Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,634 times

Advertisements

Hi, I will move to Indianapolis in September to work in a downtown hotel as an intern for one year.

In which area of Indianapolis should I rent an apartment and what might be the rent per month in that area? ( I want to live alone)

I can’t drive very well so is there any public transportation in the city?

If there is no public transportation, how much money is required to buy a second hand car?

Thank you very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 10:53 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
If you are working downtown, and don't have a car, you should probably live downtown; or at the very least close to downtown. You could use the bus, but you have to make sure you plan your routes accordingly. It can be done if you plan for the bus; but this is not Chicago where another bus comes in 10 minutes or less. You miss your bus, you wait a half hour for the next. I, on occasion, bus from downtown to Castleton for work. They have not left me stranded or late yet.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:44 AM

3 posts, read 7,073 times
I would def. live downtown or at least somewhere close to downtown (biking distance maybe). There are some fairly cheap apts. Check out Zender (Home) or Van Rooy apartments online. You may be able to find some cheap rooms to rent as well in the area. There are some really nice spots in downtown. Good luck!

Old 08-11-2010, 03:52 PM

21 posts, read 52,117 times
Having lived in Indy. for about 18 years I would highly recommend getting a car. There are some nice places downtown, but having a car will really make a positive difference on your time in Indy. both from a practical perspective of getting groceries etc. & for getting around the city. Indianapolis has many positives & if you absolutely have to rely on public transportation then you can get by, but a car will make a world of difference especially in the winter.

There are some nice apartment complexes downtown & there are some not so nice apartment complexes downtown. Hopefully someone who's there now will post specific apartment recommendation for you, but in general-having a car is very worthwhile in Indy.

The people in Indy. are nice & the city is clean. One thing worth noting though, is that similar to most big cities, there are places that are nice & there are places to avoid. Within the Indianapolis thread there is a post running about 'Most dangerous neighborhood in Indianapolis?' It is well worth ones time to do thorough research before moving into a specific apartment complex. I really like Indy. & had great experiences there, but for the most part I lived in a really safe neighborhood about 10 miles from downtown. It pays to know where specifically you are moving-it'll make the entire experience there much better.

I posted several areas for outdoor recreation in Indy. on another thread yesterday & I'll re-post the relevant info. here. Hope it helps:

NOTE: One should use caution approaching evening at all these places. Common sense should keep you safe 98% of the time-but remember, Indy. has urban areas.
*The trails on the canal next to the NCAA Headquarters on 200 West Washington St. They are great for walking, running, riding a bike or rollerblading.
*Another great spot is the Monon Trail which connects the north side down to Broad Ripple & then further south towards 38th street.
*Eagle Creek Park/Resevior which is on the "west side" of the city, west of 465 & in between I-74 & I-65. There's a small fee to enter but it has some nice trails. The trees in the park are fairly amazing when the leaves are changing colors as well.
*Butler University-the areas around the "Holcomb Observatory" & Clowes Memorial Hall are very nice. It's just off of "Lake Road & north of 46th Street".
*Right next to Butler is the "IWC canal/Central Canal Trail" extends all the way down to 30th Street & up north to about 56th Street. From there it's an easy ride to "Broad Ripple". NOTE: The IWC Canal trail should not be used after dark because it is off from the main street & especially near 30th street, some of the neighborhoods near the trail may be near sketchy areas.
*Holiday Park

Have a great time during your internship. I hope it is a success & that your time in Indy. is enjoyable.

Last edited by AtlHous; 08-11-2010 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Adding safety for neighborhood & importance of finding right apartment.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:12 AM

114 posts, read 358,494 times
Default Good Luck

Another property manager with lots of choices is:
Indianapolis Apartments - Stallard & Associates

Also if you rent amount ceiling is too high for downtown apts you try craigslist.org online for a sharing or room rental situation.

If you're a student interning here from another college you might call IUPUI and the University of Indianapolis. let them know what you're doing and they may have some thoughts.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis