Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2014, 01:40 PM

600 posts, read 825,079 times

Advertisements

Seems like it's just a one-off situation. The areas where I would legitimately consider 'bad' is the east side like 56th and Shadeland which is run down, and the west side around 38th, highschool road, and lafayette road. There has been many shootings at Lafayette Square Mall which is really not a mall anymore, it's more like a urban shop inside the mall.

The apartment complexes around 38th and up to about Eagle Creek are not that great. Avon is fine, and Eagle Creek isn't an unsafe park, but in general that whole westside area within the 465 loop is unsafe. The first police officer who was killed this year was shot on the westside near Eagle Creek. I find abandoned malls interesting, and if you are looking for something to check out, Lafayette Square Mall used to be a booming mall from what I understand back several decades ago, but is now completely run down. I went there last winter to get some food. There's an asian restaurant called Fujan Cafe that gives a lot of food for cheap. There's also a good Indian restaurant across (but not inside) called Spice Nation, that I recommend to people.

The shootings at Broad Ripple does not make it a 'bad area'. In fact, I'm sure the people who did the shooting probably don't even live there. It's just where the violence happened to occur. The spots like on the west side, east side, and edges of inner city downtown arer legitimate lower income people.

I've never really felt unsafe unless I was at the east side or west side locations. I think if you just use your head you will be fine. Sometimes people are in the wrong place at the wrong time, that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 01:51 PM

It's funny bc I met a realtor here and she knew I was from Indianapolis and she was harping about how cheap a house was off 38th on the westside not far from highschool rd. just inside the 465 loop and that Indianapolis has "cheap houses" aka Marion County. I told her most people work in Marion County, but live outside "Indianapolis". I told her as a single female, if she wants to buy it and live in it at the location knock yourself out...........lol.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:10 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,297,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
The areas where I would legitimately consider 'bad' is the east side like 56th and Shadeland which is run down
If the area by Lawrence Central scares you, then........wow.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:24 PM

I looked near that area when I first moved, then decided to go to Castleton instead. Lawrence is ok, but I wouldn't consider it great or anything. I'd live in Plainfield before Lawrence.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:50 PM

56 posts, read 75,720 times
56th and shadelend? That doesn't even really exist, shadeland merges into 465 for a while in that area. And it's not a bad area. Rough areas of town are like post rd between I 70 and Pendleton pike. Also jut about anything between 38th and roughly 20th on the east side or north side. West side in similar size pockets is really rough as well.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:56 PM

Around 56th/Shadeland, not the literal area. I agree with Post Rd/I-70, Pendleton Pike.

Westside is from Rockville, up to 56th near Eagle Creek near the 465 loop I'd consider a bad area as well. It's worn down and primarly lower income.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:05 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,270,686 times
The only thing scary about 56th and Shadeland is the new homes Lawrence has built that are tiny and right on top of each other with driveways barely long enough to hold a single car. Fishers has too many of those neighborhoods, too.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:10 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
Seems like it's just a one-off situation. The areas where I would legitimately consider 'bad' is the east side like 56th and Shadeland which is run down, and the west side around 38th, highschool road, and lafayette road. There has been many shootings at Lafayette Square Mall which is really not a mall anymore, it's more like a urban shop inside the mall.

The apartment complexes around 38th and up to about Eagle Creek are not that great. Avon is fine, and Eagle Creek isn't an unsafe park, but in general that whole westside area within the 465 loop is unsafe. The first police officer who was killed this year was shot on the westside near Eagle Creek. I find abandoned malls interesting, and if you are looking for something to check out, Lafayette Square Mall used to be a booming mall from what I understand back several decades ago, but is now completely run down. I went there last winter to get some food. There's an asian restaurant called Fujan Cafe that gives a lot of food for cheap. There's also a good Indian restaurant across (but not inside) called Spice Nation, that I recommend to people.

The shootings at Broad Ripple does not make it a 'bad area'. In fact, I'm sure the people who did the shooting probably don't even live there. It's just where the violence happened to occur. The spots like on the west side, east side, and edges of inner city downtown arer legitimate lower income people.

I've never really felt unsafe unless I was at the east side or west side locations. I think if you just use your head you will be fine. Sometimes people are in the wrong place at the wrong time, that's all.
The worst thing about the BR shootings, IMO, is that they are random. People were just shot on the street. If only a few neighborhoods or streets are bad, you know to stay out of those places, but when there is a large amount of random violence, that's terrorism.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:12 AM

155 posts, read 189,429 times
I'm the OP.... I've been sitting back and watching this thread and reading everyone's various opinions. As I've said earlier, I was shot at twice in Sept 2012 and held at gunpoint twice, once in April 2013 and again in May 2013. I've been noticing throughout the thread one particular opinion that keeps coming up and that's low income people. I may not be the most educated person (which has also been mentioned), I'm also Caucasian (which race has also been mentioned). I'm a single mother supporting 2 children. Times are rough throughout the year, especially Christmas time. I don't go waving a gun around and threating/ killing people because of desperation. Honestly, I've never even touched one.

Everyone has a choice in life on what road to follow. That is THEIR choice. I was raised in poverty, with the single mom on welfare. I was abused mentally and physically growing up. Once I reached a certain age, I CHOSE TO BE DIFFERENT THAN THOSE AROUND ME. Do I consider myself "better" than anyone, NO I don't. I choose to work two jobs, I choose not to be on welfare, I choose not to follow in the same steps that were laid before me. I am however the minority, I always will be, and therefore will always be "judged" as "part of the problem" because of my education, upbringing, and income level.

This thread has, IMO, become off topic.

Last edited by Concerned Aunt 936; 07-10-2014 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: Get back on topic.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:15 AM

155 posts, read 189,429 times
With that said, back to the original topic "How do you feel we can decrease the increasing crime rates in Indy?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis