Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 06:06 AM

23 posts, read 134,578 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am an international student. I plan to study in Vincennes U. Is there any bus or public transportation from VU to the nearbly places?

How about the safety in this town? How about this U? Anyone can help please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 07:01 PM

6 posts, read 34,021 times
To the original poster, if you are a senior, Vincennes shouldn't be too bad if all you want is relative isolation and slow country living. Vinny is the epitome of hoosier hospitality, but it is true what other ppl have been saying: you have to go to evansville, indy, or STL for entertainment, shopping, etc. However, if you're coming from CA, know that vincennes has typical midwest weather: very cold winters and hot and humid summers.

Asianstudent: there is no public transport I know of other than this "Van Gogh" bus service which I think is just for old people. The town is safe, but people are kind of closed-minded so you may get stares at walmart or fast food places (as an Indian person, I know I did). The community college, you should know, is not about academics or scholarly things, but about training people for "vocations" more so it may not be your cup of tea if you want to eventually be a professional.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:31 AM

3 posts, read 32,386 times
t real truth about vincennes
vincennes does have pretty much anything you need when it comes to shopping. but it is a racist community. the schools cater to the wealthy kids. it is located in a republican state. there are way to many railroads. some times you have to wait on the same train twice just to get across town. there is a bad meth problem and yes they do get arrested but then they get relaeased for information. the cops would rather do needless countless traffic stops all the time. as far as crime in vincennes , its usually just petty crime and what crime there is the police create. i used to work for the police invincennes , one day an officer came to our garage and sit on the couch smoking weed, then 20 minutes later he ticketed a motorist for a rolling stop. it is the most corrupt town within miles.
vincennes is run by the churches so to sum things up, vincennes is the place to live if one of the following apply to you:
your into politics
your a christian
or your very wealthy.
might not hurt to be a racist to.
and as far as the place being poor , well , the city and county waste the money on needless crap. and there are few jobs that you can mkae 400 or 500 a week and toyota is a joke.
sorry i didnt type anything positive but i couldnt think of anything.

Old 07-01-2007, 02:48 PM

251 posts, read 1,066,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess1975 View Post
and there are few jobs that you can mkae 400 or 500 a week and toyota is a joke.
Why is Toyota a joke?

Old 07-02-2007, 10:27 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Toyota isn't a joke Chimpie. And Toyota isn't even located in Vincennes (Knox County). It is in Princeton (Gibson County) south of Vincennes. I know several people who work there, and while the application process is long and drawn out, they do pay well for the area. There are some issues I think with people who don't like their strict personal policies, but most large corporations have similar rules and regs that not everyone likes. Personally, I hate working for large corporations and I'm guessing that jess above may not as well. You really have to read between the lines with most of the posts and decide for yourself which posts to take stock in as well............

I grew up 9 miles from Vincennes and worked in the city itself for over 15. Vincennes isn't by any means an exciting place to live, but its not that bad either, it just depends on how much excitement or size one needs in their life.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:14 PM

3 posts, read 32,386 times
toyota is a joke. maybe its not in knox county but its just one county away. i dont mind working for big corporations. but toyota fires people because the job changed ( because body styles of cars change every few years so the job has to change as the part is made completly different) and then they hire temps to do the work and pay them about $8 less on the hour and then let them go when its time to make company and hire a new set of temps.i worked at essex wire and we had several people come to work there because toyota fired 300+ people at the same time.

i also worked at a company that makes parts for toyota , and they built a smoke room for us smokers so we didnt have to smoke in the rain no more, and 2 weeks after it was built they had a meeting and told us we had to go back outside to smoke because the japanese dont want to smoke with us. so i said if they cant smoke with us i cant work with them and quit my pathetic job.

lewis bakery has a real bad rap . but it has changed alot in the last couple of years , i worked there for six years and would go back to it if i werent a truck driver now.

and as far as most of the companies around here that supply toyota, well their contracts are up in january and most of them sold out to companies in texas.

Last edited by jess1975; 07-15-2007 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: spelling errors

Old 02-04-2008, 08:23 PM

2 posts, read 13,226 times
Smile Easy place to adapt

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianstudent View Post
Hi, I am an international student. I plan to study in Vincennes U. Is there any bus or public transportation from VU to the nearbly places?

How about the safety in this town? How about this U? Anyone can help please?
Hi, how are you? Don't be nervous about moving to Vincennes. I went to college there about a hundred years ago and the college was easy to get around and the people were nice. My Father was a teacher at V.U. and he always brought foreign exchange students to our home for dinner. It is a simple town really, not complicated like other towns with colleges. It is a pretty safe town. Of course if you go in dark, really low income, scarry neiborhood then yes lock the car doors. But, there are only a few scarry spots and those are in ANY town. Vincennes has grown leaps and bounds in the last 10 years. Lots of restaurants, WalMart, parks, churches, Lowes, and downtown is the old part of town which is cute too. It is true that there is no big business to keep people there. The closest big money maker is the Toyota Plant, about 30 miles south. Mostly it is a town with people raising their kids. The nearest big cities are Terre Haute or Evansville. I like Terre Haute. V.U. is an excellent school, especially if you are in the Nursing field or aviation. It has a wonderful reputation. My sister and her family still live there. I live in Florida and am thinking to re-locate to Vincennes. Don't worry sweetie, you will like the town. Any new town is always a new experience and takes some getting used to but, the people are nice and it is an easy area to get around. I don't think they have public transportation. You can find a cheap car to buy, the driving there is very basic. The town is old so they still have some strange one way streets and stuff. If I can be of any help, please feel free to email me, okay.LH

Old 02-13-2008, 05:48 PM

23 posts, read 134,578 times
Dear Linda,

Thanks for your information. I'm studying at VU now. Thanks

Old 01-22-2010, 08:14 PM

5 posts, read 14,256 times
A VU alumni--great. I need your input. My son is looking at VU for this fall to major in audio recording.
Will he get a good education there? Did your degree get you a decent job in your chosen field?
We live out of state (way out) so we need all the information we can get. All we have is what's on the VU website.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:54 PM

2 posts, read 8,192 times
Exclamation Vincennes AKA: Po-Dunk (Bung Funk Egypt)

Born and raised in V-town..and being poor didn't help, because the schools do favor the wealthier children and alumni...sadly, our family went from upper middle class to living in government housing (Niblack Apartments aka: projects) due to my parents divorce. So, I can speak from experience. I have lived on both sides of the tracks in V-town, and being on the wrong side definitley makes a difference...as soon as I graduated high school, I left that sad, nasty, cess pool they call a town. Oh yes, it is quite old, full of history...the Vincennes Rendevous was huge years ago...French & Indian battle sites, George Rogers Memorial, Redd Skelton. But it pretty much ends there...Rail road tracks crisscrossing 6th street..literally, a train in front of you and a train behind you, trains running all hours of the day and night, blasting horns! A junk yard right on the main drag also (Dume's). There is ONE movie theater...no decent hotel or restaurant..The downtown died years ago..few "quaint" shops...Their is no "riverfront" to speak of. DIRTY, DIRTY, DIRTY...it is just a dirty little place on the map....No industry to speak of, no large manufactuers (except for meth), no real job opportunities...AND NOTHING FOR KIDS TO DO, AND I MEAN NOTHING.....no roller rinks, no fun parks, no laser tag, no mall...a swimming pool (Rainbow Beach)...And yes...V-Town is very corrupt...The police are about as worthless as they come....I have to go and visit my folks, who still live there.....I have offered to buy them a home elsewhere, but they refuse...This town is about as low on the totem pole as you could possibly go....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana