Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2011, 06:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,239 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I've been reading some threads here about where to live, and none of them seem to describe the right area. So I'll give ya'll the details:

I currently live on college by 465 and really enjoy this area, having just moved here in June. But my 2 future roommates both will be working on the far south side, so we've decided to look down there.

We are 3 very recent college grads who want to live in an area that is exciting and trendy. 2 of us would be self-described hipsters, if that helps paint the picture. We love concerts and such and just culture in general. We are not huge into partying(clubs, loud bars), but do enjoy going out to microbrews/pubs. This sounds extremely pretentious already... But ideally we are looking for a downtownish area. But like I said, I hardly know the area, so if there are others areas like Mass Ave or BR, please suggest away!

Hopefully you guys can come up with some grand ideas, I've not been so lucky browsing Criag's list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 06:54 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,720 times
Fountain Square is the place for you.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:17 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
I second Fountain Square. Loved living over there.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:32 AM

2 posts, read 2,239 times
Great guys, how about some specific apartment places? Like Toxic Toast, without giving away private info, which places would you specifically recommend based on your experience?

Old 08-23-2011, 11:19 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
I lived in a house, I don't know that I can really recommend any apartments in Fountain Square. There are not a lot of apartments to rent in Fountain Square outside of Wheeler Arts. There are plenty of rental houses and duplexes in Fountain Square, some nicer than others. Fountain Square has a different feel to it than Broad Ripple and Mass Ave, which is what I liked about it. The Square isn't for everyone, but I would move back in a heartbeat. The only reason I moved was because I bought a bigger house.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:20 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,413,339 times
If I was moving back to Indy and single, I'd pick Fountain Square in a heartbeat.

The only problem you're going to have locating a place is the fact that there are 3 of you. The apartments will be 1 or 2BRs and most of the homes for rent are on the smaller side (2 bed homes). There are 3 and 4s to be had in the area, though. Quality will vary dramatically in that area. You may get lucky and find a place that someone updated in the last 5 years or so where they're looking to move to another place they purchased while renting out the FS home. Others will look like they haven't been touched since the 1950s.

Just looking at Craiglist really quickly:

Heart of Fountain Sqaure!!! 3bd (http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/apa/2560861407.html - broken link)

Old 08-23-2011, 01:39 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
If I was moving back to Indy and single, I'd pick Fountain Square in a heartbeat.

The only problem you're going to have locating a place is the fact that there are 3 of you. The apartments will be 1 or 2BRs and most of the homes for rent are on the smaller side (2 bed homes). There are 3 and 4s to be had in the area, though. Quality will vary dramatically in that area. You may get lucky and find a place that someone updated in the last 5 years or so where they're looking to move to another place they purchased while renting out the FS home. Others will look like they haven't been touched since the 1950s.

Just looking at Craiglist really quickly:

Heart of Fountain Sqaure!!! 3bd (http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/apa/2560861407.html - broken link)
correct.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:04 AM

423 posts, read 1,248,704 times
Thirded on Fountain Square. If apartments are a bit of a problem, you might try somewhat north of there, like Irish Hill, Highland Park/Holy Cross or Cottage Home, though those might not necessarily be any better. The Near East side sank the lowest, and while its up-and-coming status is bona fide (and thus prime hipster grazing country), the roughness means a lot of things are not yet up to date. Of the neighborhoods listed, Fountain Square has the most going on.

Good luck getting up and down Virginia Avenue until the Cultural Trail is finished being constructed, though!

Old 09-01-2011, 02:46 PM

225 posts, read 755,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavey View Post
Hi everyone, I've been reading some threads here about where to live, and none of them seem to describe the right area. So I'll give ya'll the details:

I currently live on college by 465 and really enjoy this area, having just moved here in June. But my 2 future roommates both will be working on the far south side, so we've decided to look down there.

We are 3 very recent college grads who want to live in an area that is exciting and trendy. 2 of us would be self-described hipsters, if that helps paint the picture. We love concerts and such and just culture in general. We are not huge into partying(clubs, loud bars), but do enjoy going out to microbrews/pubs. This sounds extremely pretentious already... But ideally we are looking for a downtownish area. But like I said, I hardly know the area, so if there are others areas like Mass Ave or BR, please suggest away!

Hopefully you guys can come up with some grand ideas, I've not been so lucky browsing Criag's list.
I also think you would like the Mass. Ave. cultural district. There are some apartments around there, the most well-known in the vicinity being Riley Towers. The other area I'd recommend considering is the canal district, which is northwest along Indiana Ave. There are some luxury apartment complexes in the area that you should consider. I think you would enjoy both of these areas, but I'd recommend researching each of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: