Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 04:18 PM

3 posts, read 23,202 times

Advertisements

I will be a graduate student at IUPUI in the fall, and am looking for recommendations for apartments within walking distance to the campus.

Also, how is the public transportation system in Indianapolis with regards to routes to/from IUPUI to other major spots. Are there any shopping malls/grocery stores near the IUPUI campus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 01:40 PM

4 posts, read 12,498 times
Bump

I´m also interested int his information, I´m an international student coming for the first time to Indianapolis and I´ll be attending IUPUI for grad school. Information about rents near the school and commuting will be very helpful since obtaining a vehicle in the first few months will be difficult.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:30 PM

Any information would be appreciated, especially regarding public transportation.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:39 PM

41 posts, read 75,424 times
There are several apartment complexes near campus - particularly along the canal. They may not have many vacancies right now however -- and they are kind of expensive. The canal apartments are about a block from the edge of campus - and about a 1/2 mile from the heart of the campus. Some names you could check into are "Canal Commons", "The Gardens at Canal Court", "Canal Square", and "The Cosmopolitan". There is also a new complex just north of campus - about a half mile from the campus - and just north of the IU Medical Center campus. It is called "1201 Indiana Avenue". I believe it is supposed to be open by this September. It is geared toward housing students. The apartments along the canal are kind of expensive. I would estimate that 1 bedroom apts typically are in the $800 - $900 per month range -- and two bedroom units are in the $1100 - $1500 range.

Transit in Indy isn't particularly great - but if you live in or near downtown - there will be plenty of buses running around in that area that can get you out to places you might want to go outside of downtown. There is good shopping downtown. There is a good grocery store called Marsh Grocery on the near NE side of downtown, many drug stores, and there is a nice downtown shopping mall called Circle Centre that is anchored by Nordstrom and Carson Pirie Scott and has about 80 or so stores of all types. It is surrounded by many restaurants of all types. There is a TJMaxx downtown too where you can get plenty of things you might need. There are a few local shopping areas that are interesting as well - particularly the Massachusetts Avenue District and the Fountain Square area. Mass Ave is fairly close to campus -- about a mile. IUPUI is on the NW side of downtown and Mass Ave is on the NE side of downtown. You can walk from one area to the other. Fountain Square is a little further. It is about 2 miles from the IUPUI campus. One other thing --- there is a very good and continually growing system of bikeways all around downtown. The "Cultural Trail" is a "separate-from-the-roadway", very nice bike corridor. It is almost finished being built. I believe the last parts of it should be finished in early 2012. You'll be able to use it to get around to most parts of downtown and to connect to other neighborhoods by using local bike trails and on-street bike lanes. With a bike and a bus pass -- you can get around most parts of downtown and central Indianapolis without too much trouble.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:47 PM

914 posts, read 4,445,800 times
I have a friend who lives in the Canal Square apartments. I had heard negative things about them, but she seems happy enough.

A lot depends on what you mean by "walking distance" and your price range. For some people walking a mile wouldn't be a big deal, for others, "walking distance" would mean within a few blocks of campus. There is quite a lot available, but downtown can be expensive.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:02 PM

One other apartment complex that might be worth checking into is "Lockefield Gardens". It is very close to campus -- ie two or three blocks - and might be a little less expensive than the apartments on the canal. Also -- there are some fairly nice student housing apartments on the west side of the campus - along the White River. You'd probably need to check with IUPUI to find out more about what it takes to get in line to rent there. Van Rooy property group might also be worth talking to. They are a company that owns many older apartment buildings downtown. They typically aren't quite as close to campus as some of the other places I've mentioned -- but they might be a little cheaper.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillaceae View Post
A lot depends on what you mean by "walking distance" and your price range. For some people walking a mile wouldn't be a big deal, for others, "walking distance" would mean within a few blocks of campus. There is quite a lot available, but downtown can be expensive.
Around a mile is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
One other apartment complex that might be worth checking into is "Lockefield Gardens". It is very close to campus -- ie two or three blocks - and might be a little less expensive than the apartments on the canal. Also -- there are some fairly nice student housing apartments on the west side of the campus - along the White River. You'd probably need to check with IUPUI to find out more about what it takes to get in line to rent there. Van Rooy property group might also be worth talking to. They are a company that owns many older apartment buildings downtown. They typically aren't quite as close to campus as some of the other places I've mentioned -- but they might be a little cheaper.
Do you know the name of any complexes on the west side of campus along the White River? Most of the apartments I seem to find are all towards the north and east.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:26 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,079,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain0 View Post
Do you know the name of any complexes on the west side of campus along the White River? Most of the apartments I seem to find are all towards the north and east.
Candlewood Suites and Park Place. These two towers were recently purchased and gutted from the previous owner. IHG, InterContinental Hotels Group, the same company that owns/runs Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza hotels, owns Candlewood Suites as well. The Park Place tower is used for mostly extended stay guests. IUPUI students as well as hospital patients and their families live in this tower. The benefit of this place is that since the Candlewood building is a hotel, they have someone at a desk 24/7.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:05 PM

914 posts, read 4,445,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
Van Rooy property group might also be worth talking to. They are a company that owns many older apartment buildings downtown. They typically aren't quite as close to campus as some of the other places I've mentioned -- but they might be a little cheaper.
Well, if you have the money, Van Rooy's Blacherne and Continental are actually fairly close to campus and quite convenient to everything downtown. I hear they're very nice. They're also somewhat pricey (although not too bad if you don't mind tiny) and fairly popular.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:14 PM

rainO: "Do you know the name of any complexes on the west side of campus along the White River? Most of the apartments I seem to find are all towards the north and east."

Sorry its been so long. I don't check in here much (obviously). Unfortunately, I really don't know what the name of the apartment complex is along the White River. I think it may be somehow owned or partly owned by IUPUI. It is between Michigan Street and New York Street on the east side of the river. You could probably find out the name by contacting someone at IUPUI who is involved with student housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis