Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 02:59 AM

369 posts, read 682,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
the expo has been in Indy for 40 years. It's a huge revenue generator for the city ...
None of these conventions are "huge revenue" generators for the city. At most, it is a wash. With black expo, the odds are that all of the victims that were shot are poor, likely with no health care. How many hundreds of thousands of dollars did the taxpayers eventually pay out for all the cops, cleanup crews, medical care, etc..?? No one ever will know the truth.

I remember good old Bart Peterson proclaiming that as soon as we get the new billion dollar football field and convention center built, the city wouldn't have any budget issues due to the all the money the Colts and conventions would bring in. Years later, we lost our largest convention to Orlando, we now have to split the FAA, and GenCon corporate filed for bankruptcy so who knows for sure how long they will be around.

If there events were money makers for the city/state, there would have been no reason for an additional 1% food and beverage tax in Marion County, and a new .5% tax in the regional counties. The only people making money are Jim Ir$ay, the $imon family, a few law firms, a few real estate firms, a few construction firms, and a few politicians and their friends. That's how things roll in the US.

I remember an article in The Star trying to paint Black Expo as some massive money making event. They had it listed as #2 in terms of money spent. Of course those numbers are whatever the powers that be want them to be. What was funny is that if one did the math, and took their figures of attendees, number of days of the event, and total "economic benefit" they claimed, Black Expo attendees were the cheapest folks around. Yes, if you did the match, Black Expo was the worst in terms of attendees spending money. If you had GenCon or FFA for nine or so days, they would blow Black Expo out of the water in terms of total "economic benefit" spending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 07:23 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,611,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravekid View Post
I remember good old Bart Peterson proclaiming that as soon as we get the new billion dollar football field and convention center built, the city wouldn't have any budget issues due to the all the money the Colts and conventions would bring in. Years later, we lost our largest convention to Orlando, we now have to split the FAA, and GenCon corporate filed for bankruptcy so who knows for sure how long they will be around.
If you weren't being so negative you would see the stories about conventions coming to Indianapolis because of the new space. The only reason they were leaving in the first place was because the Convention Center was too small. And Lucas Oil Stadium won Indianapolis the chance to host a Super Bowl. That still probably doesn't make it a money maker, but it gives Indianapolis huge international attention which could help the city greatly in hosting even more conventions and other large events.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:41 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,553,055 times
Quote:
I remember good old Bart Peterson proclaiming that as soon as we get the new billion dollar football field and convention center built, the city wouldn't have any budget issues due to the all the money the Colts and conventions would bring in.
I call BS. Provide me a link to where Peterson stated this.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:06 PM

990 posts, read 1,727,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Can you provide a link to reports of violence around the Circle City Classic? Maybe something has happened recently, but I honestly don't remember anything.
I think it was about 5 years ago a former neighbor of ours - was killed during an altercation with a vehical he was riding in was shot at by another vehical during the classic festivities.(I just checked the obit it was 2005 and there was a small artical in the the paper I believe.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:50 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,211,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
Being outraged is one thing but what is he going to do about it to make sure that something like that cannot happen again?

I don't recall anything like this happening in downtown Chicago.
On a lesser scale, a stabbing occured in the Taste of Chicago this year.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
That still probably doesn't make it a money maker, but it gives Indianapolis huge international attention which could help the city greatly in hosting even more conventions and other large events.
Well, what happens when those convention promoters Google "downtown Indy" and come across "10 people shot in downtown Indy!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I call BS. Provide me a link to where Peterson stated this.
He said it on one of the TV stations. I believe it was WRTV (Channel 6, ABC). It was around the time he was trying to pass that tax right at the end of his term (or maybe it had just passed). He was asked why the city/state was spending a billion dollars on a football stadium if the city is broke. He gave the classic answer that was basically 'If we build it, a waterfall of money will come.' He specifically said something like 'Once we get the stadium and cc done, we won't have these problems.' Meaning they would somehow close these budget gaps with all this money coming in. He was at some function in some building and I believe he was put on the spot and didn't get to prepare his statements like politicians usually like to do. So he made the typical BS statements, but made some pretty outrageous statements about the income the city would see.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:42 AM

8,988 posts, read 17,327,754 times
Quote:
Well, what happens when those convention promoters Google "downtown Indy" and come across "10 people shot in downtown Indy!!"
If they are normal people; they will think "that is too bad" and move on.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:26 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,611,949 times
Quote:
Well as racist as it seems they will see black expo and say no surprise (as sad as that is) and continue to go to downtown Indy worry free. And this comes from a person who is half black too.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Well as racist as it seems they will see black expo and say no surprise (as sad as that is) and continue to go to downtown Indy worry free. And this comes from a person who is half black too.
Well, you have a point, and are 100% correct in that statement.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:43 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,553,055 times
Mom, son arrested in gang investigation | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

Update, and it's not a good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: