Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 03:46 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
you didnt read what i said before so im not going to bother commenting on this.
I read exactly what you posted and the idea is completely ridiculous:

1-Indiana has no money from surpluses to fund even 1% of the cost.
2-Hotels can't be used to fund athletes. You would need a 60 acre greenfield project to house athletes.
3-The Olympics can have a transformative impact on a city, but not in a city that has no realistic use for the purpose-built venues required on a scale like the Olympics require. Ask someone from Montreal about their experience funding the 76 games if you doubt me there.
4-IndyConnect is wholly unsuitable for transit in the magnitide of the Olympics.
5-You can't just borrow a bunch of buses to bridge the gap. Those buses need to come from somewhere and neighborhoring cities don't just have a few thousand buses lying around somewhere you can borrow.
6-Most of the venues you cite would have to be dramatically expanded/improved to meet current Olympic standard, Natatorium and velodrome included. The track and field stadium is getting downsized btw. Regardless, adding bleacher seating over New York street would never fly.
7-You can complain about almost any form of taxation, but have the gall to propose that the state supports a level of funding that would consume and entire year's worth of tax revenue.

So yeah, I read about all of what you posted, and never, at any point, did you make a single reasonable and coherent point about why this would work. Indianapolis is a good city, but it is so incredibly overmatched and not up to the task of hosting something on the scale of the Olympics that it wouldn't even be a top 10 choice within the USA, never mind the US winning preliminary bid, never mind among the 5 global finalists...and forget about being a finalist.

Indy could be three times its current size and it still wouldn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 04:16 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,148,400 times
Sorry broad, your favorite mayor said no.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:17 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,852,547 times
Quote:
domer you offically have read my mind
Ill pay higher taxes if it means bringing the Olympics to Indianapolis. the money spent is well worth the massive international investment. The exposure to the world would truely make Indianapolis a World Class City.
Will it be easy? hell no but already we need to get Jim Irsay/The Simon family/the Cook family and other wealthy Indiana natives to get on board. As well as the whole state of Indiana.
This isn't Indianapolis's olympics. its the state of Indiana's Olympics.

I am watching WTHR and Mayor Ballard just said, "Our city does not meet the requirements."

Old 02-20-2013, 04:27 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,654 times
Quote:
domer you offically have read my mind
Ill pay higher taxes if it means bringing the Olympics to Indianapolis. the money spent is well worth the massive international investment. The exposure to the world would truely make Indianapolis a World Class City.
Will it be easy? hell no but already we need to get Jim Irsay/The Simon family/the Cook family and other wealthy Indiana natives to get on board. As well as the whole state of Indiana.
This isn't Indianapolis's olympics. its the state of Indiana's Olympics.
You know what would make Indianapolis a world class city? Investing the billions of dollars that we would spend on the Olympics in things like mass transit, education, health care, etc. Indianapolis becomes a world class city when people from around the world want to visit here and move here. Not simply from hosting events like the Super Bowl or the Olympics.

Sadly, Indianapolis will never become a world class city until Indiana stops being a backwards-a** state. Hopefully I'm wrong because that has no chance of ever happening.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:26 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
I think we can safely lock this thread and throw away the keys.

Indianapolis says no thanks to bid for 2024 summer Olympics

Old 02-21-2013, 03:37 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,076,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
You know what would make Indianapolis a world class city? Investing the billions of dollars that we would spend on the Olympics in things like mass transit, education, health care, etc. Indianapolis becomes a world class city when people from around the world want to visit here and move here. Sadly, Indianapolis will never become a world class city until Indiana stops being a backwards-a** state. Hopefully I'm wrong because that has no chance of ever happening.
Everything you posted means one thing: Massive tax hikes. Money doesn't grow on trees, and more and more investors are wary of the on-going problems of municipal bankruptcy. The courts have already ruled the historic 'law of the land' of bondholders getting paid is null and void with the Chrysler bankruptcy lawsuit. If you decide to buy $10,000 in muni bonds, buyer beware is all I can say. Make sure the entity that is issuing those bonds will really levy huge taxes on their populations to make sure you get paid.

Mass transit: I can see a minimal tax increase, for expanded bus service. Indy doesn't have the need for costly rail. Let those surrounding county townships also vote for tax increases if they want rush hour commuter bus service.

Education:
K-12: The never ending pit where folks constantly say if we just throw more money into it, it will magically fill up. Our problems with K-12 don't have anything to do with money, but mostly have to do with current societal norms and values that kids are learning in their home life, and to a lesser extent, pop culture.
Higher education: They can't get enough money. They complain if they get cuts, tuition has to go up, yet all those years where their were not cuts, they raised tuition, they get into contracts that increase the cost of food on campuses, textbooks, etc.. They have the highest paid public workers in the state, by leaps and bounds.

Healthcare:
I've decided to move far left on healthcare. I want government owned and operated hospitals and clinics, operated by government healthcare workers. From the doctors and nurses to the people sweeping the floor, they all should be government workers. We need a massive governmental bureaucratic entity that runs and regulates healthcare. Increase income taxes another 10% on any income under $100K and 20% on any income over $100K.

Bring on the Marxism, lets get this collapse going! I'm sure people will be flocking to Indy once they find out we have sky high taxation. I mean that is one thing we always read on CD: "Thinking about Indy, looking for high tax neighborhoods." or "Relocating to Indiana, need suggestions for high taxed areas to move to."

Old 02-21-2013, 06:46 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,511,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
Everything you posted means one thing: Massive tax hikes. Money doesn't grow on trees, and more and more investors are wary of the on-going problems of municipal bankruptcy. The courts have already ruled the historic 'law of the land' of bondholders getting paid is null and void with the Chrysler bankruptcy lawsuit. If you decide to buy $10,000 in muni bonds, buyer beware is all I can say. Make sure the entity that is issuing those bonds will really levy huge taxes on their populations to make sure you get paid.

Mass transit: I can see a minimal tax increase, for expanded bus service. Indy doesn't have the need for costly rail. Let those surrounding county townships also vote for tax increases if they want rush hour commuter bus service.

Education:
K-12: The never ending pit where folks constantly say if we just throw more money into it, it will magically fill up. Our problems with K-12 don't have anything to do with money, but mostly have to do with current societal norms and values that kids are learning in their home life, and to a lesser extent, pop culture.
Higher education: They can't get enough money. They complain if they get cuts, tuition has to go up, yet all those years where their were not cuts, they raised tuition, they get into contracts that increase the cost of food on campuses, textbooks, etc.. They have the highest paid public workers in the state, by leaps and bounds.

Healthcare:
I've decided to move far left on healthcare. I want government owned and operated hospitals and clinics, operated by government healthcare workers. From the doctors and nurses to the people sweeping the floor, they all should be government workers. We need a massive governmental bureaucratic entity that runs and regulates healthcare. Increase income taxes another 10% on any income under $100K and 20% on any income over $100K.

Bring on the Marxism, lets get this collapse going! I'm sure people will be flocking to Indy once they find out we have sky high taxation. I mean that is one thing we always read on CD: "Thinking about Indy, looking for high tax neighborhoods." or "Relocating to Indiana, need suggestions for high taxed areas to move to."
hahaha you just made my day
+1 my conservative friend.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:05 AM

218 posts, read 462,522 times
Quote:
hahaha you just made my day
+1 my conservative friend.
Indy_317 made some excellent points, but he also demonstrates perfectly why Indy doesn't stand a chance at ever being world class or hosting the Olympics. People here would rather keep things cheap, and that's their prerogative. But the go-getter mentality doesn't usually care about a low cost of living; these people want a stimulating environment and are willing to pay more for it. That's why, as I've said before, Silicon Valley will always remain such an epicenter for creative talent despite being located in pinko commie Taxifornia.

Indy as a city is a pleasant place to raise a family easily and cheaply. But, unlike most Olympic cities, it has no real magnetism. (Frankly, it was a real stretch for Atlanta to pull off an Olympics as well.) Indy couldn't even support Formula One racing for more than a couple years. I like Indy and would defend it heavily (partly because it is so unpretentious and common-sense), but let's face it--people don't move to Indy while unemployed with the goal of "getting by" just because they love the culture so much. It isn't Portland; it isn't Austin. Heck, my HT of Kansas City is pretty much the exact same as Indy. They just aren't global cities--period.

Rather than trying to get something that's completely out of its league, Indy should focus on being the best Indy it can be.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:17 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
USOC Gauges Indy's Interest in Holding Olympics - Newsroom - Inside INdiana Business with Gerry Dick

No, no and no! All of the cities listed have 200k person workforces. Duh! Indy, Tulsa, STL, CBus, MSP and Detroit lack the minimum required hotel rooms. Each city outside of Tulsa are between 5-10k short of that 45k number. Indy and CBus lack the public transit needed to move people around adequately as everything wouldn't be downtown. A midsize area bidding on the olympics might as well declare bankruptcy now because that's where they'd be after all of the tax dollars gets funneled into hosting it.
Bravo, sir! Bravo.

Whoever would have thought trolling BRG would have been this easy.

I fully expect your next thread to be called, "U.N. moving to Indianapolis???"

After all:

1. Indy 500
2. Super Bowl
3. ???
4. Profit
5. Headquarters for the world

Last edited by A2DAC1985; 02-21-2013 at 03:41 PM..

Old 02-21-2013, 06:01 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,148,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandandjules View Post
Indy_317 made some excellent points, but he also demonstrates perfectly why Indy doesn't stand a chance at ever being world class or hosting the Olympics. People here would rather keep things cheap, and that's their prerogative. But the go-getter mentality doesn't usually care about a low cost of living; these people want a stimulating environment and are willing to pay more for it. That's why, as I've said before, Silicon Valley will always remain such an epicenter for creative talent despite being located in pinko commie Taxifornia.

Indy as a city is a pleasant place to raise a family easily and cheaply. But, unlike most Olympic cities, it has no real magnetism. (Frankly, it was a real stretch for Atlanta to pull off an Olympics as well.) Indy couldn't even support Formula One racing for more than a couple years. I like Indy and would defend it heavily (partly because it is so unpretentious and common-sense), but let's face it--people don't move to Indy while unemployed with the goal of "getting by" just because they love the culture so much. It isn't Portland; it isn't Austin. Heck, my HT of Kansas City is pretty much the exact same as Indy. They just aren't global cities--period.

Rather than trying to get something that's completely out of its league, Indy should focus on being the best Indy it can be.
Not that people mind, afterall what just under a billion for los and icc redo, 750 million dollar hospital approved overwhelmingly by the tax payers. To the point where the city now has one of the highest rental car rates. Problem is gov't keeps coming to the trough for more and more. Nothing wrong with the citizenry saying enough.

For instance, schools. Per pupil expenditure really isn't that. It's all money received divided by the population. It doesn't take into account administrative costs. A district like IPS has a very high administrative cost (forgot the actual percentage). Needless to say very little money makes it to the actual classrooms. We taxpayers should question that and put a stop to it. Eventually the bill will come due and people need to really think about where they want to be when that happens. The fate of Greece isn't far out of reach for the us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis