Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 05:36 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,154,470 times

Advertisements

Living out of the Hampton Inn on South Meridian without wheels for 2 months? That sounds like a bust. At least get a bike and sturdy chain with lock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 06:50 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
I second slippery noodle inn! that's most definitely walkable ... especially after imbibing on a few brews. Expense report a dinner or two or three at St. Elmo's steakhouse.

Can you walk up the soldiers and sailors monument yet???

For the cheesy factor ... we have a restaurant that spins high above Indianapolis ... the eagle's nest.

yes, there is a craft beer scene in Indianapolis.

You'll be FINE!!!!! As you meet people and they hear you're from NYC, you'll be welcomed with open arms.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:51 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,516,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I second slippery noodle inn! that's most definitely walkable ... especially after imbibing on a few brews. Expense report a dinner or two or three at St. Elmo's steakhouse.

Can you walk up the soldiers and sailors monument yet???

For the cheesy factor ... we have a restaurant that spins high above Indianapolis ... the eagle's nest.

yes, there is a craft beer scene in Indianapolis.

You'll be FINE!!!!! As you meet people and they hear you're from NYC, you'll be welcomed with open arms.
Welcomed with open arms.........
Hoosiers think alike i have to say
Exactly what i would of said domer.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:15 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,539,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray718 View Post
Hello all,

I will be in Indianapolis for business for 2 months while living out of the Hampton inn on South Meridian St.

Any recommendations of where to spend my time on the weekends? I will not have a car at my immediate disposal.

I'm already feeling extremely homesick and I haven't even left yet . i'm a 29 y/o active male from new york city. I'm excited to experience this midwestern city and do not know what to expect.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
I think you'll find downtown very walkable and bike-friendly. As you'll be in town for business, I'm assuming that most of your days will be spent dealing with.....business. For time off, might I suggest:

1. White River State Park --The NCAA Hall of Champions (museum), the Indiana State Museum and Eiteljorg Museum.
2. The Indianapolis Zoo
3. The canal walk
4. The Indiana Historical Society
5. A trip to the top of the Indiana Soldiers and Sailors Monument
6. See a play at the Indiana Reperatory Theater or at one of the various independent theaters around downtown -- The Phoenix Theater, Theater on the Square, etc.
7. Attend a Pacers game.
8. Shop and eat (preferably at one of the local establishments downtown or in an adjacent area such as Fountain Square).
9. Get a bike and use the trail system to take you to other parts of the city.
10. Attend a symphony performance at the Hilbert Circle Theater.

Just to name a few....

Enjoy!

Old 02-12-2012, 01:32 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,414,396 times
Re: beers. Sun King and Upland are probably the most common local brews, although I 'm partial to other Midwest breweries like Goose Island and Bell's, which are also available in many places. There are a number of bars on S. Meridian, but other than the Slippery Noodle (or the Whistle Stop if i want a divey place), I prefer Mass Ave, which is probably a safe 10 to 15 min walk from where you are. Bars/restaurants to check out:

Ball & Biscuit | a bar and lounge

Good beers of the local variety and small plates.

The Rathskeller

An Indianapolis institution. Closest thing to a beer hall in Munich you can find in the midwest at the very least...quite possibly in the US. Nice import list.

Chatham Tap - Drinks Summary (http://www.chathamtap.com/ordereze/Content/2/Summary.aspx - broken link)

Show EPL soccer if you're into that. Good selection of imports + MW and local beers.

Black Market Indy

Gotta plug this one. Nice Belgian list and really strong food.

The chatterbox is a nice small Jazz joint as well.

Others have posted suggestions, and I would highly rec. getting a bike to get around a bit better. Outside of the immediate downtown area, Indy is in no way walkable, although they do have a very good trail system. Taking the Monon could get you up to College Ave and Broad Ripple for example or up around Butler, which is a beautiful setting.

Other stuff: short term gym membership at NIFS is a really good deal. They have 15-day promos as well.

The Murphy art center in Fountain Square does a First Friday gallery thing. Fountain square has a decent pub or two as well and duckpin bowling, which is a lot of fun if you can find people who want to kill a couple hours on a Saturday.

If you're a hoops junkie, I'd rec. a trip to see a Butler game at Hinkle fieldhouse...it would kind of be like seeing Temple or St. Joe at the Palestra in Phil.

You're living out of a hotel and it sounds like you don't know anyone here. DT Indy is not going to blow you away for a 2 month stay, but there is enough to break up the work-hotel-work-hotel monotony. For the record: I do think it's screwed up they aren't sending you back to NYC for the weekends. I would hate not getting trips home, BUT, the other option for a weekend getaway or two would be a bus ride up to Chicago. You're only a couple of blocks from the Greyhound station, and you can get up there in abt 3.5 hrs.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:11 AM

16 posts, read 24,942 times
thank you everyone for your detailed reco's . very much appreciated

Old 02-12-2012, 09:06 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
we want you to have fun! thats how we roll.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:59 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,482,498 times
We also have a Megabus stop downtown not too many blocks from where you are so you could do a Chicago trip.

Make sure you try Adobo Grill downtown. Very nice Mexican restaurant with a website so you can check out any special activities they are having. Nice bar with very experienced bartender.

There is a very new burger bar on Mass Ave. I think called Bru or something like it. Right next to Starbucks. Check out the bar.

Make sure you get a copy every Wed. of NUVO our local free alternative newspaper for a listing of all weekly activities. They are usually everywhere.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:25 PM

16 posts, read 24,942 times
thanks guys n gals!

what types of food are staples to the local surrounding area?

Dirty water hotdogs and street pizza are to nyc as __________ is to indy?

Old 02-15-2012, 07:23 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,414,396 times
There isn't a staple that you can always rely upon that is particularly unique to Indianapolis. One food that I do think is really good here that you don't see much of out East is a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. Those things, when done well, I really, really miss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis