Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 08:50 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,272 times

Advertisements

I believe marriage should be between man and woman (regardless of their religion) but agree with many of your points.

McDonaldIndy is right too. Average Hoosier has no idea who Rick Santorum is.

10 years from now Pence will be less famous than Quayle (assuming Trump loses).

Country is definitely becoming more liberal. I believe the biggest shift will be among the American born children of illegal immigrants, who skew Democrat.

If Republicans were smart they would push for comprehensive immigration reform and actually do it. My Mexican mother in law would be republican if not for immigration stance of republican party.

Tolerance is a dumb word. We cannot preach tolerance if we hate on those who disagree with us, whether liberal or conservative. Refusing to move to an area because it is too conservative or liberal is the opposite of tolerance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 08:37 PM

3,252 posts, read 2,336,785 times
Having been to Pittsburgh and San Francisco numerous times I can assure you Pittsburgh is nowhere close to San Francisco in their level of social liberalness, acceptance of gays, and alternative life styles. Does Pittsburgh have an annual Gay Pride festival and parade? Do they have an annual BDSM Festival? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folsom_Street_Fair Do you see cross dressers in your office? Frequently on the street? Does Pittsburgh empty out every year and head to the Nevada desert for Burning Man Art Festival? Burning Man Does Pittsburgh have a area in the city like the Castro district of SF where thousands of gays live and work? I

It's laughable to say any city in Pennsylvania is as socially liberal as San Francisco. Heck, Pittsburgh isn't even as socially liberal as Seattle, much less San Francisco.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:43 AM

70 posts, read 128,897 times
Thank you for the responses! I really appreciate them.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:29 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Indianapolis isn't very solidly blue. It leans Blue but Republicans can win if they A aren't extremists, and B actually try to win and are funded.
Mitch Daniels 2008 with 56% of the vote, former Mayor Greg Ballard 2007 51% of the vote and 2011 with 52%. Democrats have a bare 1 seat majority due to 2 weak Republicans that lost. (Ben Hunter and Robert Lutz)
Wouldn't Democrats have a 5 seat majority if it weren't for the state taking away Marion County's at-large seats?

OP: One similarity you'll find between Texas and Indiana is a big-brother state government (GOP, of course) that tries to limit the rights of those living in the state's biggest cities whenever it can.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:34 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,970 times
Quote:
San Francisco is hardly a Mecca of Tolerance.
If you are not a flaming liberal they will spit on you, pee on you, and treat you like garbage.
Even if you are more moderate libertarian the amount of disrespect you'll receive is unreal.
A truly tolerant city would be Indianapolis.
Having lived in SF for the last 2 years prior to this January, I can agree 100% with the statement that SF is not tolerant. SF is just as close-minded as the most hardcore right-wing area. It's just a close-minded left-wing area. Being a moderate-lean libertarian, I was treated rather rudely, and have enjoyed the conversations of more tolerant people since moving to Louisville despite their own opinions sometimes going to the extreme right. SF long time residents who rent houses are fighting back against people with money buying up property and kicking out the less affluent folks. However, they never bought property, so their expected rights (when the US doesn't have squatter's rights) are basically moot. It was maddening to hear the ignorance they spewed in favor of themselves without thinking of the bigger picture - in stark contrast to what they scream on the other side of the table.

Don't really agree with the 2nd statement though. I lived in Indy for 8 years and I wouldn't call it tolerant, in fact I felt Indiana was 10x more racist than Kentucky, even in Bloomington, where I lived for 2 years also.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:36 AM

119 posts, read 154,869 times
Get outside of the IU area and it is not tolerant

Old 10-10-2016, 10:39 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
More racist than Kentucky? Lol hardly. Thanks for the laugh though. Saying Bloomington is more racist than Kentucky really destroys your point.
(What some perceive as racism sometimes isn't racism) We apply the race card so often and broadly its losing its real meaning. You have to think deeply and analyze an encounter to see if its truly racism or not.
I've lived in Kentucky, live in Indiana now. Racists live in both places. Saying one is more racist than the other seems pretty silly to me.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:38 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,970 times
Wasn't really meant to debate - it was simply my opinion from experiences I've had over 27 years in both states. Yes, racists are everywhere, including a good swath of townies in Bloomington. Yeah, B-ton has a good set of tolerant people as well, but much of B-ton proper is made up of commuters from outer towns and counties and they are most certainly not tolerant.

Old 10-11-2016, 05:34 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
That was my point earlier in the thread.

As an employer who had five employees in the company (out of others) that lived and were raised in outlying areas, such as Monrovia and Mooresville, I found that all of them harbored racist views and they weren't shy about making them known. None of them were educated beyond high school, either. Several of them had served in the armed services, which I'm not sure if this encouraged such views or not. It didn't seem to have dampened them.

My other employees, some of which were of similar backgrounds with the exception of where they were born and raised or currently lived in the area, had no propensity for such views, or if they did they certainly kept it to themselves.

I'm not suggesting this is representative of the population as a whole as the sample size is hardly of value, but it seemed to me based on observation and other experiences that the demographic is out there and probably fairly common.

RM

Old 10-11-2016, 08:22 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
That was my point earlier in the thread.

As an employer who had five employees in the company (out of others) that lived and were raised in outlying areas, such as Monrovia and Mooresville, I found that all of them harbored racist views and they weren't shy about making them known. None of them were educated beyond high school, either. Several of them had served in the armed services, which I'm not sure if this encouraged such views or not. It didn't seem to have dampened them.

My other employees, some of which were of similar backgrounds with the exception of where they were born and raised or currently lived in the area, had no propensity for such views, or if they did they certainly kept it to themselves.

I'm not suggesting this is representative of the population as a whole as the sample size is hardly of value, but it seemed to me based on observation and other experiences that the demographic is out there and probably fairly common.

RM
IMO it's going to be much more common in rural areas than urban or affluent suburban areas anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis