Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 12:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,474 times

Advertisements

I have read with fascination many of the threads on this site concerning Indianapolis and its people, especially the negative posts describing living in the area as boring, dead and the conservative, boring people. I have lived all over the United States and I want to share with those who read this the perspective I bring comparing Indianapolis to other cities in the U.S.
I currently live in Renton, WA, which is a suburb of Seattle. I have been here since April of 2011 and can't wait to leave. Despite so many great things written and said about Seattle, I can tell you that this is the most overrated city I have ever lived in.

The road and bridge infrastructure is absolutely horrible. There are only two N-S interstate options. I-5 and I-405. They cover the Seattle and east side of Lake Washington. The section of 405 near me has only 3 lanes in each direction, one of which is an HOV lane. Because of Boeing and its many varied work shifts, I-405 experiences an afternoon rush hour that begins at 3pm and lasts until 7pm. The state government refuses to allocate any money for highway expansion, but they continue to add bike lanes. I guess they believe that if things get bad enough, everyone will start riding bikes in the rain (it rains here over 200 days per year). Also, Seattle is the fourth most expensive city for parking. And, amazingly, despite the large asian population, I can't believe how many bad asian restaurants this area has. But I was spoiled, growing up in the NYC area where the chinese, italian, deli food, and pizza is better than anywhere else in the U.S. And in case that's not enough, 99 percent of the housing in the metro Seattle area has no central air conditioning (today, July 15th, the high temp was 86 degrees)

Housing here is very expensive, with the average 2 bedroom apartment in Seattle and the better suburbs averaging 1,700 dollars a month. I am 55 and have lived in NYC, Phoenix, Kansas City, Nashville, Atlanta, Baltimore, Cleveland, Columbus and now Seattle. In my opinion, if you live where the cost of living is very high and driving is constantly stop and go, you eventually grow tired of it and end up hating it, regardless of how much these cities have to offer in the way of the arts, entertainment, nightlife and restaurants.

I chose Indianapolis primarily because my mother is elderly and frail and needs to live with me. For $1200 per month, we will be able to rent a large house that will allow both of us space and privacy. I own an enterainment related business that I hope can succeed in the Indy area. I am concerned about comments made regarding Indianapolis people being provincial and close minded. However, it took me a long time to realize that if you are not happy with the home you live in, most of everything else doesn't matter. And, trust me when I tell you that there are far worse places to live in than Indianapolis. I personally lived in several of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 06:33 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,297,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorsaiian View Post
I have read with fascination many of the threads on this site concerning Indianapolis and its people, especially the negative posts describing living in the area as boring, dead and the conservative, boring people.

I own an enterainment related business that I hope can succeed in the Indy area. I am concerned about comments made regarding Indianapolis people being provincial and close minded. However, it took me a long time to realize that if you are not happy with the home you live in, most of everything else doesn't matter. And, trust me when I tell you that there are far worse places to live in than Indianapolis. I personally lived in several of them.
If you peruse any of the other city threads for any amount of time, you'll find no shortage of people who hate whatever city for a bevy of various reasons. Some legit, some complete nonsense. We have a guy that pops into this forum maybe once a month just to post a link to his own whiny rantings.

Welcome to the interwebs.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:15 PM

918 posts, read 1,698,099 times
Good luck !!

Personally, as someone who's lived in Seattle for almost 8 years now and prior to Indy for 15, you couldn't pay me to ever move back. I could write a book about all the ways I think Seattle is preferable to Indy. Then again, I've never had to live in Renton.

Quick note - if you think Seattle's asian food is subpar, I shudder what you'll think of Indy's selection.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:18 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,539,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
Good luck !!

Quick note - if you think Seattle's asian food is subpar, I shudder what you'll think of Indy's selection.
Based on the original post, I'd think their expectations would be lower based on Indy's small Asian population.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:11 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,607,319 times
Well thank god we have good Mexican food to make up for the terrible asian food here. I have hope that the new Thai place opening up Downtown will be good.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:00 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,297,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Well thank god we have good Mexican food to make up for the terrible asian food here. I have hope that the new Thai place opening up Downtown will be good.
What new Thai place would that be?

The best Thai food in my opinion would by that place by Greenwood Park Mall (Thai Spice?), followed by Siam Square.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:49 AM

613 posts, read 945,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorsaiian View Post
I have read with fascination many of the threads on this site concerning Indianapolis and its people, especially the negative posts describing living in the area as boring, dead and the conservative, boring people. I have lived all over the United States and I want to share with those who read this the perspective I bring comparing Indianapolis to other cities in the U.S.

Housing here is very expensive, with the average 2 bedroom apartment in Seattle and the better suburbs averaging 1,700 dollars a month. I am 55 and have lived in NYC, Phoenix, Kansas City, Nashville, Atlanta, Baltimore, Cleveland, Columbus and now Seattle. In my opinion, if you live where the cost of living is very high and driving is constantly stop and go, you eventually grow tired of it and end up hating it, regardless of how much these cities have to offer in the way of the arts, entertainment, nightlife and restaurants.

I chose Indianapolis primarily because my mother is elderly and frail and needs to live with me. For $1200 per month, we will be able to rent a large house that will allow both of us space and privacy. I own an enterainment related business that I hope can succeed in the Indy area. I am concerned about comments made regarding Indianapolis people being provincial and close minded. However, it took me a long time to realize that if you are not happy with the home you live in, most of everything else doesn't matter. And, trust me when I tell you that there are far worse places to live in than Indianapolis. I personally lived in several of them.
As far as: "trust me when I tell you that there are far worse places to live in than Indianapolis." I hear Bangladesh is worse than Indianapolis......is that true? (attempt at joke)

I'm from Indianapolis, but I agree with the the opinions of "Indianapolis and its people" that you related in your first paragraph. Also, I've been to Seattle a grand total of once, for a week, & loved it. One of the most beautiful areas I've ever been to.

However: You've already lived in several mid-size mid-western cities, & did OK there (?). And you make very convincing points about the COL, & to be able to rent a large house for $1200 per month?? That's awesome. And having the fortitude to move 2000 miles at age 55, & take care of your mother, I think is admirable.

I think you'll do fine in IN, & I wish you the best......Oh & check out Shapiros Deli if you can.....

Old 07-17-2013, 10:53 AM

613 posts, read 945,194 times
[quote=WoodyWW;30530320]As far as: "trust me when I tell you that there are far worse places to live in than Indianapolis." I hear Bangladesh is worse than Indianapolis......is that true? (attempt at joke)

I'm from Indianapolis, but I mostly agree with the the opinions of "Indianapolis and its people" that you related in your first paragraph. Also, I've been to Seattle a grand total of once, for a week, & loved it. One of the most beautiful areas I've ever been to.

However: You've already lived in several mid-size mid-western cities, & did OK there (?). And you make very convincing points about the COL, & to be able to rent a large house for $1200 per month?? That's awesome. And having the fortitude to move 2000 miles at age 55, & take care of your mother, I think is admirable.

I think you'll do fine in IN, & I wish you the best......Oh & check out Shapiros Deli if you can.....

Old 07-17-2013, 11:24 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,451,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
As far as: "trust me when I tell you that there are far worse places to live in than Indianapolis." I hear Bangladesh is worse than Indianapolis......is that true? (attempt at joke)

I'm from Indianapolis, but I agree with the the opinions of "Indianapolis and its people" that you related in your first paragraph. Also, I've been to Seattle a grand total of once, for a week, & loved it. One of the most beautiful areas I've ever been to.

Not the shapiros in carmel... That one just closed.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:50 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,607,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
What new Thai place would that be?

The best Thai food in my opinion would by that place by Greenwood Park Mall (Thai Spice?), followed by Siam Square.
I don't remember the name, but it's going into the old Charley and Barney's location on Ohio Street. They have a sign on the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis