Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 06:32 PM

14 posts, read 35,093 times

Advertisements

I am researching areas for possible relocation and for some reason I keep coming back to Indy. I need some information on which are good neighborhoods, school info, ect.

Pretty much any info you can provide will be helpful and the more the better.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 07:13 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,533 times
That is a very broad question!! We will need more info to be more helpful to you. What kinds of things are you looking for? Nightlife? Suburbs? Schools that are awesome?

Old 04-14-2009, 08:04 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,062,199 times
I agree with MikiJayne your being a little to broad.

Hendricks County(which is immediately West of Indianapolis) (including the towns of Avon-Plainfield-Danville-Brownsburg) Have excellent nationally recognized schools for their excellence in education and technology in the classroom. These towns have very excellent neighborhoods.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:14 AM

308 posts, read 1,041,878 times
I highly recommend the Carmel/Westfield area for schools, organized sports, shopping, restaurants, friendly/safe neighborhoods....

Old 04-15-2009, 06:55 PM

We are looking at actually inside Indianapolis. I know that every town has it's good sides and bad sides so I pretty much need to know what parts of the city to avoid.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:21 PM

I'm thinking you'll want private schools then. (If differing opinions out there, feel free to post)! Indianapolis, Washington township had a decent reputation several years ago.... perhaps still does??? (That would be North Central H.S., not sure of the schools that feed into it).

Old 04-16-2009, 08:05 AM

My kids are still in elementary schools and my oldest will be going on to jr high year after next. Are the public elementay schools that bad there?

Old 04-16-2009, 08:20 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexySoccerMom View Post
My kids are still in elementary schools and my oldest will be going on to jr high year after next. Are the public elementay schools that bad there?
No. But the folks who don't live in Indianapolis LOVE ripping apart the schools here. IPS, yes, it deserves the bad rap it gets and no, I would not currently send my kids (if I had any) to IPS. I would, without reservation, send them to any of the township schools (except Wayne). I have heard a lot of ridiculous arguments against the township schools; even a claim that because Franklin Township is only slighty above average ISTEP scores they are inferior. Lawrence (north rather than central), Washington, and Franklin are all solid school districts; Decatur, Perry, and Pike are probably a step below, but still fine. The fact of the matter is I have attended township schools, I know people who have attended and graduated from township schools; and we all turned out fine with a good education.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexySoccerMom View Post
Indianapolis Public Schools district does not have a good reputation, but there are suburbs all around the city with better public schools. North Central district that I mentioned is Indianapolis, but not "IPS". Carmel is just North of that and Westfield further North and would be better. There are so many good districts 'just outside' Indy. Actually, there is at least one neighborhood with and Indianapolis address that is within Carmel district, at about 98th Street.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:19 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,311 times
Indianapolis has 9 townships, but the township boundaries are not necessarily the same as the school district boundaries, even though the districts are named after the townships. Avoid the IPS district. This district extends into Washington Township, and includes some of the nicest areas of Washington Township, such as Broad Ripple, Meridian-Kessler, and Butler-Tarkington. This map shows the school district boundaries: Map

I live in Butler-Tarkington and love the area, but won't be sending my children to the local IPS school. There are some decent charter schools, but it's like winning a lottery to get in - literally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis