Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 06:14 PM

3 posts, read 15,573 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a single successful professional woman, educated and intelligent, 31, who just moved to Indy last year. I was quite happy when I received the offer from Indy because it is one of the few cities in the mid west. Friends also told me that I might be able to find a group of single professional guys in their 30s to start a long term relationship and more. The problem is that ever since I moved here it seems that almost everyone is married, or never interested in getting married, or just not my type (education-wise). Bummer. I tried meetup groups and match with not much avail. I consider myself pretty, attractive, slim, and treating people well. My only problem is that I do not drink and this has kept me away from a lot of meeting folks through sports bars. As days are passing by my doubt starts to increase: Is Indy a dateless place or did I miss any place(s) that I should have visited? I love my job and really hate to give it up to go to another town, Any insights would be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 07:28 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
Indy is pretty family oriented. I unfortunately know several wonderful professional women who have had great difficulty meeting their soul mate.

I can only suggest getting involved in a lot of different activities and locating a church. A great friend found her significant other while working on activities with her Unitarian Church.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:01 PM

914 posts, read 4,443,783 times
Yeah, I have several single friends looking to move because they feel like there is no single scene for the young professional type. (Even with the bars.) I'm sorry you're not having any luck. It does seem like this is a difficult place to meet people.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:27 AM

423 posts, read 1,248,054 times
With the exception of Chicago, in most Midwestern cities, I'd estimate people are "hitched" at some point in their mid 20s. Indianapolis is indeed pretty family oriented, and even most of the college-educated yuppie scene in the city particularly attracts young couples. Indy does not usually rate highly on "Best Cities for Singles"--instead, it rates very highly for people getting married, which might not be great for you but is an excellent indicator for what your long-term prospects might be. People often don't remain single for very long.

That said, you're doing the right things--keep being active about it because obviously passivity will get you nowhere. I wasn't looking for a mate but moved alone to a new city a couple years ago with a much less family-friendly vibe and a heavy drinking reputation--I too am a non-drinker. I found outlets through language classes, a side job waiting tables, volunteering to help low-income folks, a church, etc. It took well over a year for me to find a niche but I never felt ready to give up on the city--and in hindsight, I'm glad I didn't.

My recommendation would still be to gravitate toward activities in the downtown area, where the likelihood of finding singles is much much greater. Clearly you will find little of that sort of thing in Carmel or Fishers. Hope that helps.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:14 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Indianapolis is couples/young families oriented. most of my matched up friends in college and grad school headed to I dianapolis, while crazy singles like headed to Chicago.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:29 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by postpast View Post
Hi, I'm a single successful professional woman, educated and intelligent, 31, who just moved to Indy last year. I was quite happy when I received the offer from Indy because it is one of the few cities in the mid west. Friends also told me that I might be able to find a group of single professional guys in their 30s to start a long term relationship and more. The problem is that ever since I moved here it seems that almost everyone is married, or never interested in getting married, or just not my type (education-wise). Bummer. I tried meetup groups and match with not much avail. I consider myself pretty, attractive, slim, and treating people well. My only problem is that I do not drink and this has kept me away from a lot of meeting folks through sports bars. As days are passing by my doubt starts to increase: Is Indy a dateless place or did I miss any place(s) that I should have visited? I love my job and really hate to give it up to go to another town, Any insights would be helpful!
You will likely find there are many over-30 men in Indy that are divorced and have childen from their prior marriage. Are you open to that?

Old 03-21-2011, 02:50 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,382 times
Options:

1. Move.
2. Lower your standards.
3. Date younger guys.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:21 PM

63 posts, read 223,237 times
Champps in the summer time on a Wednesday night

Old 03-22-2011, 03:37 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,659,983 times
Start drinking.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:29 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
You of course do not have to drink alcohol to enjoy the company in a bar or other social occasion. Any!! bartender will fix you anything nonalcoholic you want. Unless you are looking for other nondrinkers or do not want to be around drinkers (understand) this is pretty limiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis