Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2012, 01:14 PM

5 posts, read 16,827 times

Advertisements

So I just got a job transfer to Indy. I've never been there before. I'm looking for a neighborhood that's really urban. I've heard good things about Carmel and Fishers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 01:39 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
I live in downtown Indy. Lots of really nice downtown apts and close in historic neighborhoods. Carmel and Fishers to me are not Urban but do support huge suburban neighborhoods. Some would say that the Carmel Arts Downtown area is Urban but I feel it is too Disneyland in character. Just my opinion. What is your definition of Urban?

So my selection would depend on $$ available, what services you want to be near, what is important, etc. But really only downtown Indy and Carmel's Art District would be urban to me.

If you expand into older close in neighborhoods (as opposed to outer suburban areas, you could include Meridian Kessler, Butler Tarkington and Irvington.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:50 PM

934 posts, read 1,441,873 times
I really like Lockerbie and St. Joseph. I think they are a little pricey, but worth it. I really like a lot the old homes in the Old Northside area.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:17 PM

406 posts, read 1,039,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
but really only downtown indy and carmel's art district would be urban to me.

+1

Old 12-08-2012, 04:18 PM

406 posts, read 1,039,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdithers View Post
So I just got a job transfer to Indy. I've never been there before. I'm looking for a neighborhood that's really urban. I've heard good things about Carmel and Fishers?
Urban Indy |

Old 12-09-2012, 08:03 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdithers View Post
Fishers is not urban.

The Carmel Arts and Design District is an urban area, sanitized for affluent suburban consumption. That's not to say I don't like the District, because I do, but it just isn't a truly urban experience.

If you are looking for an urban experience in Indianapolis, you can look downtown especially the NE quad. Fountain Square SE of downtown, the area just north of I-65; and several pockets on the near east and south sides of downtown. Broad Ripple is a nice choice too.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:02 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,981,704 times
This is the St Joseph neighborhood if you like this style in a more quiet atmosphere northside of downtown. You don't have to go to Baltimore to get this. You may also want to check out the Canals if you like being near the water. It's great if your into walking or jogging.

or

The Wholesale District (everything outside your door step like the movies, mall, pubs the crowds) You also have closer access to the skywalk system (smaller version of Minneapolis's) that tie a lot of these buildings together without stepping foot outside if the weather makes a turn for the worse. It's sort of like what the cultural trail does with the neighborhoods. It's very convenient and practical.

If you're into art I would suggest the Mass. Ave. Arts District. When you don't want to drive to the burbs for groceries the Arts district and other near by areas would be ideal within walking distance to Marsh.

The Marsh grocery store is located near the corner of Mass. Ave and Alabama Street. You will also notice the cultural walking/ bike trail in front of the store. The urban cultural trail is designed to link the surrounding neighborhoods together keeping the pedestrians and bikers in mind. The trail design looks similar to what I've seen in Europe.

Indianapolis - Google Maps

Corner of Alabama and Ohio Streets I believe

Outisde the Arts District is the corner of Ohio and East Streets within walking distance to the Marsh grocery store.

If need more info you can check out this site > Downtown Neighborhoods

Last edited by urbanologist; 12-09-2012 at 10:16 AM..

Old 12-09-2012, 06:40 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,808 times
If you really want urban, don't let people convince you to live in Carmel or Fishers. I've lived in the Carmel Arts & Design District and its not all that urban. For a suburb, yes it is urban, but not compared to areas in the city. There are just a few restaurants, a couple stores, and a few art galleries. It might be really great someday, but not for at least a decade. Look at Broad Ripple and the Downtown area. You'll have plenty of choices there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis