Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 09:22 AM

62 posts, read 169,673 times

Advertisements

Hello, I live on the southside of Indy and was wondering if anyone knew of any good/fun things to do during the fall/winter. Whether it is outdoor activities or really anything that would be a good time with freinds or dates and so on.....Any opinions are welcomed!! Thanks a ton!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 09:28 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,516,023 times
Walk the Canal before it gets cold
I believe Connor Prarie has somethings to do in the fall.
This Thanksgiving come down to Monument Circle to watch it become the worlds largest Christmas Tree.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:39 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,117,403 times
I think Fall is the best time to explore our state parks.

Brown County is probably the most popular(and crowded). A nice day trip would be hiking/mountain biking/ and/or horseback riding in the park followed by dinner at The Story Inn or Big Woods Brewing.

If you want to enjoy the fall color, but escape the crowds, consider Versailles, Shades or Turkey Run instead.

Bit longer drive for you, but Madison is interesting and you can visit Clifty Falls SP. They have a historic homes tour closer to Christmas.

Don't forget the check out XC skiing at Eagle Creek Park in Indy a day or two after we get our first decent snowfall. Skis can be rented at the marina.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:56 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,152,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I think Fall is the best time to explore our state parks.

Brown County is probably the most popular(and crowded). A nice day trip would be hiking/mountain biking/ and/or horseback riding in the park followed by dinner at The Story Inn or Big Woods Brewing.

If you want to enjoy the fall color, but escape the crowds, consider Versailles, Shades or Turkey Run instead.

Bit longer drive for you, but Madison is interesting and you can visit Clifty Falls SP. They have a historic homes tour closer to Christmas.

Don't forget the check out XC skiing at Eagle Creek Park in Indy a day or two after we get our first decent snowfall. Skis can be rented at the marina.
Definitely take advantage of Brown County, you will not be disappointed esp. taking a date. Take in IMA and 100 acres if you do not want to venture too far north. For the most part if you are on the south side, Brown County, which is a quick drive down 135 and down towards bloomington via SR37. There's also the covered bridges of Parke County which is very nice and all bridges of madison county romantic.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:28 PM
REM

368 posts, read 995,351 times
The zoo is always fun around the holiday season. You could go ice skating downtown or st the fair grounds, there really isn't as much to do when it gets cold as in the summer.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:39 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,079,569 times
You need to order or download a copy of the Indiana Festival Guide.

Indiana Travel Brochures

Indiana State Festivals Association

I always get a copy when they come out in late Jan. or early February. As others have stated, state parks are pretty nice. Not too hot to hike. Here are some ideas:

-Brown Co. SP and surrounding area. They have a lodge with an indoor water park. In addition, Nashville is a small town with a lot of shops to visit and a few food places to grab a bit to eat. Like Indianapolis, Nashville has their own tree lighting festival the day after Thanksgiving. Just NE of Nashville, near Taggart Indiana is a country store called Gatesville Country Store. There is a stream outback and the lady that owns the store allows folks to pan for gold for a few bucks an hour. I think she also sells and rents panning equipment. They said that glaciers actually brought gold down into Indiana, and there isn't much at all, so your chances of finding some are slim, but it might be fun either way. Just east of here is Columbus, IN. I know they have a small air museum. A little further north up I-65 are two places of interest. For shopping, there is Edinburgh Outlet Mall. If you head up to the actual town of Edinburgh, you have Not Just Popcorn (Not Just Popcorn - Home Page) A great place for popcorn lovers. West of the town of Edinburgh is the Atterbury State Fish and Wildlife Area. They have a very popular shooting range there, also an archery range, but I've never been there. Head south on I-65 and you get the Seymour area with another outlet mall and the Muscatatuck National Wildlife Refuge. Even further south and you are basically in the Louisville metro are. A few caves in that area, with Squire Boone Caverns and some parks along the way. Also, a little west of here is the childhood home of Abe Lincoln.

-Parke County area. Covered bridges, three large "festival" towns of Rockville, Bridgeton, and Mansfield. In the northern part of the county are two great state parks, Turkey Run and Shades. Welcome to Parke County, Indiana ~ Covered Bridge Capital of the World

-SW you have Bloomington, Morgan-Monroe State Forest, and further south you will hit Spring Mill State Park near Mitchell, IN. They have a pioneer village at Spring Mill SP, though I think it closes down when weather gets really cold. Also in this area is the Hoosier Nat'l. Forest.

-SE you have Metamora, which during the first two or three weekends before Christmas they have a "Christmas Village." Metamora is similar to Nashville, IN, but a little more spread out. They line the streets with luminaries. I highly recommend a trip to Metamora. Dress warm! They also have an old grist mill that still works and they will have two barrel fires going to warm up if need be. Also in this area is Brookville Reservoir. There are a few state parks and rec areas around the reservior.

-Indy area: A ton of municipal parks. Ice staking is a popular winter activity, a few places in the metro area to ice skate. Another thing is to check out Holcomb Observatory at Butler. A good date place. Holcomb Observatory & Planetarium Home - Butler University

-Another solely winter activity that is popular in Indiana is the toboggan run at Pokagan State Park north of Ft. Wayne. I've yet to go there, maybe this winter? I have wanted to go for years now, but always forget about going or have other things going on.

There is actually a lot to do in Indiana, but for some, you have to be willing to drive a few hours.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:24 AM

10 posts, read 32,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
The zoo is always fun around the holiday season. You could go ice skating downtown or st the fair grounds, there really isn't as much to do when it gets cold as in the summer.
Anyone know if ice skating is popular on ponds in the area?

Old 11-01-2011, 08:39 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,539,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityartisan View Post
Anyone know if ice skating is popular on ponds in the area?
It doesn't get cold enough, long enough here for pond skating to be safe.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:00 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,516,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I wouldn't say that depending on the pond.
However as always i recommend taking a drill and see how thick the ice is.
If its an inch or more thick you should be ok.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:05 AM

10 posts, read 32,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
OK No problem. I'll just have to remember to bring that portable pond freezing iron when coming to visit. Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis