Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 08:55 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,723,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMH View Post
My biggest issue with Indiana drivers was the fact that most of them seemed to treat railroad crossings (with no trains coming of course) as stop signs and would coast over the tracks going 10 mph--even SUVs with plenty of road clearance.
Maybe they've been up north and experienced many of our worn crossings? Our towns crossing is actually terrifying considering the number if times the gates have failed to come down when trains are coming.We really have some bad ones, but completely braking isn't safe either way when you're on a bigger hwy with more traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 08:26 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,974 times
Running reds is a big problem in indy. Dont start up too fast at a green you might get hit.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:48 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,743,229 times
I grew up in NW Indiana where there are a lot of railroad tracks, and we were taught to slow down before going over railroad tracks. None of them were smooth, the asphalt around them was usually crumbled, and if you didn't slow down you'd run the risk of needing a front end alignment on a regular basis. I still slow down for tracks, old habits die hard.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:51 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
In Fishers there are stop signs at railroad tracks, along with signs posted that state the amount of the fine for a "rolling" stop, and "complete stop = no fine."

Old 07-08-2012, 12:10 PM

50 posts, read 115,266 times
Sorry, but I had a good laugh. After living in Boston, Dallas, and ATL, the traffic in Indy is a breeze.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmieP View Post
Sorry, but I had a good laugh. After living in Boston, Dallas, and ATL, the traffic in Indy is a breeze.
I live in Nashville now, and I agree.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:55 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
I hear horns honking so seldom that I have to wonder if the OP was getting in everyone's way? Or looking at his GPS or cell phone instead of the road?

Old 07-08-2012, 03:12 PM

466 posts, read 700,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
Maybe they've been up north and experienced many of our worn crossings? Our towns crossing is actually terrifying considering the number if times the gates have failed to come down when trains are coming.We really have some bad ones, but completely braking isn't safe either way when you're on a bigger hwy with more traffic.
Interesting. The two crossings in particular both have clear lights that flash when trains come as well as the gates that lower. No stop signs. The ones I am referring to are on W 56th past Georgetown and Guion and on White River Parkway near W 10th street.

And I don't mind people slowing down for the tracks, but people would literally stop dead in front of the tracks then coast over them, which can be extremely dangerous if people aren't expecting it.

It was so frequent and so many vehicles that did it that I honestly began to wonder if there was an Indiana law I didn't know about. However, since Indiana required me to take a written test in moving into the state, I knew that it didn't exist .

Old 07-08-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMH View Post
Interesting. The two crossings in particular both have clear lights that flash when trains come as well as the gates that lower. No stop signs. The ones I am referring to are on W 56th past Georgetown and Guion and on White River Parkway near W 10th street.

And I don't mind people slowing down for the tracks, but people would literally stop dead in front of the tracks then coast over them, which can be extremely dangerous if people aren't expecting it.

It was so frequent and so many vehicles that did it that I honestly began to wonder if there was an Indiana law I didn't know about. However, since Indiana required me to take a written test in moving into the state, I knew that it didn't exist .
I coast over railroad tracks. Dangerous only if people are following too close and/or not paying attention which seems to be rampant these days.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:22 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
I was someone use their car horn last night on the southside. Some car tried to drive into a construction zone on Emerson Ave then pulled in front of a car going the other direction, who honked at him. Then, someone pulling out of the gas station blocked all traffic for reasons unknown, and people honked at him. Two incidents in a span of 30 seconds, I must have won the car honk lotto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis