Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 08:56 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,015,481 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My family has been wanting to relocate, from Arizona, for the past couple of years. We thought we had decided on Colorado, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. We are really looking for somewhere more lush and green.

I've been researching Fort Wayne and some of the suburban areas of Indianapolis (such as Fishers, Carmel Zionsville etc), however, I really know NOTHING about Indiana and figured should ask for some "expert advice" from those who know it best. lol

As well as geographical suggestions (listed below), I have a couple of stupid questions as well.
While researching previous posts etc, I noticed people talking about there being a lot of bugs in Indiana...What kind of bugs are we talking about? Ticks? Chiggers? Mosquitoes? Roaches? Or??? Are there leaches and other creepy crawly things I should be prepared for? (I'm really not a wuss, I can handle it. I would just like to know what to expect).

Are there a lot of poisonous snakes in Indiana (such as copper heads, cotton mouths, rattlers etc)?

I noticed a lot of homes have ponds. In general, can you swim in the ponds or are there leaches or other reasons one would not swim in the ponds?

Generally speaking, are most of the roads pretty well maintained in the winter time? I know the more rural areas will be more problematic, however, I have lived all my driving years in the desert. Sooooo, I will have the privilege of learning to drive in snow/ice.

Here's what we're looking for. Of course we're not expecting "perfect", these are just some basic guidelines we're shooting for (no particular order):

Four Seasons: Preferably a good mix of all four seasons. We don't want freezing cold weather 8 months out of the year, but we definitely don't want the 120+ degree temps we have here in the summertime either. We know Indiana is humid, that's fine. We want some snow, but we don't want to be in the snowbelt. In short, if you can give me some tips on the more mild climate areas of Indiana that would be a big help. I would also like to know about tornado activity.

Edit: I forgot to add....We would really prefer somewhere that isn't real windy all of the time. A light breeze occasionally, or occasional windy days are ok, but preferably not really windy...I hate the wind! Especially in the desert. UGH!

Would kind of like some rolling hills, but flat is ok too as long as there are TREES and GREEN GREEN GRASS! We're sick of ugly brown desert. Yes, the desert has it's own kind of beauty, but we're sick of looking at it after 20 years.

Decent Schools/Decent Football: By the time we get there, we will only have 2 of 4 children left at home (One in 3rd grade the other a freshman in high school). The one in high school is obsessed with football. lol Are there any areas that are better than others as far as football programs and the possibility of being scouted for college?

I would say cheap housing and low cost of living, but I think Indiana has that pretty well covered. Indiana seems so family oriented! That's exactly what we're looking for!

Thanks in advance for any input you can give!

Last edited by kawgpz550; 04-23-2009 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: Add Content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 05:35 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,375,643 times
Based upon your description and desire to get away from flat, you need to look at towns south of Indianapolis. If one drew a straight line out east and west using Martinsville as the center point you will find hills south of that area. North of that area, including Indianapolis and Fort Wayne is flat. One also finds more forest land in the southern third of the state.

Bugs--I think someone posted a similar questions months ago. No more bugs here than anywhere else, and probably less than some places. Where you have water you have mosquitos. Where you have trees you're likely to find ticks. Chiggers--I guess so. Leaches?? only in water. Spiders--non poisonous. Roaches? Not like one finds in the southern US and only sometimes in dirty houses.

Southern Indiana is far milder than the central or northern part of the state. Some snow, some ice, humid summers.

Wind is not an issue here.

Poisonous snakes--see this link--there are only 4 types in the entire state. 2 types are rarely seen.
The Snakes of Indiana

Old 04-24-2009, 06:24 AM

74 posts, read 200,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Bugs--I think someone posted a similar questions months ago. No more bugs here than anywhere else, and probably less than some places. Where you have water you have mosquitos. Where you have trees you're likely to find ticks. Chiggers--I guess so. Leaches?? only in water. Spiders--non poisonous.
There are come leeches but they are mostly isolated in the back water swampy areas. Spiders, lets not forget in some areas there are problems with Black Widows and the Brown Recluse although they can be easily controlled.
Indiana is a beautifull state and in most areas you can fully enjoy the four seasons.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:22 AM

Thank you both for your responses. I'm just trying to get as much info as possible.

It's really ironic. I keep reading posts, old and new, with people portraying Indiana as nothing "special" and claiming there's no beauty there. I am absolutely taken back by the beauty I have seen in pictures of Indiana. Those that aren't impressed by Indiana's beauty have obviously never lived in the desert. LOL
The colors of the trees (beautifully green in the spring/summer and multi-colored in fall) WOW! The desert is ugly and the same color of BROWN 365 days a year no matter how much or how little rain we get! I can't wait to have a life of greenery!!

Old 04-24-2009, 11:40 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,501,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Thank you both for your responses. I'm just trying to get as much info as possible.

It's really ironic. I keep reading posts, old and new, with people portraying Indiana as nothing "special" and claiming there's no beauty there. I am absolutely taken back by the beauty I have seen in pictures of Indiana. Those that aren't impressed by Indiana's beauty have obviously never lived in the desert. LOL
The colors of the trees (beautifully green in the spring/summer and multi-colored in fall) WOW! The desert is ugly and the same color of BROWN 365 days a year no matter how much or how little rain we get! I can't wait to have a life of greenery!!
May I suggest that you research the town of Jasper Indiana and its environs? In my opinion it will satisfy the majority of your wishes. Good luck!

Old 04-24-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
May I suggest that you research the town of Jasper Indiana and its environs? In my opinion it will satisfy the majority of your wishes. Good luck!
I will look into it...Thanks!

I probably should have mentioned that we currently own a carpet/tile cleaning & water restoration business and will most likely do the same thing when we relocate. I don't know what kind of market there is there, but if anyone has input regarding the industry I would be happy to hear.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:10 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,077,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Hi everyone!

My family has been wanting to relocate, from Arizona, for the past couple of years. We thought we had decided on Colorado, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. We are really looking for somewhere more lush and green.

I've been researching Fort Wayne and some of the suburban areas of Indianapolis (such as Fishers, Carmel Zionsville etc), however, I really know NOTHING about Indiana and figured should ask for some "expert advice" from those who know it best. lol

As well as geographical suggestions (listed below), I have a couple of stupid questions as well.
While researching previous posts etc, I noticed people talking about there being a lot of bugs in Indiana...What kind of bugs are we talking about? Ticks? Chiggers? Mosquitoes? Roaches? Or??? Are there leaches and other creepy crawly things I should be prepared for? (I'm really not a wuss, I can handle it. I would just like to know what to expect).

Are there a lot of poisonous snakes in Indiana (such as copper heads, cotton mouths, rattlers etc)?

I noticed a lot of homes have ponds. In general, can you swim in the ponds or are there leaches or other reasons one would not swim in the ponds?

Generally speaking, are most of the roads pretty well maintained in the winter time? I know the more rural areas will be more problematic, however, I have lived all my driving years in the desert. Sooooo, I will have the privilege of learning to drive in snow/ice.

Here's what we're looking for. Of course we're not expecting "perfect", these are just some basic guidelines we're shooting for (no particular order):

Four Seasons: Preferably a good mix of all four seasons. We don't want freezing cold weather 8 months out of the year, but we definitely don't want the 120+ degree temps we have here in the summertime either. We know Indiana is humid, that's fine. We want some snow, but we don't want to be in the snowbelt. In short, if you can give me some tips on the more mild climate areas of Indiana that would be a big help. I would also like to know about tornado activity.

Edit: I forgot to add....We would really prefer somewhere that isn't real windy all of the time. A light breeze occasionally, or occasional windy days are ok, but preferably not really windy...I hate the wind! Especially in the desert. UGH!

Would kind of like some rolling hills, but flat is ok too as long as there are TREES and GREEN GREEN GRASS! We're sick of ugly brown desert. Yes, the desert has it's own kind of beauty, but we're sick of looking at it after 20 years.

Decent Schools/Decent Football: By the time we get there, we will only have 2 of 4 children left at home (One in 3rd grade the other a freshman in high school). The one in high school is obsessed with football. lol Are there any areas that are better than others as far as football programs and the possibility of being scouted for college?

I would say cheap housing and low cost of living, but I think Indiana has that pretty well covered. Indiana seems so family oriented! That's exactly what we're looking for!

Thanks in advance for any input you can give!

I would suggest maybe looking into Hendricks County.

Bugs?? I dont think you would have much of a problem. We do have mosquitoes and what not but they aren't as much as a problem as they are in other states. As far as snakes They arent really a problem in Central and Northern Indiana but I think they have a little problem with them in Southern Indiana but really not by much.

As far as swimming in ponds you should be alright but just to be safe you should probably want to take a shower afterwards.

As far as roads if you just give the road crews a little time then you will have no problem.

Alot of the Big Schools like Carmel,Avon,Hamilton Southeastern, Plainfield have great Football programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana