Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 06:27 PM

20 posts, read 72,889 times

Advertisements

What about Granger or Southbend. We are looking to relocate from Delaware (a very little state on the east coast) and we're not sure where we should live. We were originally interested in Fishers and southern IN but we had a friend that LOVED Granger! HELP

Does anyone have information on Muncie??? We have 3 children so school infor and safety are important, as well as, jobs. We both work at a small bank in DE. Thanks!!!

Hi,
My husband, 3 children, and I are looking to move from Delaware to Indiana. This all came about a few months ago when we read that Fishers was one of the 100 best places to live in the country. We have been searching for housing, crime rates, school systems, jobs, etc. Our kids are 9,3 and 6 months. We currently have our oldest in a Catholic School...partially because the public school systems around here are horrible. We are interested in Granger, Southbend, Fishers, and Carmel so far. We would like to come and visit but we need a PLAN! I am a Branch Manager and he is a Financial Analyst at a Community bank (yes the same bank). We need info on these areas. Hope someone can help!!! Thanks

Last edited by Marka; 01-14-2007 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: cross posting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 12:24 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
I'm originally from the SB area and Granger/Penn schools would be your best bet for public schools. There are 2 good catholic schools, one across from Notre Dame (St. Josephs) and one in Mishawaka (Marian). I now live in Fishers and find that it's really a pleasant enough place. Schools are fantastic. So are Carmel, Zionsville & Noblesville schools. There are also very good private schools in the area as well. With the proximity to Indianapolis, the state capital, you also aren't so isolated from big town amenities. At least with South Bend/Granger, Chicago is close enough too (a couple hours by train or car).

You should visit both, try 'em on for size. South Bend tends to get more snow, but not this year! Usually, with the proximity to Lake Michigan, the lake effect snows are pretty substantial.

Good luck and welcome.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the info. My husband and I are planning to rent first to get to know the areas. We like the fact that the catholic schools are up north, but we love the fact that Indianopolis is so close down south!!! Its so exciting to move, but scary too!!!

Old 01-15-2007, 05:30 AM

There are a lot more Catholic schools in the Indianapolis area than in the SB area.

As for Muncie, one of the best schools in the state is the Burris Lab school, but it's very hard to get in. Watch Armed & Famous to get a feel for Muncie.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:53 PM

Oh really? We will have to look into that. Do you have any recommendations for builders in the area?

Old 01-16-2007, 05:22 AM

Which area? If Granger floats your boat,I'll tell you a builder to stay the heck away from in a pm. Lots of lawsuits and unhappy homeowners ...

It really depends on what you want to spend. There are a lot of custom home builders in Indianapolis, but Pulte, Ryland, Davis, CP Morgan, Drees, Estridge & Centex are the big ones here. I may be leaving a few out, but those are the ones I can think of at 7am.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,264 times
Default Go Granger

Granger is the better part of the county and the schools are top rated.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:44 PM

24 posts, read 147,100 times
We just moved to Fishers from Long Island; if you are used to lots of shopping and family activities you can't go wrong in the Indianapolis suburbs, and you have a pretty good selection of schools public and private/catholic. We are not in culture shock here as many people warned us, because we find that the suburbs are pretty homogenous, we didnt go into Manhattan that often anyway due to the cost. There are a lot of companies and jobs in the Indianapolis area, I don't know about the other areas.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:21 AM

9 posts, read 27,241 times
Default Indiana School Systems

Search for Schools You will find this site exhaustive as to schools under the NO PLACE LEFT TO HIDE ACT. All schools are required to post the annual results of performance on ISTEP, the test we the people of Indiana use to measure performance, based on age, gender and age.

You might google carmel indiana schools and get the schools for each township (Counties are divided into townships and schools are township based...for instance there is Carmel, which is Clay township, and Fishers, which is Delaware township....at any rate..once u find the list of schools for a particular township then comeback to this site and input it. The schools make is pretty difficult to find the info on thier website so this makes it easier. It also rates parochial and private schools.

Welcome to Indy. We are the biggest town in the country and the best kept secret in these united states...

Last edited by domergurl; 01-30-2008 at 11:49 AM..

Old 01-31-2008, 05:34 PM

91 posts, read 316,237 times
Lauren11,
Have you considered the Columbus Area... Great schools, little crime, small home town feel. Great place to live. We also have one Catholic School. Check us out at
Columbus, Indiana Convention and Visitors Bureau and Bartholomew Consolidated School Corporation Home

Good Luck in your decision making
JulieL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana