Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2012, 07:42 PM

11 posts, read 39,171 times

Advertisements

So I am going to move to Indy in a few weeks. I have a job near Carmel. I have been looking into apartments all over Indy and have a fairly good idea of what is out there. Just looking for a 1 bedroom.

Being in Indy i'd like to be able to walk to shop, nightlife etc if I can find an apartment for around $600 in a safe area. Broad Ripple seems too expensive for that.

Utomin seems like a decent option as it is close to Mass. A little further from Carmel but I think it would be an easy commute just up College & Meridian or would that be bad everyday?

I think Van Rooy has a decent reputation, from what I have read, but the price for a Utomin apartment, $515-$650, seems cheap for a safe area you can walk to shopping, nightlife, etc. Does anyone know anything about this building? Is it a good place to rent from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 08:49 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
First, I would recommend going and looking at the apartment. I have never been to this building and can't give you any specific information on it. I would guess the reason it's less money is because it's on the fringe of downtown and right next to the freeway. Even though it's out on the fringe, I wouldn't really consider the area dangerous at all and it's easily walkable to Mass Ave. As far as Van Rooy goes, I rented from them and never had any bad experience. I suppose it could be different from different building, though.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah I plan on checking out this place next weekend if I can get a hold of them and they have something available within the next couple weeks.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:56 PM

406 posts, read 1,039,341 times
Northview At Nora are relatively safe and you have all the shopping and services you'll ever need within 3 miles...5 mins to Carmel, 30 mins to downtown Indy...$679-$719 for one bedroom according to website

Old 11-24-2012, 07:03 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
Dont know your income but at least call 1010 Central and find out if you qualify for any of their NEW apartments even closer to downtown. Income limits may apply but well worth calling to find out.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:04 PM

Northview At Nora is going to be out of my price range by a little bit. I can go $650 but really don't want to go over $600 but I know I might have to get in a decent apartment complex. I know there are several in that area for the $500-$600 range, like Turtle Creek, but not sure how nice some of these places are. I know you get what you pay for though. Since i'm just graduating I wouldn't mind living in an apartment complex with younger people. I'm just not sure exactly which ones those are.

I contacted 1010 Central and am waiting to here back from them.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 11-26-2012, 05:03 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
1010 is new so dont know who has moved in yet. It is a great place for students at IUPUI and others working for the hospitals since it is close.

If it was me, I would live a lot closer to Carmel, as close to job as possible. You will be with lots of people that can socialize easily because you live closer, close to Carmel entertainment, etc. It is time consuming to drive to and from each day when you dont need to.

Save your gas money and pay for parking when you go downtown Indy.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:36 PM

406 posts, read 1,039,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
It is time consuming to drive to and from each day when you dont need to.

Save your gas money and pay for parking when you go downtown Indy.
Absolutely right. I live near Carmel and commute to IUPUI campus which takes me 35-50 mins depending on traffic/weather. Sometimes I do the trip twice a day. It's a big time waste and fuel cost is outrageous. But I'd rather do it this way than live downtown. I guess it depends on how you look at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis