Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:51 PM

25 posts, read 61,879 times

Advertisements

Hi - Im thinking of moving to Indy with my family (from the UK) sometime in the next year. There may be a job for me at Rolls Royce - but not definite yet. Ive been there a few times and quite like the place. However I would like some recommendations on where is best to live with a young family. I like Broadripple but assume this may be a bit pricy.

Any suggestions - thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 01:11 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,654 times
It depends on your price range, and whether you intend to have your children go to public or private schools. If you like the Broad Ripple area, you would probably find much of Meridian-Kessler and Butler-Tarkington to be to your liking as well. Unfortunately, almost everything in this area is in the IPS district. So not only are the homes fairly expensive, the public schools are pretty lousy. The best public schools in Marion County (which is coextensive with the Indianapolis city limits) are in northern Washington Township and in Lawrence Township, or in other words, the far north and northeast areas of the city itself. Pretty much everything north of the White River is outside the IPS district.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
It depends on your price range, and whether you intend to have your children go to public or private schools. If you like the Broad Ripple area, you would probably find much of Meridian-Kessler and Butler-Tarkington to be to your liking as well. Unfortunately, almost everything in this area is in the IPS district. So not only are the homes fairly expensive, the public schools are pretty lousy. The best public schools in Marion County (which is coextensive with the Indianapolis city limits) are in northern Washington Township and in Lawrence Township, or in other words, the far north and northeast areas of the city itself. Pretty much everything north of the White River is outside the IPS district.
Thanks Naptowner - Im likely to be working near the airport so what areas would be commutable from there. Im looking to rent first - but would eventualy be looking for 4 beds/2 baths min and would imagine having about $250 k to $350 k to spend. Oh and what does IPS mean ?

Old 03-18-2009, 02:26 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
IPS stands for Indianapolis Public Schools. If you'll be working near the airport, I would suggest you look at Plainfield, too.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:40 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,905 times
Hi Brit!

My husband works at Rolls-Royce, and we live in Avon, which is on the West side of Indy. His commute takes about 20-30 minutes depending on traffic, and he does not take the highway, only surface roads. We love it here!

You can get a lot of house here for that price range, in a very nice neighborhood.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
IPS stands for Indianapolis Public Schools. If you'll be working near the airport, I would suggest you look at Plainfield, too.
Thanks you've all been a great help so far

Old 03-18-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikiJayne View Post
Hi Brit!

My husband works at Rolls-Royce, and we live in Avon, which is on the West side of Indy. His commute takes about 20-30 minutes depending on traffic, and he does not take the highway, only surface roads. We love it here!

You can get a lot of house here for that price range, in a very nice neighborhood.
Hi - Yes Ive heard Avon is nice. So are you a Brit and if so how long have you lived there

Old 03-18-2009, 03:06 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,905 times
I only wish I was a Brit. I'm a huge Beatles fan though, doesn't that count a little? I also have a friend from Cornwall. My husband has been there twice on Rolls-Royce business trips, to Derby and... I can't remember the other city he went to. Bristol?

Old 03-18-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikiJayne View Post
I only wish I was a Brit. I'm a huge Beatles fan though, doesn't that count a little? I also have a friend from Cornwall. My husband has been there twice on Rolls-Royce business trips, to Derby and... I can't remember the other city he went to. Bristol?
LOL theres a bit more to us then the Beatles - but yes they were great. I do love Cornwall and the west Country (Bristol included) but I like what Ive seen of Indianapolis and the surrounding areas so far. Broadripple made me feel quite at home in many ways. I love it down near the River too.

Ill certainly have a serious look at moving out there but cant really consider it without a sound job offer. Then the process begins of looking at Schools, somewhere to live, healthcare and finances etc. Its all very exciting but alas still only a dream at the moment.

So which engine does your husband work on ? (Me its the Model 250)

Old 03-18-2009, 03:23 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
There are a lot of Brits living in the Indy area. A good friend of mine from Cambridge lives in Carmel and I've met several people through her, also expat Brits. Many work for Lilly and RR ... I met a lady whose husband works for RR from Bristol, they are renting a home in Fishers.

The only thing you'll really miss are grocery items you are accustomed to. You can get Robinson's (Lemon and Orange mainly) and some smaller grocery items ... have yet to find marmite though. There's a fantastic international grocery store outside Cincinnati (about 2.5 hours from Indy) called jungle jims ... my friend makes trips there every now and then to stock up.

Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis