Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 06:56 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,840,763 times

Advertisements

I'm not looking to make waves...but have to ask...

I was in Indianapolis last week on business. I stopped at a gas station over on the east side of town. A couple big white dudes staffing the place, mix of black and white patrons.

A nicely dressed black woman came in, and one of these guys says "what's up, [n-word] mama?"...and continues to make really crude comments aloud about "doing her" and throws in more racial statements.

Now...here in North Idaho, which is 99% white and people think that somehow makes us racists, one of us WHITE GUYS still would have slapped that racist piece of trash upside the head....but in this place, the black people just sort of looked down at the floor, and the white people just ignored it. I was speechless....in my life, even having worked in Los Angeles with some pretty strong racially tense situations, I never saw it just tolerated in a daily life setting like this....seeing that it appeared "normal" I was just disgusted and put down my stuff and walked out, holding the door for the woman on her way out.

I would like to think this was just completely a huge anomaly and that people aren't still subjecting people to this type of treatment. Am I right, or am I wrong? Is it truly that bad in Indianapolis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 07:46 PM
REM

368 posts, read 995,260 times
at lunch at my school there is a white and black side but i think it has to do more with cultural differences rather than race its self. I live on the eastside and i have never heard of anything like that... what was the gas station called?

Old 02-23-2008, 07:57 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,515,416 times
Default Not racism

I dont think there is as much racism as there is a lot of age discrimination.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:08 AM

I don't recall the name of the place. I had been out on the freeway that loops around from the north side back toward the airport (70 fwy IIRC), and was going back toward downtown and stopped to grab some snacks (after paying for room service at the Conrad, I decided to buy my own munchies). But I'm glad to hear that's not commonly accepted there.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:33 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
There are idiot rednecks everywhere. It's really too bad that you saw that happen, but, unfortunately, it could have happened almost anywhere. I would have said a few things to those guys or asked the lady if she was ok.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:55 PM

46 posts, read 211,013 times
Default Really

Thats very hard to believe. Especially in a place where so many people are packin heat. <mod cut, inappropriate>

Last edited by domergurl; 03-06-2008 at 06:27 AM..

Old 03-03-2008, 01:22 AM

33 posts, read 118,223 times
SageofSagle, I have to say that I think what you saw was a very rare incident. No doubt it left a lousy first impression, but as someone who has lived in Indy for nearly 40 years, I can say that I cannot recall seeing a incident of racism like that. In fact, the only public incident of racism I can recall ever seeing was over 20 years ago, when working a fast food job- a customer called my co-worker and friend by the n-word when leaving the drive through. My friend was really good natured, and it was probably lucky, as he was the one who held me back, LOL

And look at my other posts, I'm about a million miles from being an apologist for Indianapolis- I can't wait to leave the sludgepile that the elected idiots have turned this city (and state) into. But I DO feel the need to be honest about your question.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbama73 View Post
SageofSagle, I have to say that I think what you saw was a very rare incident. No doubt it left a lousy first impression, but as someone who has lived in Indy for nearly 40 years, I can say that I cannot recall seeing a incident of racism like that. In fact, the only public incident of racism I can recall ever seeing was over 20 years ago, when working a fast food job- a customer called my co-worker and friend by the n-word when leaving the drive through. My friend was really good natured, and it was probably lucky, as he was the one who held me back, LOL

And look at my other posts, I'm about a million miles from being an apologist for Indianapolis- I can't wait to leave the sludgepile that the elected idiots have turned this city (and state) into. But I DO feel the need to be honest about your question.
From the responses, it sounds like a completely isolated incident, and that's good to hear. I know it can be frustrating...North Idaho had to get rid of some white power idiots back in the mid 90's (Richard Butler and the Aryan Nation folks), but they're long gone and NID is all the better for it...

Old 03-04-2008, 12:12 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,509 times
What you probobly experienced is a white dude who is fully convinced that he is black. Indiana is LOADED with suburban and even inner-city white kids who adopt the hip hop culture (usually of lower social classes). Thus, he probobly believed his comments were not racist at all because he is black, even though he isn't. Does that make any sense?

Old 03-06-2008, 05:32 AM

7 posts, read 54,912 times
I reconnected with my old neighbor from my childhood, he moved to Indianapolis and lived there for almost 2 decades. We are both in our early 30s, both Caucasian, and we were both born in Hayward, California, east bay of San Francisco. In the Hayward city limits, there is a sign that says, No Room for Racism.
I wanted to know all about Indianapolis. He told me about the inside of the circle, and the White Flight, and how the white fled the circle in the 80s, and moved to the suburbs like Carmel, Nobelsville, Fishers, etc...

He said, that they still keep black people down in Indy.
In Terre Haute, in a movie theater, they still have racist black signs, of segregation left up on the walls. Of course there is no more legal segregation. But the signs are still there. Why?
He said that blacks get everything second to best. And he said he just felt Indiana was a death trap.
I realize, he was a bit of a negative guy for many reasons. So I have no opinion, I don't know if it's true or not. I'm posting through the grapevine.
But, Go ahead, and search wikipedia for white flight,
and you will gain some understanding of the history of Indianapolis racism.

There is some tension going on there. It hasn't completely died yet....

I lived in Cali and now in Washington, in the Seattle area,
and Washington is where every race walks hand in hand,
and I have not even heard of any racial issues.
California, is home of the fight for your rights, whoever you may be, woman, man, child, homosexual, vegan, gun advocate, victim, handicap, ethnic majority or minority, etc...
California welcomes debating and resolving issues. Tension is like tennis for Californians. Everyone wants to win!
People are very vocal about issues.
But WA, is very mellow, and they see the Californians as militant, loud, proud fighters!
Washington is more peaceful. But not enough sun...

Anyway,
I personally don't know about Indy, I just relayed what I heard from someone wanting to move out.

There are good and bad parts of everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis