Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 06:53 PM

9 posts, read 14,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Nevermind Vlajos. He's just a Chicago-area Indy hater who likes to come into this forum and annoy us with his typical Chicago-centric attitude. I'm a Toledo native myself. Take it to the bank -- Indy's downtown is light years ahead of Toledo. So, if downtown living is what you're after, I think you'll be very happy.

I'll leave it to others to speak more about the Holy Cross neighborhood specifically. I've been through it several times. Very tidy, but also small. You don't have to go too much further east before you'd swear you were in East Toledo or Polish Village (which, unfortunately, has become so run down

Good luck in your move.
What part of Toledo are you from? I grew up in the old south end. Very excited about Indy and a change from Toledo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 07:36 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioishome24 View Post
What part of Toledo are you from? I grew up in the old south end. Very excited about Indy and a change from Toledo.
I should note that I haven't lived there in a long time. I lived mostly near Alexis Road around Harvest/Talmadge/Secor. I also spent a little time in Northwood. My sister and some other relatives still live there, in Springfield and Sylvania townships. My mother grew up in the Old West End, my grandmother in East Toledo.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:48 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
Too bad for those who are stuck inside working, but we just had the most wonderful parade downtown for St. Patrick's Day. So much fun. One small marching band had great drummers who were doing a jam session while waiting on their spot to start.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:45 PM

21 posts, read 51,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Riley is a great place for a quick rent. They are one of the only downtown businesses in our area who keeps their sidewalks clear in winter and I even met a maintenance man who has worked for them for decades. They are centrally located with a grocery in a couple of blocks, the library a couple of blocks, center of downtown in about 5 blocks, city market and farmers market about 4 blocks, etc. I live only 3 blocks away and find the area quiet, safe, well located, etc.

From that base, you can decide at leisure where you want to finally plant yourself and watch all the new construction.

I dont know the Waverly so have not commented.
Thanks!!! This is very helpful. Actually, compared to Manhattan and even Brooklyn prices, the Riley tower's prices are not bad at all. I'm from Burlington, VT and rents there are also really expensive due to lots of college students and overdemand.

I'm coming in on Sunday afternoon and my interview is on Monday...four people are interviewing me, yikes! Wish me luck! I leave on Tuesday, so I'll have time on Monday night to unwind and explore a little bit. I'm excited to see Indy! Yes, I'm used to NYC but I always like to keep an open mind no matter what. What I really want is this job I'm interviewing for!

Old 03-18-2012, 04:37 AM

Good luck. Hope you get the job you want. Indy is a great place to land and regardless of what anyone says, can be fun for any age.

When my husband interviewed with Eli Lilly and Company in the early 80s, it took all day, multiple groups, and even lunch was part of the interview process.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:07 AM

5 posts, read 22,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snactres View Post
Any other recommendations? I might be getting a job in Indianapolis that requires me to move ASAP. I'm in Manhattan right now, so I'd prefer downtown Indianapolis...close to bars (so I can stumble home drunk and not have to drive), social scene, farmer's markets, fun stuff in general. What are the cooler, more laid back neighborhoods?

P.S., I know NOTHING about this area...totally ignorant, sorry!
If you're looking for the big city feel, you'll only get that downtown. Mass Ave is within walking distance of downtown (ps, you can walk almost anywhere downtown. Even in the winter, every major block of downtown is connected by indoor paths). And if you bike, the city has an excellent bike trail system. Fountain Square is up-and-coming, so its still cheap, but lots of fun with an emerging arts scene. However, its a bit of a stretch to walk downtown from there.

For staggering home drunk, you'll find now better place than Broad Ripple Village. The main drag is lined with bars and clubs, and is usually busy well into the early morning hours on the weekends. You can find affordable houses there, but be prepared to have to drive or take the bus downtown.

If you have a car that also opens you up to some of Indys upper class northern suburbs (one of the fastest growing areas in America). If your looking for some quaint, upscale shopping and dining, Carmel's Art and Design district is less than an hour from downtown.

And being Indiana, our farmers markets are predictably good, as is the City Market downtown.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give you an in depth rundown of Indy.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddy93 View Post
If you're looking for the big city feel, you'll only get that downtown. Mass Ave is within walking distance of downtown (ps, you can walk almost anywhere downtown. Even in the winter, every major block of downtown is connected by indoor paths). And if you bike, the city has an excellent bike trail system. Fountain Square is up-and-coming, so its still cheap, but lots of fun with an emerging arts scene. However, its a bit of a stretch to walk downtown from there.

For staggering home drunk, you'll find now better place than Broad Ripple Village. The main drag is lined with bars and clubs, and is usually busy well into the early morning hours on the weekends. You can find affordable houses there, but be prepared to have to drive or take the bus downtown.

If you have a car that also opens you up to some of Indys upper class northern suburbs (one of the fastest growing areas in America). If your looking for some quaint, upscale shopping and dining, Carmel's Art and Design district is less than an hour from downtown.

And being Indiana, our farmers markets are predictably good, as is the City Market downtown.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give you an in depth rundown of Indy.

Don't apologize!!! The more in-depth, the better! This is great information, thank you! I actually just drove here from Vermont yesterday and I'm looking at apartments downtown. That's really cool about the major blocks being connected indoors!

Old 04-02-2012, 02:18 PM

since you are here, first Friday of the month is considered an art event evening downtown. Get Nuvo on Wedensday to check for activities. Saturday morning is the Winter Farmers Market inside the City Market downtown. Tell Cindy at Circle City Sweets hello. She and her staff are great. Roger, her husband, runs Circle City Soups right next door.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
since you are here, first Friday of the month is considered an art event evening downtown. Get Nuvo on Wedensday to check for activities. Saturday morning is the Winter Farmers Market inside the City Market downtown. Tell Cindy at Circle City Sweets hello. She and her staff are great. Roger, her husband, runs Circle City Soups right next door.
Sweetana, you are just so helpful and awesome!

What is Nuvo on Wednesday?? Local newspaper?

Old 04-05-2012, 03:47 AM

yes, it is the local free newspaper available on the street, in stores, all over. I usually just pick it up while walking around from a newspaper box.

It has an activity calendar and a big music section. In the food section, it does a good review and has the local beer promotions. At least it seems to always be around beer.

If you are at Riley, the closest newspaper box is across Alabama at the entrance to the English Foundation Building at the top of the stairs.

Another place to check is Indianapolis Ethnic Food Restaurants, Reviews, Markets, Recipes, and Festivals. I like to check the reviews on ethnic restaurants and found some really unusual ones on this site.

The City Market has recently undergone another renovation and is quite different from what I was used to 20 years ago. I really like it though.

If you are working during the week later in the summer and want a Farmers Market, there are three at least. One at Shapiros, local Jewish deli parking lot downtown one evening, and Saturday at Broad Ripple High School or Binford at 64th and Binford Blvd. Lots of friendly and interesting people to meet. You have to cook some fresh Indiana sweet corn. Microwave for 4 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis