Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2008, 02:52 PM

153 posts, read 937,685 times

Advertisements

So I was set on moving to Lexington, KY and very excited about it, only I haven't been able to find anyone to rent a house to me with my three dogs. I feel like I cannot wait around for too long and need to expand my options to other areas. So basically where I find a rental first is where I'll end up living.

(in case you can't tell, I hate where I live now, anything would be better)

Indy seems like a large city, which is a big plus since the larger the population is the easier it will be to start my training business up again.

However, I've never been there and am not sure how the city and surrounding areas are doing finacially. Is it a poor city? Middle class? High class? I'm looking for something that has a generous amount of middle to high class areas, as these people are my clients, they can afford to hire a trainer or go to classes. I have to be within a 30 minute drive to them. Would Indy fit the bill?

Also, how does the area view animals in general? And by that I mean, do the majority of folks keep their dogs outside? Or Do they keep them inside as part of the family? Is it a pet friendly town with lots of vets, dog parks and the like?

Last but not least, I would like to live somewhere safe enough that I don't have to worry about my car being stolen or being mugged at night. I realize all areas have their bad neighborhoods, crime is in every city. I get that. But I'd like to avoid being near crack houses or drug dealers on the corners. If anyone can tell me where those type of areas are to avoid that would be great.

Thank you very much! Hopefully Indy can be a good option for me, its only a four hour drive so Less of trip then Lexington which is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 08:55 PM

260 posts, read 1,346,510 times
Indy has a large population of middle class & high class. I think a dog trainer would do good here, lots of doggie day spas and etc. I remember seeing on the news a while back about some lady in terre haute that spends about $1,000 / mo driving to Indy and having her dog pampered...the story itself was about how much money people are spending on pets.

I would recommend anywhere in Hamilton county...not only would you avoid the "crack houses" or "drug houses", but I would think the population of people with pampered pets and the money to do it with would be found there...but they will travel to you no matter where they / you are in the Metro area, depending on how good you are and the amount of competition of course

Old 02-29-2008, 08:06 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,154,470 times
There are definitely some very hot doggy areas around Indy. I have seen professional dog groomers in their large vans go to homes around the Geist area. It's kind of nice that Fido can be washed, clipped, manicured and groomed in the driveway without ever leaving home.

Maybe you could hook up your training services with one of these professional on-site dog groomers to give the dogs some needed obedience training. Some dogs really frustrate me, especially those who ignore basic voice commands like 'Come'. It's sad when you have to bribe them with a Pig's ear or cookie.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 02-29-2008 at 08:20 AM..

Old 02-29-2008, 02:30 PM

172 posts, read 512,069 times
If you want country you might want to check for rentals around Nobelsville, Fortville,or one of the other outlying areas. I'm sure the Indy Star has their classified ads on line for rentals. Google the area to get a decent map.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:09 PM

153 posts, read 937,685 times
Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know if there is a pet limit in Marion and Hamilton county? I have three dogs and don't want to worry about getting fined for having too many.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:50 PM

47 posts, read 163,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeAddict View Post
Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know if there is a pet limit in Marion and Hamilton county? I have three dogs and don't want to worry about getting fined for having too many.
My mom has four (BIG) dogs and lives on the south side near Greenwood, but in Marion County (not Johnson County). I don't think she's violating any pet limits or anything. She checks into those kinds of things!
My grandma lives in Hamilton County and has 3 (VERY SMALL) dogs, although i don't think she would be a person to check pet limits...

I think there are a lot of areas that you could live that would meet your needs for safety, etc. North side and south side, near greenwood come to mind, as well as hendricks county suburbs of Avon, Plainfield, Brownsburg. Greenwood, Avon, Plainfield, and Brownsburg will be among the cheaper options, while north side, fishers, carmel, zionsville, will be more expensive (with pockets of affordable options within each).

My favorite pet kennel Pet-Agree is in Danville (hendricks county, further west of Avon). My dogs are in heaven when they go there. Lots of grass for them to play on - no concrete fenced in areas for play space...My dogs' vet is also on the west side, near 38th and 465, just outside the loop...Eagle Creek Animal Clinic. Beautiful facilities and great staff. They remember my dogs' names, which is amazing given the number of animals they treat, and the number of golden retriever patients...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis