Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 07:10 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,405,692 times

Advertisements

We are seriously thinking about moving to Bloomington from Valparaiso. Wonder if there is anyone here who has lived both places and can make comparisons (probably asking a lot since they are both small towns)? We are looking for a place with a reasonable cost of living, some cultural attractions (restaurants, music) and water (Lake Monroe). We are also hoping for a little milder weather, although I assume Bloomington won't be subtantially different. Valparaiso is a great place with the benefit of proximity to Chicago and Lake Michigan, but Chicago is not worth the hassle or expense to us anymore. Bloomington looks like it might be a good choice for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 10:06 AM

196 posts, read 696,746 times
I used to visit folks in Lake County on a regular basis. The weather there seemed considerably colder and with more snow in the winter, less humid in the summer. One big difference weatherwise is the wind, maybe this link will give you an idea.

Wind Powering America: Indiana Wind Map

Old 09-20-2009, 11:01 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
I lived in Valpo for 2 years ... went to grad school at IU, but now call Columbus, about an hour east, home ....

The biggest advantage to Valpo is your proximity to Chicago. Bloomington really has it all in terms of food, culture, cost of living. Although, home prices in Bloomington are higher than you would think they should be. But the tradeoff is that you are living in a culturally diverse mecca for the arts and a nice town to boot! The school system in Valpo is probably a couple notches better (rrah ... no disrespect!).

Old 09-21-2009, 10:03 AM

801 posts, read 2,565,324 times
Much more international flavor in Bloomington. Schools place a higher value on diversity than you find in Valpo. All in all, I think its a healthier climate.

The other advantage of Bloomington that no one seems to talk much about is that you're only a short distance from Indianapolis... a city that offers a lot of culture, entertainment, and opportunities.

I've visited that area and I think it would be much more comfortable living there than in NWI.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:27 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
I grew up not far from Valpo and currently reside in Bloomington. The weather is more different than you would expect for the short distance. Spring typically begins about a month earlier and fall lasts longer. Most winters bring less snow and less continuously cold temps. We do get more ice in Bloomington. It will take some adjusting to become used to eastern time. (my one BIG pet peeve about the state overall) After 8 years here, I still find the time ridiculous.

I was recently in the Chicago area and stopped at a grocery to purchase some items that I can't purchase in Bloomington. I was surprised to see the prices on many of the grocery items seemed to be a bit higher up there.

Bloomington schools serve about 2 times as many students as Valpo. The High schools here I suspect are better (based upon some insider info on Valpo HS and the latest releases of SAT scores). The elementary population is more diverse than Valpo. Some of the grade schools would compete with or exceed Valpo standards, some would not.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:35 PM

423 posts, read 1,248,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
It will take some adjusting to become used to eastern time. (my one BIG pet peeve about the state overall) After 8 years here, I still find the time ridiculous.
This is one thing I've never fully understood. I think Eastern time is terrific--possibly one of central Indiana's biggest selling points. While I can respect that it may be hard adjusting to it still being light (and hard to put the kids to bed) until around 10 pm in the summer, keep in mind this is the norm for most of Europe in the summer, and it certainly beats the alternative. As much as I love Chicago, it's unbearable from late November until late January when it is as black as night by 4:30 pm. We would have something like that if we were on Central time. To me that seems a good enough argument to stay with Eastern.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:37 PM

423 posts, read 1,248,169 times
I have to add that, though I've only been to Valparaiso briefly, it really seems to have come a long way in recent years. Maybe it's nowhere near as diverse as Bloomington, but it's much smaller, and it still has a college town feel, with eclectic local stores and some nice restaurants. The terminal moraine actually means you've got some hills up there too, which is basically unheard of in the Region. I'd say Valpo has quite a bit going for it.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:58 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,405,692 times
Thanks for the helpful posts so far, I realize it's a small group who have lived in both towns.

The only things about Bloomington that concern me so far are the high poverty rate and the low median income. However, I get the impression both may be unduly influenced by the large student body, neither of which should be included in economic statistics IMO. For example, I read that students are included in the poverty numbers, shown here as 41.6% (alarmingly high). The Bloomington population is 69K which would mean 28K living in poverty. However, the IU student population is 38K. Without knowing how students are included, poverty could actually be non-existent (among the non-student population) or anything up to alarmingly high. Same with median income. A puzzle to me...

Last edited by Midpack; 09-29-2009 at 11:08 AM..

Old 09-29-2009, 11:03 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Valpo is excellent. I highly recommend it and still have many friends from that area.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:40 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,855 times
We have visited Bloomington many times, and we have done extensive research on the area. The poverty #'s you mention do not reflect what we see when we visit. The many restaurants are busy with diners, the majority of the homes are well-cared for, the YMCA is hopping, the stores are not deserted and just overall, Bloomington does not seem like a poor community at all. I am guessing that the young students are considered in those reports. IMO, Bloomington seems to be flourishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana