Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 01:14 AM

11 posts, read 16,255 times

Advertisements

I tried posting before about moving to Indy to go to IUPUI. We did end up getting Thompson Village Apartments on the Southside through Barrett and Stockley.Can anyone give me any advice about these apts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 10:11 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,760,644 times
Have you seen these reviews? They sound very promising.

Indianapolis Apartments~ Thompson Village Apartments

Old 04-17-2011, 03:28 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
Good quiet location but yet close to a wide variety of things. You can quickly get to Southern Plaza for a Kroger grocery, etc. Straight shot downtown on 135 which is Meridian Street. If problem, easy to get over to 31/East which is a bigger road downtown. So the options are great. If you go south on 135, there are all the grocery stores and whatever else you need and 31 has everything else. Lot cheaper than living downtown and a nice location.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:49 PM

9 posts, read 28,860 times
I used to live around that area and have to say you're in a halfway decent location. As you drive north towards downtown, most of the area off of US 31 gets crappier and is not so great. That southern plaza which will be nearby you to the north off of US 31 has a nice movie theater. But the Kroger and most of the other stores in that area are ghetto in my opinion. I always went south instead to do my grocery shopping at the Meijer in Greenwood. Anytime you go south, taking either US 31 or SR 135 (Meridian), it takes you to Greenwood which is nicer, plus there's a pretty decent mall in that area, Petsmart, WalMart, Super Target, Bally's, restaurants, etc.

If you're driving to IUPUI and not taking the bus, your best choice is to take US 31 downtown, which ends up turning into Madison Avenue. That street can get quite busy and you have to drive past Manual High School, so make sure you drive the speed limit when going past there since it's a cop trap. Your only other alternative would be to take 65 North into downtown, but you'd have to drive east for a few miles into Southport just to find a ramp to get onto 65.

Out of all the palces I lived at on the southside, Southport was my favorite since it was right next to 65and 465, wasn't too far south in hillbilly county, and had plenty of stores nearby to go shopping at.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:59 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,760,644 times
Anytime other than rush hour the best route downtown is "Bluff Road" which runs becomes "West Street". It's a nice straigt shot with minimal stops.
I very much agree with everything else in the two previous posts,
Welcome to Indy

Old 04-25-2011, 12:07 AM

Default THANK YOu

Thank you everyone who posted!! It made me feel a lot better of the choice that we made and plus we are close to everything which with these gas prices might be a good thing!!! i hope all is doing well!! thanks again!!

Old 04-25-2011, 04:24 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
Thompson Village is for sale per the newspaper this morning. Should not have too much effect on renters but just a FYI.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:23 AM

Does that happen a lot? I did not know that but it could be a bad thing especially since we havent moved in yet,

Old 04-26-2011, 02:10 AM

423 posts, read 1,248,704 times
Yes, that happens a lot, especially in this economy. Many apartment development companies have gone bankrupt, though from the news it seems that most of them have been on the north side.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:04 PM

That's surprising from what I hear the northside is the richer side. I just hope it doesnt affect us we are already on the deposit and approved and just need to sign the lease may 20th so I am keeping my fingers crossed it's for a decent business to buy it. Does rent usually raise as well when a new company purchases an apartment complex?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis