Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 04:54 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,071,118 times

Advertisements

As I am sure you all probably might know but thought I would give y'a'll a reminder. This week has been designated Severe Weather Preparedness Week. Be sure to review your severe weather plans with your family and make sure you have an adequate amount of food for you and your family to last 3-4 days. Be sure to have an emergency kit and have phone numbers to people you may think need help or incase you need help.

Thank you for your time

Gdude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 08:05 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,064,811 times
Thanks for the note - was cool tonight, standing on dam of pond, hearing one town's siren wail, and then just a bit later another one further in the distance...

For more info:
FEMA: Are You Ready?
http://www.weather.gov/os/severeweather/index.shtml
NWS Indianapolis, IN

Old 03-19-2009, 06:51 AM

8,985 posts, read 17,308,092 times
I had a bit of a chuckle when the sirens in Indianapolis went off after 7. I knew, somewhere, someone was unaware of the tornado drill and probably freaked out as the storms were rolling in right behind the sirens.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:05 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,071,118 times
I know of some people who did freak out because of the alarm testing at 7pm....lol( I know I am terrible!)

Old 03-19-2009, 10:55 PM

855 posts, read 2,397,918 times
Our weather radio went off first, then our Fox interrupted its programming to explain it was a test and the sirens would be going off, which they did a few minutes later.

Good thing they tested the sirens around here because evidently a few of them aren't working. Better to find out now than later.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:31 AM

158 posts, read 610,743 times
Is Fort Wayne an area that gets tornados?

Old 03-20-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signora View Post
Is Fort Wayne an area that gets tornados?
Yeap... had two in the area [Columbia City and northern FtW area] just this month.

Check out the links in post #52 of this thread https://www.city-data.com/forum/india...tornado-6.html

Old 03-21-2009, 09:21 AM

158 posts, read 610,743 times
Ok... now I am a little nervous. We are probably moving there and tornados have always made me a bit jumpy....

Old 03-21-2009, 09:38 PM

Signora - don't fret it... there's many more things in life to be nervous about Just be aware and prepared

Tornado warning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Advances in technology, both in identifying conditions and in distributing warnings effectively, have been credited with reducing the death toll from tornadoes. The average warning times have increased substantially to about 15 minutes; and in some cases to more than a one hour's warning of impending tornadoes. The U.S. tornado death rate has declined from 1.8 deaths per million people per year in 1925 to only 0.11 per million in 2000. Much of this change is credited to improvements in the tornado warning system.
2007 Tornado Fatality Information [hint, don't live in a trailer home/park]

List of causes of death by rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia [take care of your heart, etc., careful driving, and other causes much more important IMHO ]

Old 03-21-2009, 11:59 PM

855 posts, read 2,397,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signora View Post
Ok... now I am a little nervous. We are probably moving there and tornados have always made me a bit jumpy....
Like ShadowCaver said, don't fret about it too much. We're as or more prone to them up in our neck of the woods. I've lived here just over 10 years and the closest one has come to us was 2 miles away about 5 1/2 years ago. That doesn't sound like much but except for the largest tornadoes, it can make a pretty big difference. Overall, we've probably received more damage in our area from severe thunderstorms than from tornadoes in the time I've been here.

In general, we don't get those mile wide monsters that you might see on TV out in the plains. They're the exception rather than the rule here.

There have only been two tornadoes in almost 140 years in Allen County(Where Ft. Wayne is) that have caused a loss of life.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/iwx/I...nadoTracks.pdf

The strongest storm ever to hit Fort Wayne?

It appears that the tornadoes of May 26, 2001 and May 14, 1972, along with the downburst of October 8, 1992, were probably the most destructive storms ever to occur in Fort Wayne. No tornado greater than F2 strength has ever been recorded in the city.

NWS Northern Indiana

A couple of things to consider:

A real basement is a plus.
A NOAA weather radio is good to have.
Pay attention and take warnings seriously when they do happen.

In short, relax. Something's more likely to happen to me that you because I happen to be one of those morons that stands in the back door of our garage ogling thunderstorms sometimes trying to get a picture of lightning and I would be right at home running around with the guys that drive around the plains chasing tornadoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana