Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 02:18 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times

Advertisements

Ok, so the state and Amazon has come to an agreement with regards to the sales tax they currently do not pay for online orders. This is set to start in 2014, wow, that's not exactly right around the corner. I don't know how I feel about it just yet. I see both sides, but I guess in the end it is unfair to not have to pay a sales tax when all other hoosiers do who just happen to shop at a mall or someplace.

What I do see happening though, is 2014 Amazon once again pulling up shop and heading for another state where they do not have to pay the sales tax. That's what brought them to Indiana in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 02:24 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Na Msam because all the other states are doing it too.
However everyone should take note to this.
Last year Illinois tries to pass a law forcing online retailers to collect sales taxes.
Companies like CouponCabin.com just flee to Indiana and Illinois gains very little in revenue.
Now Indiana ask Amazon.com nicely to please Collect sales tax and doesn't pass a law and Amazon.com agrees and since a law wasn't past the businesses that left Illinois for Indiana over their law stay here keeping the jobs here.
Sounds like a Win Win to me.
As the old saying goes you get more when your nice

Old 01-09-2012, 02:28 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Well, the state is asking for federal legislation to make it mandatory across the board which would definitely level the playing field and something I personally agree with. The fat cats will probably spend more lobbying against it than they would if they just paid the taxes. I'm sure the state didn't just ask nicely and Amazon said oh ok. The Simon lawsuit definitely had a hand in that.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Well, the state is asking for federal legislation to make it mandatory across the board which would definitely level the playing field and something I personally agree with. The fat cats will probably spend more lobbying against it than they would if they just paid the taxes. I'm sure the state didn't just ask nicely and Amazon said oh ok. The Simon lawsuit definitely had a hand in that.
ya but i do agree with you the federal government needs to decide this but Washington D.C is so dysfunctional it might take until Obama is gone in 2012 to pass something like this.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:14 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
ya but i do agree with you the federal government needs to decide this but Washington D.C is so dysfunctional it might take until Obama is gone in 2012 to pass something like this.
Indiana's government is just as dysfunctional, and we have a republican governor

Old 01-09-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Indiana's government is just as dysfunctional, and we have a republican governor
oh give me a break our state gets stuff done.
just a short list here
Indiana has the best business climatein the midwest and is #2 in the country for GDP growth in 2010-2011.
Indiana grew FASTER than any other state in the Northeast Quarter of the US. Thats higher than any NE state and our neighbors.
Indiana is one of only 9 states with a AAA bond rating from all 3 credit rating agencies.
Indiana cut property taxes and capped them at 1% of a homes value which is among one of the lowest in the nation.
Indiana has a balanced budget and has had a better economy than most of the country and neighboring states because we didn't have to make massive government layoffs and cuts during the recession instead we cut waste BEFORE the recession.
Indiana is about to have one of the most extensive interstate connections in the country with I-69 finally going to Evansville.
Projects that were neglected and ignored for a long time are getting done like the Heartland corridor and the Fort to Port.
Indianapolis is one of the fastest growing regions in the midwest and has an unemployment rate below both the state and national average. Heck its lower than many bigger and similar sized metros that aren't in texas or NYC.

Do i really need to contiune listing the accomplishments or do you get the idea?

Old 01-09-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
oh give me a break our state gets stuff done.
just a short list here
Indiana has the best business climatein the midwest and is #2 in the country for GDP growth in 2010-2011.
Indiana grew FASTER than any other state in the Northeast Quarter of the US. Thats higher than any NE state and our neighbors.
Indiana is one of only 9 states with a AAA bond rating from all 3 credit rating agencies.
Indiana cut property taxes and capped them at 1% of a homes value which is among one of the lowest in the nation.
Indiana has a balanced budget and has had a better economy than most of the country and neighboring states because we didn't have to make massive government layoffs and cuts during the recession instead we cut waste BEFORE the recession.
Indiana is about to have one of the most extensive interstate connections in the country with I-69 finally going to Evansville.
Projects that were neglected and ignored for a long time are getting done like the Heartland corridor and the Fort to Port.
Indianapolis is one of the fastest growing regions in the midwest and has an unemployment rate below both the state and national average. Heck its lower than many bigger and similar sized metros that aren't in texas or NYC.

Do i really need to contiune listing the accomplishments or do you get the idea?
What has our state government accomplished so far this session? Exactly how many metros are located in New York City that Indianapolis is outgrowing? The Bronx?

Old 01-09-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Na Msam because all the other states are doing it too.
Tennessee isn't. Didn't Amazon just open a giant facility of some sort in Tennessee? Sounds like someone could be hedging their bets.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:22 PM

815 posts, read 2,998,701 times
Amazon closed it's warehouse in Munster (NW Indiana) over two years ago, though it served mostly Illinois customers. Does anybody else know if they have a physical presence anywhere else in Indiana?

Old 01-09-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
Amazon closed it's warehouse in Munster (NW Indiana) over two years ago, though it served mostly Illinois customers. Does anybody else know if they have a physical presence anywhere else in Indiana?

yes they have 4 warehouses in the Indianapolis area.
Well soon to be 4 they are opening one up atm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis