Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2007, 05:49 PM

7 posts, read 42,561 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I was just googling local information about Indianapolis and it's surrounding areas and I stumbled across this forum. It seems pretty active (others I have bumped into are not very up to date...), and I have found some of the problems to other newcomers to Indy similar, so I'll give this a try.

I'm from the suburbs of Chicago, and I just graduated from a school just over the border of Illinois in Wisconsin. So, as you can imagine... it's a little different for me here. My fiancee is from Indy, so that's why I made the move. I currently live on the West side (down the street from Wishard and IUPUI, borderline of Avon) and I work in Fishers (found the job through a temp agency). I have my Bachelors in Social Work (still looking for a job in my field), and looking to go in May for my Masters in it as well.

I'm really used to being social and miss college life. I'm also a strong Christian, so ministry is my main social outlet. I'm bi-racial, so diversity is important to me as well (I find the west side is good for that... right?). Just from being on this board, I've heard a lot about Eagle Star Church. In Fishers, I pass by it all the time because it is right by my job (I know there are three locations, does anyone know if all three have the same atmosphere?). I'm having a hard time looking for a church... I'm looking for diversity as well as a good gospel choir. Any suggestions?

My fiancee and I were looking to possibly move to Fishers should I keep my job through grad school. But I have heard it's very ritzy, is that true? It's seems very commerical, but still maintains it's class.... which I like.

I'm just looking for a little more information and to maybe meet a friend or two... Look forward to hearing from anybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 04:24 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,039 times
Personal opinion. Fishers is a collection of true American suburbs. Segregated only by house price. Good schools but totally car dependent.

For Indy, the traffic on the north east side from Fishers is the worst in the state during rush hour. Not the worst in the country just the state. I have a lot of friends who live in Fishers and work downtown and manage to make it every day.

I happen to live downtown and enjoy my less than 10 minute stroll to work. Highly recommended if you have no kids. Check out Urban Times newspaper for the current news about the various downtown historic neighborhoods.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:53 AM

Thanks! Yeah, I think living downtown would be awesome (the whole city feeling.. love it), but we're afraid it will be too expensive. Me being a prospective social worker, there's a good chance I could be working downtown anyway. I just about live downtown now, and driving to Fishers and back can be a mess sometimes. I usually work Monday through Thursday 10-9, but last Friday I decided to put in some overtime and do an 8-5 shift... so I had never experenced Indianapolis traffic at Friday after work rush hour. Oh my gosh... took forever to get home from Fishers to the west side.

And yeah, I want to take advantage of the whole, living somewhere because we don't have kids at the moment, thing... such as downtown or Broad Ripple.
Thanks for the Urban Times newspaper tip.. I'm on it

Old 12-03-2007, 06:15 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
I lived in Fishers for 4 years. The Eastern Star Church is huge and everyone who goes there loves it. I think it was a great addition to Fishers community. When we lived there, hubby worked downtown and didn't have an issue with the traffic. We lived on the east side of town and took Olio Road down to 70 and into town that way. But then again, traffic is nowhere near as bad as Chicago non-rush. Ritzy? Well, I wouldn't define all of Fishers as ritzy. There are expensive neighborhoods, sure, but it's no different than Carmel or the expensive neighborhoods in Noblesville or Westfield. We lived in a very middle class neighborhood. There are all kinds of housing options in Fishers.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:13 AM

39 posts, read 156,474 times
I lived in Fishers with my ex-husband and I didn't enjoy it much. I'm soon to be 26 and felt that there just wasn't much in the way of good restaurants or things to do in general and it just took to long to get anywhere I wanted to be. Traffic was lousy because they town just kept growing, but the streets didn't seem to bear the traffic well. That was a couple of years ago, so maybe things are better now. Being young and looking for diversity, I don't think you will be very happy in Fishers. Besides, starting out, I think Fishers might be a bit pricey.

I have also lived in Broad Ripple, Meridian Hills and Castleton and I love Castleton. It is close to downtown and where I live, I am close to I-69 and 465, so getting anywhere is pretty convenient. People call it "Hassleton", but I am about 5 mintutes from malls, food, shopping, etc, so I don't find much issue with it. I loved Meridian Hills, too. Being close to 86th and Ditch, there were great ethnic restaurants and shopping. There is proably more diversity for you in that area than Castleton and Fishers.

I think it depends on what you want out of a church. I have been to some of the "mega" churches and just felt like I got lost in the crowd. Personally, I like more intimate churches where you get to know people better. I went to a lot of churches to find the right one and a couple of years ago, I settled on Castleton United Methodist at 75th and Shadeland. I am extremely happy there. We just branched off into two 20/30 something Bible study groups from our previous one. I love it because everyone is very active in our group and we meet all the time for parties, fellowship, dinners, girl's and guy's nights out, etc. There is a nice mix of singles, married, kids, no kids, engaged, etc. If you want more info, PM me, but otherwise, I would say to just visit different churches until you find the one that "feels" right. That's what I did and I really couldn't be happier with my church community.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:22 PM

260 posts, read 1,346,051 times
I like Hamilton County, but only if your married w/ children. I would recommend, as someone else did, to live downtown or in broadripple. Much more activities and entertainment for singles or couples without children. I like broadripple because it is more or less centraly located to anywhere you would want to go...be it work or play.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:37 PM

Thanks guys!!!! I really apperciate the responses. It's exciting lol.

IndyCarrie, how long did it take you to find the right church?

Old 12-07-2007, 07:57 AM

39 posts, read 156,474 times
I wasn't really that serious about it for the longest time. I went to a Methodist church in Noblesville and I just wasn't feeling it. Ditto for the Methodist church at 52nd ish and Meridian and also went to one on Fall Creek Pkwy and 30th ish.

I thought maybe I just needed to go to a another denomination (I was raised Methodist), so when I decided to get serious, I visited some websites and decided to visit a Presbyterian church and one last Methodist church. The Methodist church I went to is the one where I am currently a member and never made it to the Pres. one.

The feeling of my church and the openness of the people to really welcome me and involve me was different than what I had experienced other places. I enjoy the services and my pastor immensely. They do a blended service at 10:30 which has traditional hymns/choir, but also great contemporary music as well.

If you are dedicated to finding the right one, just keep going different places until you find that one that feels the best. Once I found one where I was happy, it was no longer a chore to get up every Sunday morning!! I think it is important, though, especially since you are new to the area, that they have a strong young adult group. That can help make your transition so much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis