Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 07:44 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
your being very vague here...not sure what your saying...are you equating high crime with racism?
Just don't know what your saying here....

Some people fail to realize that racism can go any different way. From my experience as a white kid in a predominantly black school in Detroit, the lone white student(s) will experience a multitude of problems, many racial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 06:33 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
I haven't seen too much outright racism. That said, although I haven't attempted to verify this, I doubt the Caucasian people I have met in the area have too many African-American friends. That doesn't mean they are racist, but it maybe possible that the 'typical' Caucasian person in this area may have fewer African-American friends than the 'typical' Caucasian person in a more cosmopolitan city, like NYC, Chicago, etc.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:53 PM

423 posts, read 1,248,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I haven't seen too much outright racism. That said, although I haven't attempted to verify this, I doubt the Caucasian people I have met in the area have too many African-American friends. That doesn't mean they are racist, but it maybe possible that the 'typical' Caucasian person in this area may have fewer African-American friends than the 'typical' Caucasian person in a more cosmopolitan city, like NYC, Chicago, etc.
Could be, but considering how Chicago has a Berlin Wall-style color barrier separating the white northside from the black southside, I wouldn't draw any simple conclusions. Indy's low cost of living means its easier for upwardly mobile folks to buy in desirable middle class neighborhoods; in a city like Chicago, blue collar people are often shut out of all but the low income places because everywhere else is so expensive. Ditto for NYC.

FWIW, you can see plenty of interracial couples at the Greenwood Park Mall, on that famously "racist" side of Indianapolis. And you can't draw a color line here nearly as easily as a lot of the older, more expensive Midwestern cities.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:57 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times
I also find this very hard to believe. The OP said said he was on the east side. That's the worst side of Indy. Notorious for violence. And the OP said there were other blacks inside the store with these 2 white dudes spouting off racial slurs. I can tell you that most likely someone would have slapped the silliness out of ol boy spatting off like that.

Racism does exist in Indy but not normally to this extent. Must've been some big body building rednecks bench pressin John Deere axles and really small blacks for them to have had the kahunas to say what they said and live to tell about it.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:17 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,761,065 times
I have held off on jumping in on this one but here is my take: Having worked in that part of town I have seen this type of behavior. It is done by whites who want to "fit in" with the locals. If they had ball caps on you will notice they were worn to the side (great look and uncomfortable). They try to walk the walk and talk the talk like the locals do. I have seen clowns like this ever since I was in the Army.
I would place money on the fact they weren't being racist..........they were trying to be "cool". I would also put money on the fact that they are pathetic losers.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:25 AM

780 posts, read 1,542,654 times
Default Racism is not one sided

It is interesting to read how too many feel that Affirmative Action is the mainstay for race related issues. For years Whites swam in the waters of racial preference without regard for anyone outside of their race. If fact, even White women were excluded from making advances. This was the original "white version" (if you will) of AA. Perfectly exclusionary and myopically directed.

While AA is not the answer to all ills and is somewhat flawed, it was an effort to allow non-whites an opportunity to genuinely succeed or fail on their own merits. Being denied an opportunity to do such is the type of behavior that warranted this action. If there was an exclusionary practice to begin with, there would be no need for AA. Some argue that White American brought this upon themselves by their actions.

Sadly, there are too many of the poverty pimps who have convinced White American that they are the spokesperson for all things Black. This is not the case and many Blacks cringe when they randomly appear. For years Black leaders have to asked the tough questions and bring forth issues that make folks uncomfortable. However, these issues need to be addressed and we cannot shy away from them.

Black America has to take a step back and look at themselves with a critical eye. The denial of responsibility and accountability has to stop as does this cycle of entitlement. Education is still the key to success no matter what you look like.

I once challenged a guy with like-minded views such as some on this thread to spend the day with me walking and talking to Black people to understand how they feel and realize that Blacks and Whites have more in common that he thought. He had sheltered himself from reality and his only avenue of exposure was through the media. After we did this, he had a better understanding that we all want the same things....good education, a safe place to live, good jobs etc. When we rode by a predominately White lower income housing area, he saw the same thing he saw in the Black neighborhoods. The only different was the color of the citizens skin.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:09 PM

92 posts, read 351,334 times
I've noticed a lot of anti-minority sentiment here in the Indianapolis area. That's the closest to racism I can sense while having lived here for the last 2 1/2 years.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:26 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,626 times
When i was in indy i didn't sense anything like that.

I find that original incident which is now years old to be highly improbable or to have a backstory the op was not aware of. After all from what is said it was aimed at her specificially, not at the "black patrons" in the establishment. Just something that must be considered before we all go and lynch the state/city over hearsay

Old 02-24-2010, 05:23 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,882,017 times
Well im from India and definitely Brown .. i have an alias on an online gaming website and the name is Breadwinner .. i've made many friends from all over the world ..and most of them from England .. never been racially abused ..but yes sometimes those friends of mine called me names like Brown Bread lol ..i didnt take it personal ..i dont know whats in their right minds ..but still never took it hard .. all i've said to them is that yes im a brown bread and im healthy compared to the white breads lolz ... strictly on dietary facts .. they took it offensively ..and thats where they've pushed me to their ignore list .. however its all in the mind ..and i've said this a million times to people ..

Old 02-24-2010, 02:24 PM

4 posts, read 8,804 times
Thumbs up I'll tell you the truth... but will you believe it

Racism has always existed and will always be here. As for the women if she heard those statements and didn't address them, the other people probably didn't want to interfere.If someone that CAN stand up for themselves don't why should a bystander. If she didn't hear the statements then the other people that did just didn't want to respond back to the ignorance.You shouldn't say what you would never do, those bystanders might have to go to that store regularly and they might have a way of dealing with their attitudes,This isn't a nasty comment you have no clue about racism.You might have seen it on TV but experiencing it IS DIFFRENT. CONSTANT racist remarks by a white person 99.9 out of 100% will be said by someone out loud if they are in a group or with friends,unless they have a weapon. These are examples of REACTING TOWARD RACISM... An African American man goes inside a nice restaurant, if he feels he isn't being treated fairly he'll call the people names and be blunt and disrespectful REGARDLESS of who is there 60% of the time A caucasion man goes inside of restaurant, if he feels he isn't being treated fairly he will say a few comments and leave 80% BlACKS are more likely to respond to racism more aggressivly and negatively because it still exist overall but in some cases there are situations like you presented ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis