Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 11:02 PM

160 posts, read 155,547 times

Advertisements

Don't do this without some extensive research and homework first. Indy isn't a bad city, but it's costs aren't drastically different from California, and you may not appreciate the culture shock from a move. Research companies, jobs, where you would work, and then look and places to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 02:43 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,456 times
^^^ this right here.
Indy's weather will be a shock to you. We had a warehouse there, was more east coast - spread out etc. We were lving in KC at the time. Warehousing was cheaper at the time there.

Have you thought about Kansas city? Weather is a little better. Town is very easy to live in, people are friendly. Plenty to do. Mid country so trips aren't that far by plane either direction.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:43 PM

44 posts, read 50,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndindy View Post
Don't do this without some extensive research and homework first. Indy isn't a bad city, but it's costs aren't drastically different from California, and you may not appreciate the culture shock from a move. Research companies, jobs, where you would work, and then look and places to live.
California is soooooo much more expensive than Indiana. Everything from gas prices, to electricity, insurance, taxes, housing etc.
there isn't anything to debate about that. The difference is so stark you can't suggest otherwise in a rational way.
The quality of life in Indiana is much better and my happiness level has gone up big time since moving here from California 2 years ago. No regrets.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:18 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,377,898 times
While it's been some time since I lived in California, I can assure you that Indiana is in no way comparable in costs to California, especially when it comes to housing costs.

For anyone to suggest otherwise is just nuts.

RM

Old 12-20-2017, 03:52 PM

44 posts, read 50,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
While it's been some time since I lived in California, I can assure you that Indiana is in no way comparable in costs to California, especially when it comes to housing costs.

For anyone to suggest otherwise is just nuts.

RM
Electricity in California is insane too. My bill dropped over 50% after moving to Indiana.
Gasoline is also over $3 a gallon in most places.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:45 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
^^^ this right here.
Indy's weather will be a shock to you. We had a warehouse there, was more east coast - spread out etc. We were lving in KC at the time. Warehousing was cheaper at the time there.

Have you thought about Kansas city? Weather is a little better. Town is very easy to live in, people are friendly. Plenty to do. Mid country so trips aren't that far by plane either direction.
Weather is much worse in KC than Indy- far greater heat and humidity during the summer. Indy is much more centrally located to all metro areas in the eastern US. KC is in the middle of the US not close to any metros relatively speaking. Airfare is somewhat of a wash, but non-stop flights and international flights in KC have been decreasing with time- likely directly related to the horrid status of the KCI air terminal, hopefully remedied soon.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:55 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
^^^ this right here.

What in the world is so different about Indy and KC's weather? They are both continental Midwestern cities with 4 seasons.

Also find it funny when people talk about weather shock like it's a bad thing. Some people WANT different weather. I grew up in Miami and live in the Twin Cities. Doesn't get much more different than that lol and I love it.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:02 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Well question is a big vague but I have lived in 3 states now but the commonality between all my moves is that I have also been purusing an education even if it wasn't the primary reason for moving. No matter where you live you should have something to keep you busy. Obviously you will need a job. Less than 3,000 is very vague. Less than 3,000 but more than what?

Take it as someone who lived in Florida, Texas and now Minnesota.. I done this whole moving thing. Even in Texas I lived in 4 different towns. The best thing you can do is establish connections. Living by yourself will obviously be more expensive. Look for roommates, I found mine on Craigslist and I met up with them a month before moving so I knew what I am getting into. Have you visited Indianapolis? I recommend you make a short trip to Indy if you haven't. Even if you have it's good to make a refresher trip.

I don't regret my move to MN, I absolutely love it here, I love the Midwest in general. My move has gone pretty well the worst thing is my car's transmission died. That's one thing you gotta plan, you may have a car now but have a plan if God forbid you end up on foot. My advice is to plan it out. Money is important but you can have 10K saved up and screw everything up with poor planning.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:35 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
What in the world is so different about Indy and KC's weather? They are both continental Midwestern cities with 4 seasons.

Also find it funny when people talk about weather shock like it's a bad thing. Some people WANT different weather. I grew up in Miami and live in the Twin Cities. Doesn't get much more different than that lol and I love it.
Indy's climate is milder than KC during the summer months with less extreme heat and humidity by far. Indy also has less extreme temperature changes and less wind compared to KC as well.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:57 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post

It's not greatly different. Kansas City is drier, especially in winter. Kansas City is hotter. It averages more days hitting 70 in winter, something that does not happen here. But in summer it averages 41 days above 90 degrees while we average just 15. We do have about 20 more days with temps dropping below freezing. And several more than KC with temps dropping below 10 degrees. Yet the yearly average temp in KC is only 0.3 degrees hotter than Indy. We also get about twice as much snow on average 13 inches for KC compared to 25 inches here. KC's first snowfall is usually December. Ours is usually November though both can get it in October. We average 1 storm a year that dumps a half foot of snow. KC averages that about every 4 years. KC gets about 30 more days of sunshine per year than Indy as well.

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/usin1068

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/usks0298

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...th-average.php

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...n-averages.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis