously, if you plan to settle on the Kentucky side of the river that changes the equation quite a bit. I only mention that because in OP's other thread, it was stated that he/she is not actually moving to Evansville, but somewhere nearby. The Kentucky side of the river is Kentucky 1 and Louisville 2.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 10-07-2021 at 11:47 AM..

Old 10-07-2021, 02:11 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,468,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
2) Purdue
3) Kentucky basketball

everyone else

... The Kentucky side of the river is Kentucky 1 and Louisville 2.
I've been to Evansville quite a few times and that seems spot on. I think the Univ of Evansville has a local following for basketball as well.

Old 10-07-2021, 02:21 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I've been to Evansville quite a few times and that seems spot on. I think the Univ of Evansville has a local following for basketball as well.
UE has a fairly niche following in Evansville, which is too bad. The Aces play in a strong mid-major conference in a nice arena, on paper it seems like the community would be more interested but there is a lot of apathy toward the Aces. It seemed like that was turning the corner under Walter McCarty, and of course, that all went sour.

Old 10-11-2021, 05:57 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,612,137 times
I realize Notre Dame is in (or directly across the street from) South Bend, but Notre Dame never seemed like an Indiana school to me. Mainly because it's small enrollment and the vast majority of the students come from outside of Indiana. When I lived in Muncie I only knew of 2 people who went to Notre Dame and they both went on a football scholarship, and neither one of them were Catholic. I never knew anybody who went there just for an education. I wonder what percentage of all Notre Dame students are graduates of an Indiana high school. And what percentage of those Indiana students came from South Bend and St Joseph County? Actually it would be interesting to know the percentage breakdown of Notre Dame students by the state the high school they graduated from is in. I don't know if those kinds of stats are available to the general public or not. If they're not they probably should be.

Old 10-11-2021, 07:44 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,940,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
You're typical college sports fan in Evansville is a Notre Dame fan during football season and an IU fan during basketball season. There have been more IU football fans the last few years, but they still pale in comparison to the ND/IU split fans. When I lived in Evansville, the breakdown was generally:

2) Purdue
3) Kentucky basketball
everyone else

EDIT - Edit to point out that, obviously, if you plan to settle on the Kentucky side of the river that changes the equation quite a bit. I only mention that because in OP's other thread, it was stated that he/she is not actually moving to Evansville, but somewhere nearby. The Kentucky side of the river is Kentucky 1 and Louisville 2.
This. And the vast majority never went to any of these colleges or even been to any games. And then you have all the die hard St. Louis cardinals fans. They basically pick and choose teams from all around to root for.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:23 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I realize Notre Dame is in (or directly across the street from) South Bend, but Notre Dame never seemed like an Indiana school to me. Mainly because it's small enrollment and the vast majority of the students come from outside of Indiana. When I lived in Muncie I only knew of 2 people who went to Notre Dame and they both went on a football scholarship, and neither one of them were Catholic. I never knew anybody who went there just for an education. I wonder what percentage of all Notre Dame students are graduates of an Indiana high school. And what percentage of those Indiana students came from South Bend and St Joseph County? Actually it would be interesting to know the percentage breakdown of Notre Dame students by the state the high school they graduated from is in. I don't know if those kinds of stats are available to the general public or not. If they're not they probably should be.
According to collegefactual.com, Notre Dame is 18th out or 2,183 schools for location diversity. Indiana is 5th on the list with 6.3% of students coming from Indiana. It's behind Illinois, California, New York, and New Jersey. Compare this with IU Bloomington where 63.4% come from Indiana, Purdue with 63.2%, and Ball State not surprisingly with 83.4% of students being Hoosiers. Notre Dame is very much a national school since 93.7% of students come from out-of-state. It kind of ranks it up there with the Ivy Leagues in terms of out-of-state students. Yale has 93% of students from out-of-state. Dartmouth is 96.8% out-of-state, Brown is 95.5% out-of-state. Or specialty schools like The Julliard School, which has 86.2% of students from out-of-state or MIT with 90.1% of students from outside Massachusettes.

https://www.collegefactual.com/colle...ife/diversity/

Old 10-12-2021, 05:26 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,612,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
According to collegefactual.com, Notre Dame is 18th out or 2,183 schools for location diversity. Indiana is 5th on the list with 6.3% of students coming from Indiana. It's behind Illinois, California, New York, and New Jersey. Compare this with IU Bloomington where 63.4% come from Indiana, Purdue with 63.2%, and Ball State not surprisingly with 83.4% of students being Hoosiers. Notre Dame is very much a national school since 93.7% of students come from out-of-state. It kind of ranks it up there with the Ivy Leagues in terms of out-of-state students. Yale has 93% of students from out-of-state. Dartmouth is 96.8% out-of-state, Brown is 95.5% out-of-state. Or specialty schools like The Julliard School, which has 86.2% of students from out-of-state or MIT with 90.1% of students from outside Massachusettes.

https://www.collegefactual.com/colle...ife/diversity/
That's very interesting. Thanks for posting it.

Old 10-13-2021, 07:05 PM

148 posts, read 459,329 times
ND is popular in Indiana three reasons - it is in Indiana, though just barely; it had a winning program in the 1980s into the early 1990s (is that right?), and it's a Catholic school. Evansville is a very Catholic city, so the ND fandom makes sense there.

IU basketball is by far the most popular in southern Indiana, and NE Indiana; according to this map, the rest of the state is divided among Purdue (NW Indiana); Notre Dame (north-central), and Butler (Indy's northern suburbs).

https://www.vividseats.com/blog/most...ball-teams-map
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana