Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 02:01 PM

25 posts, read 38,609 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy a house in Indianapolis or its suburbs. We both have job offers downtown. We have a baby. We have lived mostly in cities in different parts of the world, (in the US - Pittsburgh, Boston etc) but are willing to try the suburbs too, if we must for safety. Our priorities are a decent commute to downtown, low crime and a house that is no more than 2200-2500 sq feet, with easy mainteneance and a neighborhood with children. Also, importantly, a community that would fit in, as Asians. Like I said, ideally we would love to live in the city (we have never tried suburban living), but want to make sure the neighborhood is safe and we/our child would be accepted culturally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 02:10 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,516,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masaro1 View Post
We are looking to buy a house in Indianapolis or its suburbs. We both have job offers downtown. We have a baby. We have lived mostly in cities in different parts of the world, (in the US - Pittsburgh, Boston etc) but are willing to try the suburbs too, if we must for safety. Our priorities are a decent commute to downtown, low crime and a house that is no more than 2200-2500 sq feet, with easy mainteneance and a neighborhood with children. Also, importantly, a community that would fit in, as Asians. Like I said, ideally we would love to live in the city (we have never tried suburban living), but want to make sure the neighborhood is safe and we/our child would be accepted culturally.

You could look at the Carmel area for a Family Friendly place. Also the Commute is short.
Basically anywhere in Indianapolis will have a short commute cause traffic congestion isn't a major problem here.
Also if you want to be technically in the city you could look into Franklin Township area and build a new home since theres some undeveloped land there. A little bit more info would really help

Old 10-17-2011, 04:05 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,297,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masaro1 View Post
To clarify something, the previous poster does not live here and you should consider that when someone is telling the commute from Carmel into downtown Indianapolis is short. It is not short. Depending on where you are coming from in Carmel it is quite a headache. There is a reason commuter buses exist from Carmel into downtown where they don't exist coming from the other 'burbs.

If you want to stick to the city, you might look into the Meridian Kessler area. There are some families in Irvington on the east side, as well as Emerson Heights and Little Flower. I am in Englewood, and there are a lot of kids on my block, but I live in one of those areas the suburbanites are scared out of their mind to visit. There are a lot of rehab houses down here.

You can venture out into one of the surrounding townships in Marion County, plenty of families in various parts. Washington Township has the best rep for schools, followed by Lawrence and Franklin.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:40 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,516,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
To clarify something, the previous poster does not live here and you should consider that when someone is telling the commute from Carmel into downtown Indianapolis is short. It is not short. Depending on where you are coming from in Carmel it is quite a headache. There is a reason commuter buses exist from Carmel into downtown where they don't exist coming from the other 'burbs.

If you want to stick to the city, you might look into the Meridian Kessler area. There are some families in Irvington on the east side, as well as Emerson Heights and Little Flower. I am in Englewood, and there are a lot of kids on my block, but I live in one of those areas the suburbanites are scared out of their mind to visit. There are a lot of rehab houses down here.

You can venture out into one of the surrounding townships in Marion County, plenty of families in various parts. Washington Township has the best rep for schools, followed by Lawrence and Franklin.
When i say carmel i mean the south side close to I-465.
Ya if your on the north side of Carmel Keystone/Meridian Street can be *Fun* for a commute each day.
Also forgot to mention Washington/Pike Township. You should take a look at those areas as those areas are within the city.
(Brain Fart lol)

Old 10-18-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
When i say carmel i mean the south side close to I-465.
This makes no sense. You are telling someone who is not familiar with the area that the commute from Carmel is short because the commute from the southern tip of Carmel isn't too bad? I can tell you from experience, the 96th and Keystone intersection is an absolute clusterf***. If you live in that southern part of Carmel, your commute to downtown sucks. If you are coming down from 96th and Meridian, your commute sucks. If you are coming from 131st and Towne, your commute sucks. It is irresponsible to tell someone that the commute from Carmel into downtown Indy is "short."

Old 10-18-2011, 06:26 AM

891 posts, read 2,451,027 times
As far as the commute from Carmel being short, long, easy, difficult, - it all depends on what you are used to. Compared to Boston, I'm sure carmel would seem like a breeze. Compared to Pittsburgh, I would guess the commute is comparable to Pittsburgh.

Overall I think it is rather easy myself.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:50 AM

OP is not used to the 'burbs, and may have a perspective closer to mine in that regard. When I have made the commute from Carmel into downtown during rush hour, it felt like it took forever. 40-50 minutes for a commute full of stop lights is normal to some people, it is tortourous to me. I spent 2 months commuting along Keystone Ave over the summer, I hated it. I can't imagine having to do that everyday for years. With the traffic calming projects underway near Meridian and Westfield, I can not imagine volunteering to rely on that road daily. My wife reverse commuted from downtown up to West Clay for a couple of years. She complained about it all the time. Some people do it for years and don't mind it, more power to them.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:21 AM

114 posts, read 358,664 times
Default Neighborhoods

I'm going to suggest looking at the Southwest side of Indy.

To define this I would say - and this is my interpretation - south of Eppler Road and north of Meridian School Road. Than East of Rt 37 and west of Meridian Road.

Your commute time is 10 - 25 minutes from north edge to south edge of this grid.

Safe neighborhoods as a comparison to other parts of INDY.

Traffic and commuting much easier than the north side or even worse the northeast side (Fishers and Castleton)

Regarding the diversity issue. There are those on here who say the southside is - using words I've seen on here before (NOT MY WORDS) - rednecks and racists. The odd thing about that is there are far more Hispanic, Asian, Black and other minorities living on the south side (more towards the Madison Ave area) than anywhere in liberal/progressive Carmel. The southwest side is less diverse than the area I previously mentioned.

I can't speak to the issues of neighborhoods with children or schools as I have no knowledge in that area.

Good luck and welcome to Indianapolis.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:54 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,539,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybemover96b View Post
The odd thing about that is there are far more Hispanic, Asian, Black and other minorities living on the south side (more towards the Madison Ave area) than anywhere in liberal/progressive Carmel.
Actually, as it relates to Asians (which appears to be the OP's primary concern), that's not true, based on enrollment figures for Carmel High School and the two Perry Township high schools.

http://compass.doe.in.gov/Dashboard....el+High+School

http://compass.doe.in.gov/Dashboard....rt+High+School

http://compass.doe.in.gov/Dashboard....an+High+School

Old 10-18-2011, 10:11 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,152,217 times
SS is in general safer overall than the NS. Some family friendly areas are Beech Grove which is relatively close to downtown. Wanamaker is great, it's like a village in the city with lots of families, quiet, established and a straight shot into downtown via Southeastern Avenue, Franklin Township schools. Acton is like being away from everything but Souteastway park is in Acton which is a great park, one of the largest in the city.

If you wanted to be closer to amenities, Anywhere between Edgewood and Stop 11 (North South) and Franklin Road and just east of Madison (East and West) are good areas, Either Franklin or Perry schools depending on which side of Emerson you fall on. Quick access to the interstate via Southport road @ I65, restaurants, hotels, etc. all around there. Meijer, Target, Wallyworld, Kroger, Home Depot, Menards, LA Fitness and some other one as well all within minutes of one another out there. Mostly subdivisions and some apartments mostly fall on the higher end price range so they do not just get anybody living there. Heavy industry isn't allowed in Franklin Township and you will notice that.

Being Asian on the SS won't be any different than being Asian on the NS, that's just north side conjecture. For instance, my immediate neighbors are literally 4 months in moving from Tokyo and outside of the language barrier with them not knowing English yet, it's all good in da hood. All of the kids play together without issue other than kids being kids (they speak english way better than their parents). Plus having plenty of Indians living in my addition and so far everyone has gotten along pretty good and this is in one of "those" areas where racisim is just supposed to run rampant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis