Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:39 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,154,470 times

Advertisements

An Indy Star article reported that Steak N Shake reportedly has offered two of its biggest critics seats on its Board of Directors.

"Steak n Shake offered to increase its board size from 9 to 11 members to make room for dissident shareholders Sardar Biglari and Dr. Philip L. Cooley of San Antonio, Tex., who started a website last year meant to spur top management changes at the struggling Indianapolis-based casual dining chain."
Steak n Shake seeks to quash dissent | IndyStar.com

Hey Steak N Shake could soon have the new 'Biglari Burger" on its menu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 10:01 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,885 times
Ummm...fast food and chains are all garbage as far as I'm concerned. This is just a fast food chain trying to give the false impression of a diner. I wish people would wise up and eat healthier..maybe Indianapolis wouldn't be one of the most obese cities in the country!!

Old 02-06-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
Ummm...fast food and chains are all garbage as far as I'm concerned. This is just a fast food chain trying to give the false impression of a diner. I wish people would wise up and eat healthier..maybe Indianapolis wouldn't be one of the most obese cities in the country!!
what? The CEO of Steak N Shake is down in Florida today working extra hard to get the chain back on the right track.

I have been to a lot of cities and can't say that Indy is one of the most obese.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:33 AM

I wonder when the new reduced pricing at Steak N Shake goes into effect here, and if there are any special Valentine's Day affairs or deals being offered. Even White Castle is offering them--sweet heart dinners at the White Castle complete with red & white dinner table decorations. A couple in love can sit down and munch away on a dozen greasy and juicy *slyders*. Now isn't that romantic?

Old 02-14-2008, 11:53 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
Reading about the proxy fight going on at S&S makes me nostalgic for my old days in Chicago. This time of year was called proxy season and for the most part, it was boring, but we could always count on at least 1 proxy fight to keep things hopping!! Maybe I'll go check out the documents just to relive old times.

I also found out that my old firm is representing Yahoo in their fight to stave off Microsoft ... oh the bonus check I could have gotten for that deal ... sigh.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:46 PM

95 posts, read 83,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iupui1299 View Post
Hello. I have worked for Steak N Shake for almost 14 years. It was my first job and I worked there for extra money as I went through college. I continue to work there here and there for some extra cash. I have done every job there from dishwasher to server to trainer to manager. Their biggest problem is that they have priced themselves out. They constantly raise their prices. We get new menus 4 - 6 times a year because the prices have changed. They pay diddly squat and rarely ever give raises. If you get a raise your lucky to get a quarter. It's hard work especially if you work at a busy store. They never are fully staffed due to trying to control labor costs. You have to wear a crappy uniform even though they are supposed to be switching to different uniforms. And to pay for those new uniforms they cut employee discounts down from 65% to 50%. You can't go eat there when your not working and get your discount. So you can have worked there for 14 years like me and still have to pay almost 50 bucks to feed a family of 5. They also will not let you take home food to eat even if it is just a steakburger. I have had to pay full price to take home a sandwich home when I had not eaten all day. They do not take care of their employees at all. That being said you are probably wondering why I have worked there for so long. Basically, I have always liked the other employees I have worked with and they are flexible with my schedule. I could seriously go on and on....but the bottom line to why they struggle is because they are pricing themselves out IMO. You could go to a nicer resaurant and get better food for the same price.
Good points and I agree about overpricinf themselves. I also feel they need to do a MUCH better job of cleaning and sanitary practices at their restaurants.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:00 PM

42 posts, read 208,676 times
They have been doing better business lately since the $2.99 special has come out. Which supports the belief of them previously overpricing themselves. They still have a long way to go but it's a small start.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:30 PM

You need to shout that $2.99 special from the house tops.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:17 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,217,262 times
Default Mandarin (Jacksonville) S & S

A S & S opened close by a year ago. We were disappointed when we went the first time- greasy burgers, poor service...but figured that they were new. One year later, the place is filthy- you could tell that the floors hadn't been properly cleaned since they opened- the crud all built up around the booths and baseboard areas, the formica booths were dirty- not the table tops, but the sides of the booths- they hadn't been wiped down in ages.

The last time we went, it was obvious that several staff members were stoned- and I don't mean on pot. They have a couple of their friends "hanging out" at the counter. Waited forty minutes for a milkshake and there were only two other parties dining in and no long line at the drive-through.

It's a shame. My kids and I always ate S & S at when traveling and we were excited to have one close to home, but don't go there any more. When a year-old burger place in an area where families eat out often is empty at 6pm on a week night, there is a problem.

Cleanliness and good service don't cost any more. It's all a reflection of management's priorities. If S & S would improve customer service and have a clean facility (spelled- hire good managers), they might have a chance. But they will have to do a bit of courting to get families to return in my area.

Oh...and give us back the lime freeze!

Old 02-15-2008, 09:01 AM

I'll see to it that word gets to Mr Gilman. That kind of non-sense will not be tolerated any longer, not even with $2.99 specials. Steak N Shake has vowed to reclaim its lost families and bring them all back.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 02-15-2008 at 09:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis