Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,839 times

Advertisements

"people in Northern Indiana wouldn't probably warm up to you as much as people in southern indiana or indy would"

lol, no offence, but that goes to show how much you know. northern Indiana is full of southern folks, or should I say packed? not to mention the majority of us are friendly regardless of your origin, location, heritage or otherwise. newsflash people, Indiana, like the rest of the country, is a melting pot of people. some bad, mostly good.

"folks growing up in NW Indiana are called Region Rats"

lol, now that's a new one and I've lived here my entire life. they only call it that in the city my friend, only in the city. come on out of town, where the real world is and the majority of the people are.

"I can tell you as a transplant to Chicago and a former extreme Southern Indiana native (Tell City) there is much open disrespect of anyone perceived as being not from the North of Indiana"

are you serious? lol. is it any wonder why most choose to live out of the big label happy judgemental cities? no offence, but most of what I've read here is hogwash and pure speculation. never judge all by the actions of a few my friends. like I said, only in the city. lol

"while I understand your question and why you ask it, it kind of makes me laugh. Northerners, as a rule, are entirely and completely unaware of any reason to think twice about whether someone is from the south"

now that is the only thing I've read here that is even remotely acurate. most of that judgemental crap is sophmoric garble from just plain stuck ups. the majority of people everwhere could care less what you look like or where you came from. only that your'e a good kind hearted person. don't get me wrong, even in the big cities, the majority of people are the very same way. most people don't care where your'e from or if you have an accent. they could care less. it's only the stuck ups who care, city or country, black or white.

come on people, never judge all by the actions of a few. no disrespect, but your'e embarrassing yourselves by stereotyping. are any of you actually originally from Indiana, born and raised? to be honest, it doesn't sound like it.

"the region?" ... now that's funny.

p.s. actually only southwestern Indiana is considered in Tornado Alley.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado_Alley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2006, 12:20 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,756,420 times
"folks growing up in NW Indiana are called Region Rats"

lol, now that's a new one and I've lived here my entire life. they only call it that in the city my friend, only in the city. come on out of town, where the real world is and the majority of the people are.

If it's a new one, then why do you know "they only call it that in the city .."? I'm not even sure what that sentence means.

So you know what a region rat is? I heard Region Rat when I was in college near Fort Wayne .. hardly in NW Indiana MY FRIEND.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:47 PM

61 posts, read 379,073 times
"Region Rats" Never heard this before. I moved to Indiana form Virginia for jobs. I lived in N.W. Indiana for many years, only to move out about 4.5 years ago. For the most part people are nice, you will always find a ghetto or bad neighborhood where ever you go. If you can get the jobs needed to live a good life then do it there. The four seasons are nice in most of Indiana. The outdoor life is great, many things to do. Laporte is where I'm from, winters there was way extreme. I only moved because of the factories closing down. Indiana lost it's appeal to most for jobs when the jobs left Indiana. I'll be moving back to the Shenandoah area of Virginia in the spring.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova
"Region Rats" Never heard this before. I moved to Indiana form Virginia for jobs. I lived in N.W. Indiana for many years, only to move out about 4.5 years ago. For the most part people are nice, you will always find a ghetto or bad neighborhood where ever you go. If you can get the jobs needed to live a good life then do it there. The four seasons are nice in most of Indiana. The outdoor life is great, many things to do. Laporte is where I'm from, winters there was way extreme. I only moved because of the factories closing down. Indiana lost it's appeal to most for jobs when the jobs left Indiana. I'll be moving back to the Shenandoah area of Virginia in the spring.
People in LaPorte aren't Region Rats.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:51 PM

954 posts, read 4,379,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum
.People tend to pick up the accent around them, but never lose their original...
I grew up in Detroit, but lived 17 years in Tenn and NC. Then 7 years ago I moved to NYC. I think that at times I have all three accents. I think my default position is the basic Midwestern I grew up with. However, when I get tired, I find that I slip back into some southern pronunciation of certain words. Although, I always tried to avoid the really regional stuff from the South, like "use to could" for use to be able to, or "won't" for wasn't. I was a pastor, so I tried to speak in a way that wouldn't drive anyone away, no matter where they were from.
I guess I am destined to be a hybrid of some kind.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:30 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,747,765 times
I was born & raised in NW Indiana, and well aware of the handle "Region Rat". It mostly people from downstate that call us that. They didn't like to claim our part of the State, but sure like the tax revenue we generated. US Steel, Inland Steel & Bethlehem Steel have/had some of the largest payrolls in the State.

Plus, we spent those steel mill dollars, and the sales tax revenue benefited the entire State.

There are lots of people in LaPorte County who made their living in the steel business. Yes, they are considered region rats as well.

Living so close to Chicago was great growing up. When my kids were growing up they came to appreciate the city as well.

People in NW Indiana are hardworking and friendly for the most part. I feel safer in NW Indiana than I do in Nashville. No accent yet, I still sound like a Yankee. :-D

Old 08-10-2006, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis
I was born & raised in NW Indiana, and well aware of the handle "Region Rat". It mostly people from downstate that call us that. They didn't like to claim our part of the State, but sure like the tax revenue we generated. US Steel, Inland Steel & Bethlehem Steel have/had some of the largest payrolls in the State.

Plus, we spent those steel mill dollars, and the sales tax revenue benefited the entire State.

There are lots of people in LaPorte County who made their living in the steel business. Yes, they are considered region rats as well.

Living so close to Chicago was great growing up. When my kids were growing up they came to appreciate the city as well.

People in NW Indiana are hardworking and friendly for the most part. I feel safer in NW Indiana than I do in Nashville. No accent yet, I still sound like a Yankee. :-D
I love NW Indiana. It's the most dynamic area of the state and the only place where you feel like you are in a real city. And yes, Indiana LOVES the money NW Indiana generates, granted it's not so much anymore, sometimes I think that Lake & Porter Counties would like to secede from the rest of the state! That area is truly the Rodney Dangerfield of Indiana.

Old 08-26-2006, 05:35 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,158,454 times
did you say Mizsippi? Love the folks down there so come on up.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:49 AM

9 posts, read 57,356 times
Default southern

I would say that the southern part of In. would be little differnt than home. Even in the north, if you stayed in smaller towns and rural oriented areas you would fit in well. The big ethnic towns like south bend, or the chicago area would be "pretty rough"Many people in these areas seem to have "issues with southerners".

Old 09-10-2006, 11:19 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,747,765 times
Issues with Southerners? I'm a NW Indiana/Chicagoland native, and I
married a Southerner. My family loves him, even my Mom :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana