Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 01:21 AM

26 posts, read 41,365 times

Advertisements

The question that the op should have asked is how do the indy natives like all the Chicagoites moving to their town and clogging up the highways and calling Indianapolis a downgrade? personally, I wouldn't live Chicago if they gave me the place. It aint no different than Houston or LA or any other of these super sized cities we have in this country anymore. Traffic in ever direction you look and ever body in a hurry like theres no tomorrow. I never seen anything in Chicago that I wanted that I couldn't find in Indianapolis and pay less money for it too. Somebody told me well VIrgil, we got baseball in Chicago and you love baseball. I said If I want a watch a baseball game, I just soon go to Cincinnatta and watch the Reds. It's closer and less nerve wrecking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 06:14 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,270,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil Steiner View Post
The question that the op should have asked is how do the indy natives like all the Chicagoites moving to their town and clogging up the highways and calling Indianapolis a downgrade? personally, I wouldn't live Chicago if they gave me the place. It aint no different than Houston or LA or any other of these super sized cities we have in this country anymore. Traffic in ever direction you look and ever body in a hurry like theres no tomorrow. I never seen anything in Chicago that I wanted that I couldn't find in Indianapolis and pay less money for it too. Somebody told me well VIrgil, we got baseball in Chicago and you love baseball. I said If I want a watch a baseball game, I just soon go to Cincinnatta and watch the Reds. It's closer and less nerve wrecking.
I could name a lot of things Chicago has that I love that Indianapolis doesn't. That said, it isn't the lifestyle for me and that's why I settled in Indianapolis and visit Chicago for vacations or weekend getaways. I have no problem with people from Chicago moving to Indianapolis, though. Maybe if enough people from Chicago move here, they will persuade this government will finally build a decent mass transit system

Old 07-30-2013, 06:18 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,297,321 times
Quote:
The question that the op should have asked is how do the indy natives like all the Chicagoites moving to their town and clogging up the highways and calling Indianapolis a downgrade?
We like them just fine. It is the hilljacks from rural Indiana moving here that we don't like.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:54 AM

285 posts, read 386,325 times
Why would anyone care if educated Chicago professionals move to Indianapolis? Better than hilljacks or thugs on the dole, right?

My fiancee and I are recent transplants. We came down here so she could be a doctor at IU. We like Indy just fine, but things we don't like?
- You have to drive everywhere. Seems like everything is a 20 minute drive away.
- Restaurant scene seems small - few great restaurants

...and that's about it. Chicago has things that Indy doesn't; that is just fact. The simple truth is that different people want different lifestyles. Just because it's not for you doesn't mean it's stupid or you're better than someone. If someone moves here and bashes the city and says what a downgrade it is, I can see negative reactions to this person as justifiable. But to lump a bunch of people into a category because of where they're from is unintelligent.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:03 AM

26 posts, read 41,365 times
Well, all you got to do is go back and read the comments of this thread and it seems like nearly ever one of them is talking about how much better things are in Chicago than they are in Indy.

As far as the hilljack comment goes, much of Central Indiana was built on the backs of these so called "hilljacks" that's your word not mine sir. Hilljacks didn't bring any kind of trouble to Indiana like the thugs do, or did, or have. I also submit to you, kind sir, hilljacks aint gonna rob you or mug you like a thug will, now will they. You chances of having a hilljack commit a crime against you is just about zero. Caint say the same thing about the thugs though, now can we? Wher would you rather have your truck break down? in the middle of a hill jack neighborhood or in the middle of a thug neighbor hood? I also submit to you, you use the degrading term of hill jack youre also just as likely to use the n word.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:13 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,297,321 times
Quote:
Well, all you got to do is go back and read the comments of this thread and it seems like nearly ever one of them is talking about how much better things are in Chicago than they are in Indy.

As far as the hilljack comment goes, much of Central Indiana was built on the backs of these so called "hilljacks" that's your word not mine sir. Hilljacks didn't bring any kind of trouble to Indiana like the thugs do, or did, or have. I also submit to you, kind sir, hilljacks aint gonna rob you or mug you like a thug will, now will they. You chances of having a hilljack commit a crime against you is just about zero. Caint say the same thing about the thugs though, now can we? Wher would you rather have your truck break down? in the middle of a hill jack neighborhood or in the middle of a thug neighbor hood? I also submit to you, you use the degrading term of hill jack youre also just as likely to use the n word.
Going back and reading the thread, I only see one Chicago guy complaining, and he complained on a lot of threads. I remember him. I don't judge all Chicago people based on some goofball on the internet.

As far as the rest of your post..........I would rather have my car (I don't drive a truck) not break down in the first place. Given the choice, I would rather it break down in inner city Indianapolis. I have roadside assistance and would prefer to have the option of taking the bus home if I need too. If my car breaks down along 67 in Greene County, I would have to get a ride and probably wait longer for a tow.

Also, this happened not to long ago in rural Indiana:

2 charged in killing of 19-year-old Linton, Ind., woman

It is a scary world................but I'll take my chances in the city.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:36 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,607,319 times
Quote:

You seem to love the term thug, meaning you probably use the n word too.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:02 PM

622 posts, read 1,197,195 times
First, the post you responded to was 5 years old!!!

Second, saying Chicago is just another Houston or LA shows an impressive lack of knowledge regarding the individual characteristics of each city. Those three cities are all vastly different from each other.

Third, traffic is only generally bad at certain times in specific areas. If all I ever drove in Indy was on Meridian during rush hour, I'd think the same was true here.

Fourth, you can get everything found in Chicago at a cheaper price in Indy? That might be the worst part of your post. Have you ever actually been to Chicago? Tell me where the Lakefront Trail is here. Where's Grant Park? The Mag Mile? Caputo's Italian grocery store? A decent hot dog vendor? Public transportation? Neighborhoods with the Wicker Park/Bucktown/West Loop feel? Etc. Etc.

I like Indy. It's a nice place to live. My kids love the schools, neighborhood, etc. that my 'burb offers. But suggesting that it's equal to Chicago in all aspects is ludicrous.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:20 PM

797 posts, read 2,338,923 times
Quote:

You don't think a hilljack/redneck/rural person would commit a crime? There were just 15 'hill jacks' arrested in Crawford county for drug related charges which included trafficking and theft. This includes a former sheriff and a woman that was 70-something years old. Last summer I think, there were 18 arrested in Salem for the same stuff. I'm from and work in the heart if hilljack country here in Indiana and have seen plenty of crimes. Some hilljack is arrested every single week for theft at one store alone in the tiny town of < 5000 where I work. And every single one of them is white and from a rural area. Just saying

Old 07-31-2013, 12:47 PM

918 posts, read 1,698,099 times
Just came back from spending a week in Indy and five days in Chicago afterwards. Incomparable.

I don't even like to come back to Seattle after visiting Chicago. No place in this country outside of NYC can compete with Chicago in terms of culture, cuisine, public transport, unique neighborhoods, nightlife and architecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis