Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 12:28 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times

Advertisements

If you can find a store that sells Berne (hand made in Indiana) it's definitely worth looking at. Much of their line is more traditional, but they have some more contemporary pieces. It's custom made. There was a store up in Carmel that sold it, but I can't recall the name. I know they have a website and were pretty helpful in helping me locate a store.

Definitely not throw away furniture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 09:29 PM

5 posts, read 22,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springwinter View Post
Kittles, Ashley Furniture, Haverty, Value City.

And where can I buy some contemperary furniture?
I heard kittles outlet stores had great prices. Craigslist most leather sofas are as high and 2and 3 years old.Does anyone know a good store for furniture?

Old 02-07-2008, 08:57 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
I liked Kittles outlet. We had good luck at Godby's

Old 02-13-2008, 03:20 PM

563 posts, read 3,742,986 times
I know people have been bashing kittles so here's my two cents on it. We used it for purchasing a Thomasville dresser, Leather couch, ottoman and chair, Barcalounger monster chair and a kids dresser. The service was great, the people friendly, they have refilled our furniture maintainence kit when needed.
The only piece of junk we got from them was the dresser and I have to say that it had nothing to do with them. They stock a number of different brands. You can find a $1000 kids dresser or a $300 kids dresser. We chose the latter like fools and the middle drawer keeps falling out now since the thingy to hold it back has broken off :O)
As to the other pieces, they were excellent but that again had nothing to do with kittles. If you know which brand is good, know a little bit about furniture construction, etc you can find a nice selection of things there marked up a big. A little secret - they will haggle on the price if you are buying a few different items and that's a good thing because they do have quite a markup. They have a modern line but its nothing radical. A few beds and tables but things change rapidly with the store so go take a walk in there and check it out. They've always treated me well.
For modern furniture have a look at Scandinavian comfort.Isn't there another place called dutch inspirations or something? Both in the castleton area. They have some cool things. There's a really expensive modern furniture place on 82nd st and allisonville just west of Castleton Mall but I can't think of the name of it.
If you want junky modern stuff hightail it up to chicago with a minivan and load up

Old 02-16-2008, 01:22 AM

11 posts, read 61,939 times
Just an FYI, for some reason these furniture stores think the southside has a bunch of hillbillies. (the nerve, y' all!) Gerdt and Kittles are my favorite, BUT I venture to the north side to see their FULL selection of styles.

Ashley furniture has SOME FEW good quality items. However, in general, most things have alot of quick wear on them.

Value City, in my humble opinion, is where I shopped in college. Cheap, but well.....cheap.

My FAVORITE furniture find? EBAY!. Really......make sure you are a member and are logged in (so that it knows your zip code) and then when your results come on the screen you can sort those results a variety of ways, but choose "sort by distance" and you can find people 5-200 miles from your location selling furniture.
I have bought a gorgeous 6K cherry bookcase set for $900 on the NW side of Indy.... a Pottery Barn girls bedroom set in Cincinnati, and a great desk and leather chair in Fishers for $150. Can't beat it.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:56 PM

5 posts, read 28,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
I bought a couch at Value City on Lafayette Road, meh, it was ok. I do not remember seeing alot of "contemporary" furniture there. The sales people and delivery people were all nice though.
Ditto here with a couch. We dumped it in the trash after about two years. Value City stuff is all junk to me. IMO, I would stay away.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 10,114 times
Hi Everyone! My son is relocating to Indianapolis area. He is a young professional who has no furniture. He has always lived in furnished apartments while in school. He will be moving into an apartment on Calderway. Looking for close places to shop for furniture for his first apartment. If you have ideas please email: debkcolbert@yahoo.com

Old 04-08-2009, 04:38 PM

76 posts, read 277,037 times
I'm going to buck the trend here and say that nowadays, it really doesn't make a difference. Kittle's, Value City, Gerdt's...they all sell junky furniture made in China (or Vietnam, or Laos, or Cambodia) that will split, the finish will rub off, the chairs - even the ones on the floor - will wobble (uneven legs), etc. Walk into Kittle's or Gerdt's or Ethan Allen or Thomasville (supposedly "high-end" furniture stores) and ask to see the furniture that was made in the U.S.A. Not one of those stores will have a single piece to show you, because the vast majority of furniture manufacturers over the past 10 years relocated overseas or went out of business.

I buy from antique stores or Simply Amish, where the furniture is solid wood and American-made by craftsmen who still take pride in their work.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:43 PM

46 posts, read 187,700 times
Gerdts has nice furniture. They carry Smith Brothers, which is made in Berne, IN and is very well made. I believe they have stores in Greenwood, Avon and Castleton. They can be a bit pricey, but they have nice stuff and sometimes you can find a deal. They also have tent sales now and then.

There's a place called Martin Fine Furniture on US 31 on the southside that is a hole in the wall kind of place, but I've found nice furniture there in the past, but lately, it seems like they're starting to carry more Ashley furniture.

Kittle's seems too overpriced on much of their stuff, but as others have said, their outlet store can have some good prices now and then.

Value City furniture is pure junk. But, if you've got a very limited budget, you can definitely find some stuff that looks decent even though it's probably not going to last very long.

Most Ashley furniture is just a notch or two above Value City's in my opinion.

Godby has some good deals in their clearance room and you can find a mix of quality with them--they carry some decent stuff along with some "bargain" type furniture as well.

If you really want some deals on furniture, check out Miles Furniture in Martinsville. They've got a main showroom on Hwy 37 right in the middle of nowhere, but they've also got a clearance store in between 37 and 67 where they have discontinued merchandise as well as furniture with minor damage at greatly reduced prices.

If quality isn't a requirement, you might also check out Sam's Club. They have leather sofas and chairs at very reasonable prices.

Again, if price is more important than quality, check out Big Lots. I swear, I knew a lady who completely furnished her home with crap she bought at Big Lots--sofa and chairs, bed and nightstands, kitchen table, lamps, computer desk, as well as other things like towels and dishes, and I'm not kidding you, once she got the stuff out of the store and added her own decorating touches, it looked FABULOUS, and it was so CHEAP!

Old 04-09-2009, 05:21 AM

76 posts, read 277,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locean View Post
Gerdts has nice furniture. They carry Smith Brothers, which is made in Berne, IN and is very well made. I believe they have stores in Greenwood, Avon and Castleton. They can be a bit pricey, but they have nice stuff and sometimes you can find a deal. They also have tent sales now and then.
I certainly wish I'd known that when I was shopping at Gerdt's for a dining room set. I asked the saleswoman to show me furniture made in the U.S.A., and she told me Gerdt's no longer carries any American-made furniture. Even the expensive, "high-end," custom-ordered stuff was put together overseas and shipped here. Are you sure they still carry Smith Brothers? I looked up Smith Bros. website and unfortunately couldn't find any info on retail establishments where I can find their furniture. I would absolutely pay more for furniture made with quality right here in Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis