Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 10:46 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
K, I've kind of stayed on the sidelines for a bit. S.Davis, while your data isn't in and of itself flawed, it is merely looking at percentages instead of physically going down into the housing tracts. Plus let's face it a salon.com article just doesn't speak high quality. You have to take into account that whites make up roughly 70% of the American population so there will be numerous all white neighborhoods just due to the sheer population difference. The difference between a city like Indianapolis and take any city along the 94 corridor between Gary and Milwaukee and it's as simple as knowing where a person lives given the skin tone. The 94 corridor you pretty much KNOW who lives where with a sprinkling of one or two other groups in certain neighborhoods. Indianapolis, it's hard pressed to find a neighborhood without 1 white, 1 black and 1 hispanic in it. Even the worst neighborhoods in Indianapolis has all three at any given time living there. That's one of the big differences between the reports you've shown vs. Broad and UWM study. In it's totality, KC might be in between Indianapolis and extreme IL-IN-WI.

KCMO I see got props in the forum.

One of the things that tends to vault Indianapolis ahead of KC is well location. Indianapolis is perfectly located whereas KC well you are in the middle of nowhere with the closest city of value being STL at 4 hours. Granted, they could make the trip to Topeka but seriously. MO has the Zarks but for us the same travel time, you're climbing mount baldy or catching some LM sun, skiing in Tell City or the Pines in Valpo or enjoying nature in Hoosier National Forest or the covered bridges in Parke County on top of day trips to Louisville, Cincy and Chicago. You can also gamble it up at Indiana Live or hit the Ohio River Riverboats or catch a nice horse race. While we do not have an amusement park and no Indiana Beach does not count as one , it doesn't deter anything as the location of the city allows people to travel pretty freely to areas where they exist.

At this juncture, you would think KC would be on par with Denver as both areas are the premier destination amid nothingness. Denver maximizes on its remote location but KC just seems to fizzle out in that regard. Other than that, there are about the same amount of Museums. KC has more fountains, Indianapolis has more monuments. KC has more BBQ, Indianapolis has more well racing. Sports tends to be Indianapolis' niche where it just doesn't appear that KC really found theirs yet. Indianapolis definitely has more regional cooperation. At the end of the day, Indianapolis wins that. KC even you've had to admit in the KC forum some of the backwards, outdated ways KC does things compared to Indianapolis.
^ agree with most of this. I think KC's biggest problem is it's so busy fighting with its own suburbs that it doesn't even try to compete with places like Denver.

KC was once a pretty big city relatively speaking and has lost a lot of ground, especially for a city west of the rust belt. I don't think there are any cities that have less regional cooporation. Maybe detroit?

Indy is on the other end of that spectrum and I have a lot of respect for that and what they are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 11:29 AM

6,341 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
What in the hell are you talking about? I think you are just a bit nuts .

Seriously dude, kc is not out to get you.
What am I talking about? The Moron stuffed a rag into my crankcase INSTEAD of replacing the oil cap. And tires inflated to twice the manufacturer's recommendations. That is dangerous. These incidents and others were done intentionally and were not by accident.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:39 AM
REM

368 posts, read 995,046 times
Quote:
You're young.
That's no excuse, I'm only 3 years younger than him and even I wasn't that disillusioned at that age.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:56 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
What am I talking about? The Moron stuffed a rag into my crankcase INSTEAD of replacing the oil cap. And tires inflated to twice the manufacturer's recommendations. That is dangerous. These incidents and others were done intentionally and were not by accident.
Find a new place to get your oil changed. This has nothing to do with KC and everything to do with the moronic place you took your car to.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Find a new place to get your oil changed. This has nothing to do with KC and everything to do with the moronic place you took your car to.
I have a strong sixth sense and I can tell when I am being singled out by others. I've had to deal with too much of it in KC. Never saw it in Indy or really in another other place I lived.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:17 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
WILWRadio Indiana doesn't like racism we find it to be garbage in our state
Ever since the KKK was kicked out of our state in the 1920s Hoosiers basically have very little tolorance of racism.
I don't have tolorance of Racism either.
I have a black friend who went to an (unnamed Italian restaurant in Greenwood) for dinner. He and his wife placed their food order and were waiting. The same waiter was at the next table over taking their food order. I forget how it was brought up, but the waiter and the diners at the table started trading racist jokes using terms like "them blackies." Uproarious laughter at that table at the expense of black folk ensued. My friend and his wife got up and left the restaurant. This was maybe 3 months ago.

I am not saying this represents any type of majority, but a racially harmonious utopia Indiana is not.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I have a black friend who went to an (unnamed Italian restaurant in Greenwood) for dinner. He and his wife placed their food order and were waiting. The same waiter was at the next table over taking their food order. I forget how it was brought up, but the waiter and the diners at the table started trading racist jokes using terms like "them blackies." Uproarious laughter at that table at the expense of black folk ensued. My friend and his wife got up and left the restaurant. This was maybe 3 months ago.

I am not saying this represents any type of majority, but a racially harmonious utopia Indiana is not.
It exists in most areas of the country though in some places it is definitely more overt in some areas and subtle in others.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:16 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times
Quote:
S.Davis, while your data isn't in and of itself flawed, it is merely looking at percentages instead of physically going down into the housing tracts. Plus let's face it a salon.com article just doesn't speak high quality....In it's totality, KC might be in between Indianapolis and extreme IL-IN-WI.
1. It's not my data, it's the US census data.

2. It's not a salon.com article. Its a study done by two researches who literally study race and urban sociology for a living. Summaries of their research was widely reported. Here's a link to the report: www.s4.brown.edu/us2010/Data/Report/report2.pdf

3. You can argue the merits of the Index of Dissimilarity as a measure of "segregation", but ultimately you end up merely arguing what the word segregation means, i.e., "how many non-white households on a block make that block 'integrated'?" The U of Wisconsin at Milwaukee (talk about a biased source) study says 1/5. Seems pretty arbitrary to me, because it is. Most demographers prefer the Index of Dissimilarity, because measuring by block presents a host of statistical problems that are impossible to control for.

Even by the arbitrary standard used in the UWM, KC is still the 11th most integrated large city in America with 21.2% of its residents living in "integrated blocks" and Indy is only marginally better at 24.4%. That would mean that 3.2% more Indianapolis residents live on more integrated blocks than KC.

Its also worth noting that that is ten-year old data, and every bit of demography shows notably rapid desegregation occuring in Kansas City over the last decade.

I think the Isolation index is more important, but Kansas City does better than Indy on that scale, too, though not by as much.

My larger point is that Kansas City is not very segregated by ANY measure.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:15 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I have a strong sixth sense and I can tell when I am being singled out by others.
Is that also known as paranoid schizophrenia?

Old 02-23-2012, 04:48 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post

Racism is everywhere sadly so ill rephrase what i said so it makes more sense.
Generally speaking hoosiers don't tolorate racism.
Better for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis