Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2010, 08:36 AM

14 posts, read 38,372 times

Advertisements

Our real estate agent has made us aware of mining subsidence in SW Indiana. We're looking at buying a house just east of Bloomington. The insurance agent said he is not aware of any of his insureds in this area having subsidence insurance.

The online mining maps do not indicate the presence of old mining in the area -- but this is no guarantee that mining did not take place there.

We've read sad stories of 150-year-old mines finally collapsing, damaging foundations - or worse, taking land and houses down with them.

What is anyone's experience with this in eastern Monroe County? Do we pay the $100 premium or not bother?

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 10:55 AM

196 posts, read 696,850 times
I think the mine subsidence only covers coal mines. There are not any coal bearing rocks east of Bloomington, so no danger of a coal mine subsidence. The only underground coal mine I know of in Monroe County was a very small one west of town near Kirksville.

Anytime you have a question about geology in Indiana the folks at the Indiana Geological Survey can help you with free information.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:02 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
I think the mine subsidence only covers coal mines. There are not any coal bearing rocks east of Bloomington, so no danger of a coal mine subsidence. The only underground coal mine I know of in Monroe County was a very small one west of town near Kirksville.

Anytime you have a question about geology in Indiana the folks at the Indiana Geological Survey can help you with free information.
and it's located on the campus of IU!

sounds like a scam to me.

<a few minutes later>
WOW!!!! This is so freaking cool! Check this out!
http://coalminemaps.indiana.edu/viewer.htm

Old 04-02-2010, 11:24 AM

Not a scam, just a law written by lawers and state insurance folks in Indianapolis who didn't listen all that much to geologists.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:28 AM

Uplander and domergurl: THANKS. We checked out all the info online last night, including the IU maps, and you're right: Lots of good (and cool!) info there. It didn't appear to us that the area east of B'ton was ever utilized for mining.

Still, Monroe is definitely considered one of x-number of Indiana counties where subsidence insurance is available. However, just a bit further east, Brown County, is not.

The fact that our insurance agent didn't push it was also a clue.

From the maps, it looks like folks more in the SW "swath" need to be concerned about it.

Thanks for your input -- and anyone else forthcoming.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:37 AM

I think the law requires the coverage to be offered to homeowners in counties which contain coal-bearing rocks. Monroe has those in the western part of the county. The rocks in Brown county are older and are not coal-bearing.

It might be a good thing that the local insurance agents don't have to try to explain geology - it's not really their thing.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:53 AM

Uplander: Your statement re. offering the coverage is exactly what we've read, too... "Offered" not "required" nor even necessarily recommended.

Of course, it's tricky to get anyone's recommendation on whether such coverage is prudent or not.

And about insurance agents... Precisely!

Old 04-02-2010, 07:21 PM

96 posts, read 195,207 times
As someone who has worked in the P & C insurance industry and has experience with underwriting homeowners policies for your area of the state I will let you know that it has to be offered by your agent as a part of the application and underwriting process for your policy but RARELY does anyone actually request the coverage. I'd have to check our company's loss history on Mine Subsidence claims but I'd be willing to be it's close to 0 over the years I've been in the business.

Don't worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana