Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 10:34 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I'm not painting Indianapolis as being racist. I'm stating the facts, and I believe that the recent media circus with the governor fully supports my comments. While Florida certainly has its share of intolerance, it's far less overt based on my experience from living in both places. I would also suggest that it's far more tolerant of those living alternative lifestyles as well - again, using current events to support my contention. The OP is no doubt well aware of the progressive nature of St. Pete, as am I, and I can assure you that they will be hard pressed to find an area similar to it in the Indianapolis area without some serious effort.

As for the schools, I had children in a suburban school as well as having family members who teach in the area and are elected members in what used to be ISTA and on a township school board, so I feel very comfortable making the statement about IPS. Yes, there are some good schools in IPS, but as a whole it's a total disaster compared to most of the surrounding township school districts.

I will concede that I overstated personal income tax rates. I was thinking County tax rates were higher. Right now the state income tax rate is roughly 3.3% and county taxes can range from zero to as high as 3%, so I wasn't that far off, depending on where one might settle. I haven't checked surrounding county tax rates, but I don't think any of them are at the high end of that scale.

St. Petersburg is, for the most part, a very liberal and progressive area. The closest thing I could draw a parallel to in Indianapolis might be Broadripple or maybe some of the gentrified areas north of downtown. On the whole, the Indianapolis area is still predominantly "red" no matter how you present it. It gets worse the farther out you go into rural areas.

I stand by my comments as a native of the area who has lived there recently for several years. I also have family who has lived there for three generations, and has watched the city and surrounding areas grow and expand. These observations are not just mine, but a collective of what I have personally observed and experienced along with those of my friends and family who still live there.

RM
So, you think that the recent controversies surrounding the Indiana governor is reflective of Indianapolis. Can I, therefore, see Rick Scott as reflective of the Tampa-St. Pete area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 11:03 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
So, you think that the recent controversies surrounding the Indiana governor is reflective of Indianapolis. Can I, therefore, see Rick Scott as reflective of the Tampa-St. Pete area?
I believe it's reflective of Indiana as a whole, which would include Indianapolis, and it reflects my direct experience from living in the area in recent years as well as the 28 years I spent growing up and living there previously, too.

Skeletor Scott?

Sure, have at it. However, that's wildly off topic and would warrant a separate thread.

RM

Old 07-23-2015, 11:34 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
Quote:
I believe it's reflective of Indiana as a whole, which would include Indianapolis, and it reflects my direct experience from living in the area in recent years as well as the 28 years I spent growing up and living there previously, too.

Skeletor Scott?

Sure, have at it. However, that's wildly off topic and would warrant a separate thread.

RM
So, wouldn't Scott be reflective of Florida as a whole, which includes Tampa-St. Pete??

Old 07-23-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Actually no it wouldn't. If you are going to tie Indy to Mike Pence even though the city didn't vote for him then we have every right to tie Tampa and St. Pete to Rick Scott.
Its very obvious you have an Anti Indy bias so its not worth the argument and debate.
I don't have an "Anti Indy" bias, and I am not speaking based on opinion. My observations are from direct experience with living in the area.

Indy is a great place in a lot of respects. Low cost of living, relatively stable and well educated workforce, growing cultural activities and a revitalized downtown and rapidly gentrifying areas around it. Traffic isn't too bad, depending on where you are, schools are good for the most part, and plenty of different areas to suit the tastes of potential residents as far as housing.

If you're into a four seasons climate it's relatively temperate. Depending on outdoor activities that appeal to people, it's pretty good considering there are no major geographical points such as mountains or beaches. Crime is relatively low, and resources such as higher education are readily accessible and affordable.

As for politics, having had family members who were Precinct Committeemen in the local Republican Party as well as former business partners of John Mutz, Lt. Governor, I know the political landscape far better than the average resident. I would defer to the gold standard of nearly every candidate and elected official, the Cook Partisan Voting Index, to clearly identify the predominant political party in any given district, local, state or federal. The CPVI for Indiana is a very strong "R+7", and seven of the nine congressional districts in the state are clearly Republican in their voting and candidates. I would add that neither of the two districts that identify as Democrat include the Indianapolis area.

RM

Old 07-23-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Yet if i took a 1 month vacation to Florida im sure i would see more confederate flags and hick trailer parks than i could in Indiana. Plus Florida has lower wages than Indiana as well. People make their money in Indiana and then run down to Florida to retire https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ates_by_income
Since 2000 Indiana has actually gotten richer. Florida has gotten poorer.
You need to look closer at those numbers.

With median income there is less than $1,000 difference between Florida and Indiana, statistically insignificant.

Had you looked at per capita income, you would have seen that Florida ranks higher than Indiana.

Confederate flags, sure, we've got them. Trailer parks, too, just like Indiana. I see there are still plenty of them on the west side along Washington St.

All that being said, it's off topic. I don't think the OP was concerned about either. And not that it matters, but I made my money outside of Indiana. And with no state income tax in Florida, I get to keep more of it, too.

RM

Old 07-23-2015, 12:16 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
I don't have an "Anti Indy" bias, and I am not speaking based on opinion.

I know the political landscape far better than the average resident.

The CPVI for Indiana is a very strong "R+7", and seven of the nine congressional districts in the state are clearly Republican in their voting and candidates. I would add that neither of the two districts that identify as Democrat include the Indianapolis area.

RM
Indiana's 7th Congressional District is listed as "D+13" which is more "D" than all but one of the Rs are R. The 7th District is everything in Indianapolis south of 38th Street and a smattering of the city north of 38th.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:49 PM

My mistake, as I was thinking the 7th District was farther east. Interesting that the northern portion of the city is more red. That doesn't come as a surprise.

I still stand by my statements, however.

RM

Old 07-23-2015, 12:54 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
I still stand by my statements, however.
Doesn't make them factual (see page 2)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis