Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2015, 08:51 AM

111 posts, read 243,377 times

Advertisements

I'm wanting to know some more information about this area from someone who has either lived or been around it. I recently applied for an apartment out this way and am probably going to move in soon. I am not going to say the name of the apartments of course but I've looked them up online and I didn't see anything too bad. I'm a 23 year old male that has just graduated college and will be living by myself. I did however see that there was an apartment complex called heather ridge that has had some crime and has been sued by the city of Indianapolis for violating codes. The one I'm going to be renting from has no such history, but I'm concerned about the area in general. It's nice that it's right by eagle creek, but are there certain areas I should avoid going to? Is the target, chase bank, restaurants, and the marsh right by typically safe? No violent crimes going on usually? I just want to know what this area is like from someone who's lived over here, I like the area, especially that it's right by eagle creek and easy access to the interstate, and it has plenty of shopping nearby, what isn't right there is a few exits up 465 at traders point, but I don't like the area, because it's 38th street. Everyone that's lived in Indy knows to be cautious anywhere on 38th street, lol. And the things I've read about heather ridge just a few minutes south, and it looks like there is subsidized housing nearby. So yeah, I'm just curious on the input from someone who's lived out this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 02:17 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,297,321 times
I live at Deercross for a bit several years ago. I liked living out there, never had any problems.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:05 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,482,498 times
Central Indiana Crime Map - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Found this interesting map of crime. You can drill down to those crimes that are within your area and time of interest.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:21 AM

42 posts, read 44,700 times
I live very close to the area you're considering moving to. It's fairly quiet with some younger people and families. The area around West 38th St. and I-465 has some panhandling near the exits and gas stations, but it's mostly harmless. A firm no usually suffices. Crime does occasionally occur this way, but I wouldn't consider it anymore dangerous than other Indianapolis neighborhoods. Take the same precautions as you would in any other large city (lock doors, windows, mind your business, etc) and you shouldn't have any issues.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:41 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,079,569 times
What is your personality? Are you single and if so do you like meeting people while out with others or more internet type dating? Do you like to go out and meet new people or are you more of a homebody? The only reason I ask is because as someone who is a lot older than you, but works with lots of younger people, if you are young and in your 20s, I really would say to try and get to the downtown or Broad Ripple area. I understand it is more costly, with downtown almost becoming too costly unless you have thousands in student loan lending you can tap into. However, if you are making a decent amount of money, downtown definitely is where it is at if you are into the social scene.

If you aren't into the social scene, I would honestly also check out some of the suburban county apartment complexes. The NW side of town isn't all that great. There are pockets here and there of stable housing additions, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the apartment complexes set aside a portion of their units (or all of them) as voucher subsidized rentals. I have two co-workers who want to flee the area. One is a young renter and he said gun shots are common. He is going to break his lease just to get the hell out of that complex. I don't know exactly where he is. The other is a guy who has a family with a decent enough house, but the neighborhood is going down. He is trying to sell but he is priced too high, but needs that money for a down payment on another home. More and more people have moved in, or are renting, and yards are starting to become trashy, obvious needed home repairs don't get done, etc.. He was a victim of a burglary a few months ago, common for his area.

My personal suggestion if you aren't into being that close to the downtown or Broad Ripple social scenes, but want to live near the NW side, choose Avon or Brownsburg. Check out the complexes before by driving through them. Is there trash in open fields? Are their junker cars parked in the lots? That will give you an idea of what type of residents might live in the complex.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:33 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,270,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoIdentity View Post
I live very close to the area you're considering moving to. It's fairly quiet with some younger people and families. The area around West 38th St. and I-465 has some panhandling near the exits and gas stations, but it's mostly harmless. A firm no usually suffices. Crime does occasionally occur this way, but I wouldn't consider it anymore dangerous than other Indianapolis neighborhoods. Take the same precautions as you would in any other large city (lock doors, windows, mind your business, etc) and you shouldn't have any issues.
Pan handlers go where the money is, though, so that doesn't mean much. There's usually beggers at 86th and Keystone which is right next to the Fashion Mall. Not exactly the ghetto. Just pointing out that that isn't a reason to avoid an area. An annoyance, of course, but not a sign of crime or a bad neighborhood.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:12 AM

42 posts, read 44,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Pan handlers go where the money is, though, so that doesn't mean much. There's usually beggers at 86th and Keystone which is right next to the Fashion Mall. Not exactly the ghetto. Just pointing out that that isn't a reason to avoid an area. An annoyance, of course, but not a sign of crime or a bad neighborhood.
I wasn't trying to persuade the OP to avoid the area. I was trying to give him an idea of the area he was looking to move to. Personally, I've never had any issues with the panhandlers and you're right, panhandling is not an indicator of high crime in an area. Again, just trying to describe the area.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:43 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
It's certainly not the worst part of 38th. I'd still avoid 38th. There are just too many better areas around town.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:42 AM

111 posts, read 243,377 times
I have a girlfriend so the broad ripple dating scene which I am unfortunately familiar with won't be a necessity, I'm really just looking for a cheap place to live that's not crime infested and isn't too far from Zionsville where I work, and it's about a 15 minute drive. I read all of these responses a few days ago, my apologies for not responding but I'm moving in. I've done a lot of research on the area and it's not a bad area. Friends and family had freaked out a little when I said 38th street, but it;s really not that bad on the west side, especially by Eagle Creek. Maybe not the most ideal place but it seems like you could do a lot worse. East side on 38th street though, better have 7 dead bolts on your doors and bullet proof windows.

Yeah panhandlers don't bother me I see them in small towns in Indiana too they're harmless as you said Noldentity, I appreciated your input by the way.

I appreciate all of your inputs, and the only reason why I'm not moving to Zionsville or Carmel with nicer apartment complexes is because the move in costs are way too expensive and I needed a place asap, and the rents were just too high to commit to sign a lease at one of those complexes. I don't have kids or anything so school district wouldn't be a need, it just didn't make much sense for me to move to one of the complexes off of whitestown parkway or anything like that because my income isn't that high yet and I don't want to get myself into financial trouble that way.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:52 PM

140 posts, read 256,378 times
I know this is a bit late, but if you haven't yet made your move, and are still set on the NW quad of Indy/Marion, there's a nice little cluster of apartment complexes bounded by Georgetown Rd to the west, 71st to the south, Ditch Rd (really even to Spring Mill Rd) to the east, and 86th to the north. Shoot, Westland Rd (which 71st turns into going east soon as you cross Michigan Rd) had a whole group of complexes nestled in there. Most pall of them are tree-shaded and a few are gated...they all seemed pretty decent to me. And if you're working in Zionsville that's near perfect for you...especially considering the amentities you're near right in that 86th @ Zionsville intersection as well as 86th @ Michigan. And of course there's easy access to the beltway.

Granted, this is two-year-old information by this point, but I remember many 2br/2ba units up that way going for somewhere in the $700-$850/mo range, many with washer/dryer included. I'd think it'd be worth a look. And it all seemed plenty quiet to me.

Far as crime...I have to laugh sometimes at what many in and around the Indy area deem to be "sketchy" if not outright "ghetto". Now true there's some genuine rough spots in and around the area, most concentrated to the hear east and near north side, but over on that side of town...with the possible exception of a little riff raff behind Lafayette Square Mall area, in three years of living in Indy I don't recall much if anything happening over there, and certainly nothing that'd lead me to question it as "unsafe"--but then again, "safety" is also relative to what one is used to and/or can tolerate. My opinion, 98% of Indy is perfectly fine--sure there may be a few "sketches", but even that in my opinion is mostly petty stuff, at least compared to where I come from. (If you really wanna see "hood", take a trip down to where I come from down on the northwest FL panhandle.)

Hope you find what you're looking for...best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis