Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:44 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,152,937 times

Advertisements

Marsh to anchor massive new downtown development | 2012-01-24 | Indianapolis Business Journal | IBJ.com

That would be a nice welcome for the city to add a 3rd grocery store downtown but this would take away from lockerbie square though. Getting rid of those hideous OneAmerica lots is a definite plus. Sure, the city is on the hook for building a parking garage for OneAmerica but it's better to have one garage than the crappy lots they own currently.

Of course there's TIF BUT no property tax abatement and hopefully can anchor some nice infill heading up north Illinois and Capital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 12:25 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,516,928 times
that is BEAUTIFUL! great to see 1 less parking lot gone now we have dozens more to go.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:50 PM

423 posts, read 1,249,143 times
Does anyone know if this planned development is going to take up the entire city block? I thought the IBJ article would say, but it doesn't seem to have many details.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:20 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,271,677 times
It sounds to me like it will take up that whole block. Plus F&C own that little triangle parcel across the street along Indiana Ave. that they plan to build another phase of the Cosmopolitan on. I love that they're getting rid of those surface lots as well!

Old 01-25-2012, 09:47 AM

135 posts, read 181,339 times
There was a map in the star today showing exactly how much space the new developments are going to take up. The prospect of this has me pretty excited. Has anyone heard anything more recently about the proposal from last month to build a new high rise (26 floors maybe)on the canal at 9th st? I think with this new proposed project, coupled with the high rise on the canal and the growth of Cosmopolitan, the entire area will become much more vibrant. I would love to see some retail redevelopment along Indiana Avenue. Its a shame what happened to the original neighborhood there. I'm not sure how much this will actually detract from the Lockerbie Marsh. According to the paper, it is the 5th or 6th most successful store in the entire Marsh chain. Also, i'm sad to admit, when I lived by IUPUI, my girlfriend (now wife) and I usually just hopped on 65 and went to Wal Mart rather than the Lockerbie Marsh anyway. I knew a lot of others in Lockefield who did the same. I'm happy to say, I now live across the street from said Marsh and am in there about every day. Sorry, that was quite a ramble...

Old 01-25-2012, 10:17 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,300,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcolem View Post
There was a map in the star today showing exactly how much space the new developments are going to take up. The prospect of this has me pretty excited. Has anyone heard anything more recently about the proposal from last month to build a new high rise (26 floors maybe)on the canal at 9th st? I think with this new proposed project, coupled with the high rise on the canal and the growth of Cosmopolitan, the entire area will become much more vibrant. I would love to see some retail redevelopment along Indiana Avenue. Its a shame what happened to the original neighborhood there. I'm not sure how much this will actually detract from the Lockerbie Marsh. According to the paper, it is the 5th or 6th most successful store in the entire Marsh chain. Also, i'm sad to admit, when I lived by IUPUI, my girlfriend (now wife) and I usually just hopped on 65 and went to Wal Mart rather than the Lockerbie Marsh anyway. I knew a lot of others in Lockefield who did the same. I'm happy to say, I now live across the street from said Marsh and am in there about every day. Sorry, that was quite a ramble...
I will say this about the Marsh in Lockerbie, it is always busy and the workers there are more often than not, visibly overwhelmed or disinterested.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:28 AM

With regards to the high rise, yes it has been proposed and the owner of the lot the building will sit on is more than willing to sell. The problem will come from opposition as there are some that deem the building "too tall" for the canal. Ugh, it would be perfect for the canal and being to truly transform it.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:20 PM

644 posts, read 1,019,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
With regards to the high rise, yes it has been proposed and the owner of the lot the building will sit on is more than willing to sell. The problem will come from opposition as there are some that deem the building "too tall" for the canal. Ugh, it would be perfect for the canal and being to truly transform it.
Didn't realize we had nimbys living around the canal

Old 01-25-2012, 03:36 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,483,893 times
With respect to the Lockerbie store, the workers are very very good. We got the help we needed each time and the deli counter employees are great. They heard me complaining about no fresh french bread and got me some right out of the oven. They slice the Boars Head meat just right. The manager took a request and, when the product finally came in, called me personally. The store is always stocked and neat.

We can walk there so are there a lot. It is nice to get to know the individual employees.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieIndy View Post
Didn't realize we had nimbys living around the canal
what's a nimby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis