Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 10:03 AM

13 posts, read 18,557 times

Advertisements

I'm a recent college grad, 23, moving to Indy for a job. I had questions on what areas would be ideal to move to for a young professional - I work out toward the airport?

Honestly I do not know what to expect as a comfortable income for Indianapolis? ( I grew up in PA -low income area - and currently live in Connecticut - high income self explanatory haha). I've never lived in a city before so its just all very confusing to me.

I have been looking at apartments downtown online and see that most are 1.2k + - which is quite expensive in my opinion but i understand it is downtown.

Overall - where do young professionals live as I would be moving alone and need to make friends?
What area would you recommend in proximity to work?
How much should I expect to spend on rent/parking/utilities?
and What would be a normal income for a recent college grad and be comfortable to live?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 11:24 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
If I were moving here with no friends, I wouldn't live anywhere other than the Downtown area or Broad Ripple. Both of these neighborhoods have plenty of great restaurants, bars, and nightlife. Since your job is out by the airport, I would focus on Downtown because it's significantly closer than Broad Ripple. Rent for a one bedroom Downtown will usually range from $800-$1200 depending on the age of the building and the amenities offered. Parking at most apartment complexes seems to cost about $100/month. Utilities will depend on the age of the building, but my electric bill at various buildings averaged about $60/month.

I don't know how to comment on normal income since you didn't specify the field you're in. I'd say that most recent business school grads that I know have had starting salaries in the $40,000-$60,000 range.

Old 08-29-2015, 11:53 AM

Sorry guess I missed mentioning that - I work in Human Resources.

So roughly 1.5k a month for everything to live downtown - that's like 18k a year. Seems quite expensive for a new grad after you take taxes and benefits out of your paycheck.

Thanks for your input

Old 08-29-2015, 05:35 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
Well you are thinking of living in the hotest part of the market in probably a new rental. So yes, you would have to pay a premium.

Why not find a smaller less expensive option for one year while you scope out the market and find something special? Check out vanrooy.com for a huge variety of apartments downtown. Utomin is one within walking distance. Says $600-700 and no parking charge. They are a big property managment firm. See what they have available.

Reverie Estates has two big apartment buildings on 16th right next to the Old Northside historic district and with new coffee shop and restaurants. The rents are lower than downtown but you are still in the area and walking/biking is easy. reverieestates.com

Old 08-29-2015, 09:23 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Depends on what you're looking for. I guess you're looking toward an urban experience rather than a suburban one? The thing about working near the airport is there isn't a lot out that way unless you want to be in a suburb or rural area. The downtown to airport commute shouldn't be too bad, but you'll pay dearly if you want to live downtown.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:15 AM

600 posts, read 824,842 times
Thats going to be a commute from downtown and moreso from broad ripple. Plus you will be paying up in rent.

For me id live in Avon if I were working at the airport and just drive downtown or broad ripple on the weekends or whenever I wanted to go out rather than living there.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:17 AM

600 posts, read 824,842 times
Actually Plainfield is nice too. Google Metropolis. Nice new shopping center and I used to go to the movie theater there all the time.

Downtown to the airport will be probably 30 to 40 min. From Broad ripple depending on traffic you'll have to hit the loop south. Probably 45 min if not more.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:38 AM

Thanks for the input, I'm more focused on being able to meet other young people and making friends. I will be moving out to Indy not knowing a soul.
what would you say one had to have as an income to be able to afford living downtown or in broad ripple as they seem to be pricey?

Old 08-30-2015, 01:57 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
No one can give you such an answer. We do not know your fixed or variable living costs. For example, what are your student loan or other debts and payments, what are your auto bills, insurance and other living costs? Only should know your budget and income. I dont want you to post them just analyze them and determine the amount of total housing cost you can afford.

Hopefully you do know your income since you said your job will be at the airport area.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:24 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
Actually Plainfield is nice too. Google Metropolis. Nice new shopping center and I used to go to the movie theater there all the time.

Downtown to the airport will be probably 30 to 40 min. From Broad ripple depending on traffic you'll have to hit the loop south. Probably 45 min if not more.
Nowhere near 30-40 min from downtown to the airport. Greenwood to the airport is 25. Op that distance is more like 10-15 depending on area and where you enter/exit the interstate.

You may also want to check out fountain square just se of downtown with immediate interstate access. There should be rentals in the price range you are wanting with restaurants, art galleries and shops. It's also a quick walk into downtown to Fletcher place with restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis