Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,072 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'd like to know how is the transport system in Indianapolis suburban area and which cities have the best access by train/bus to the city center?
Thanks,
Aymeirc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 12:54 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,355,682 times
Trains, as a means of public transportation, doesn't exist in Indianapolis. Google IndyGo for route information on buses that operate in the city.

This link shows the few suburban-city connections. Not much.....

http://www.cirta.us/pages/bus/

Old 10-05-2016, 12:56 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,271,677 times
IndyGo provides bus service in Indianapolis. It does not run into the suburbs. The only service is bus service though a bus-rapid transit route is currently being constructed from the University of Indianapolis on the southside through downtown to Broad Ripple. Eventually this is planned to be extended into Carmel and Westfield to the north and down to Greenwood in the south but that will be a while.

Home - IndyGo

There is a referendum on the ballot this November in Marion County to expand and increase bus service but again, only in Marion County. Not into the suburbs. If you need any kind of transportation in the suburbs, you'll have to call a cab, Uber, Lyft, or an on demand bus. Those are listed here on the CIRTA website. Central Indiana Regional Transportation Authority | Door to Door

Old 11-17-2016, 04:14 PM

5 posts, read 4,717 times
Indy has one the worst mass transit setups in the US for a major city. There was an article awhile back that ranked Indy last, so it's not just my opinion, though I obviously agree.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:34 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,300,247 times
The transit referendum passed, so hopefully better days are ahead for transit in Indy.

Old 11-18-2016, 12:16 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,271,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The transit referendum passed, so hopefully better days are ahead for transit in Indy.
All the referendum really did was give the city council the authority to vote on whether to actually go through with raising taxes to address it, unfortunately. And they could go for the full thing or they could cut it down. And I don't know if there is a timeline for when they have to do it, either.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:16 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,300,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
All the referendum really did was give the city council the authority to vote on whether to actually go through with raising taxes to address it, unfortunately. And they could go for the full thing or they could cut it down. And I don't know if there is a timeline for when they have to do it, either.
What I have heard is that because the vote passed by such a wide margin, they were going to pass the whole tax and try to move quickly. Fingers crossed.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:19 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,874,318 times
Default Rapid bus transit is oxymoron

If I can drive quicker and have money why would I ever take a bus or train, which you do not have in Indy?

Buses only make sense for very close distances and for people who are not able to drive.

I take the train (el or metra) when I am downtown Chicago because it is faster than driving.

Would light rail make sense for Indy or is there not enough density?

Old 11-19-2016, 11:44 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,152,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
IndyGo provides bus service in Indianapolis. It does not run into the suburbs. The only service is bus service though a bus-rapid transit route is currently being constructed from the University of Indianapolis on the southside through downtown to Broad Ripple. Eventually this is planned to be extended into Carmel and Westfield to the north and down to Greenwood in the south but that will be a while.

Home - IndyGo

There is a referendum on the ballot this November in Marion County to expand and increase bus service but again, only in Marion County. Not into the suburbs. If you need any kind of transportation in the suburbs, you'll have to call a cab, Uber, Lyft, or an on demand bus. Those are listed here on the CIRTA website. Central Indiana Regional Transportation Authority | Door to Door
Does indygo no longer meetup with access Johnson county at the target on 135 & Smith valley or at the Kmart at 31 & Smith valley. Assuming they still go to the walmart at county line and greenwood park mall. When I left indygo was just beginning to go out to that industrial park in Plainfield by metropolis. Did they discontinue?

Old 11-19-2016, 12:29 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,912,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
If I can drive quicker and have money why would I ever take a bus or train, which you do not have in Indy?

Buses only make sense for very close distances and for people who are not able to drive.

I take the train (el or metra) when I am downtown Chicago because it is faster than driving.

Would light rail make sense for Indy or is there not enough density?
Some people don't drive. Some people aren't interested in learning how to drive. There are scores to people who can't afford a vehicle let alone the insurance, gas, maintenance, upkeep and other hidden cost associated with automobile ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis