Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 10:18 AM

16 posts, read 36,350 times

Advertisements

We live in this quaint and charming village now. It exemplifies life in the slow lane. It has a Disneyland quality to it. The schools are very highly rated which makes it a great place to raise children. It's rated nationally as one of the safest towns in the USA. It appeals to retirees, also. All said, it's defined as an enclave for the wealthy with homes starting at approx. $300K. We call it the Scottsdale of the Midwest. (Keep in mind that Scottsdale Arizona residents jokingly call their city Snottsdale).
The towns of Zionsville and Whitestown run together with some of the services being handles jointly. Growth took off after the recovery from the mortgage meltdown mess, in 2008-2009, and it seems to be controlled well. There are new upscale apartment complexes at affordable rates which diversifies the area. A couple of new housing communities make for livability because it would have been hard to move here otherwise since residents move here and stay for a lifetime. New shopping and restaurants have sprung up, making a trek out of the village less necessary. Easy access and a fast 20 minute drive down the 65 freeway into downtown Indianapolis makes for employment and entertainment options. If you want time in the country, drive less than two miles to the west across the 65 freeway and you are in wide open land consisting of farms and cornfields so you can escape city life easily. Zionsville is for people who crave that 1950s feeling and for city dwellers who want a slower pace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 10:39 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Brought to you by the Zionsville Chamber of Commerce.

j/k, I agree and we almost moved to Zionsville a year ago. Just couldn't find a home we liked so we ended up back in the Chicago burbs.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:29 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
Huh. You really have changed your tune in the last 4 and a half years.

//www.city-data.com/forum/india...l#post26430103

Then you complained about Indianapolis not being great for singles. You complained that the suburbs were surrounded by cornfields. You complained it being either too hot or too cold. You complained that it's not an exciting, vibrant city. All this but you love Zionsville?

Old 04-11-2017, 12:05 PM

918 posts, read 1,697,504 times
Zionsville - for those who crave the 1950s !!

Old 04-12-2017, 11:44 AM

107 posts, read 217,140 times
Do you have any nice condos there in Zionsville?
Or, around that area??

Old 04-12-2017, 07:11 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
I never use to hear too much about Zionsville. When I was living in Muncie back in the Mid 60's and early 70's, the only thing I knew about Zionsville was that it came after Yorktown alphabetically in the Indiana cities and towns index of state road maps you use to be able to get for free at the gas stations. I think they mighta been the last 2 cities listed. Neither town was even considered suburbs back then. They were independent small towns out in the country. For a long time, both were barely over a thousand people. Both were little agricultural country towns. 4H and the FFA was very popular organizations at Yorktown HS, I'm sure it was the same at Zionsville, too. I don't think Zionsville really got popular until the 80's. The 1st and only time I went to Zionsville was in the early 2000's and I thought it was one of the nicest little towns I'd ever been to. It looked old and new at the same time. It was very unique and clean looking town. If I was gonna live in Indiana, after Muncie, Zionsville is where I think I might like to live. But, I doubt I could ever afford to live in Zionsville unless there are some sections of town that would allow a mobile home on maybe a half acre of land inside Zionsville City Limits but I would almost bet it to be a city that pretty much bans mobile homes.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:06 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,704 times
Oddly enough Zionsville had a Rolls Royce dealer back in the 70's.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:59 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
Technically they still do! When Rolls-Royce and Bentley split in 2003, the dealership had to choose which direction to go. I just found this interesting article as well:

Still rolling: Bentley dealership finds niche in Zionsville

Old 04-15-2017, 02:16 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
It was across the street from my business. I used to wander over and talk to the employees on a regular basis, as they were never terribly busy.

I always found it a bit odd.

RM

Old 04-17-2017, 11:48 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,704 times
I worked for Rolls many years ago and had reason to call on this point although really I just wanted to meet the owner, Hermann Albers. He was quite well known in the Rolls Royce family for his remarkable memory and could rattle off the chassis number of a car from Chicago that he serviced 5 years earlier from memory. I had read an article about passion for organization that commented that every lightswitch and receptacle plate in his facility had the screws precisely aligned in the same direction. When I toured his shop I found myself looking at every plate.... yup sure enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis