Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 07:23 AM

149 posts, read 439,404 times

Advertisements

File a complaint with the Indiana Real Estate Commission. If they are like us in Ohio, they have a fund set aside to pay for damages, as a result to Realtor neglect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 02:06 AM

8 posts, read 9,743 times
Katty, really sorry for unable to help. It sounds really very bad.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:33 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolaswillson324 View Post
Katty, really sorry for unable to help. It sounds really very bad.
You do realize that this thread is over 3 years old, don't you?

RM

Old 10-08-2020, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 362 times
Default Challenges in a Hot Real Estate Market

It's discouraging to read that things such as happened to Katty may still be going on now! 2020 has been a record-breaking year for real estate sales, and I guess that means with fierce competition, it brings out the worst in some people!

For the record, I am not a real estate broker, and never have been. I'm just an observant person who cares very deeply about ethics and integrity in business and the workplace and who wants for potential buyers to be treated honestly and fairly in real estate transactions. What I've witnessed lately is that there are those who are skirting the rules when it comes to honesty and ethics, yet their tactics happen to fall enough into a proverbial gray area that potential complaints wouldn't merit investigation by MIBOR. It's these kinds of "iffy" situations that potential home buyers need to be made aware of.

For example, an agent draws up paper work and sets things up to take first and best offer. Once an acceptable offer has been made, the greed kicks in and the agent re-lists to set off a bidding war, using inside information from the first rejected offer to sweeten the second deal.

Similarly, an agent posts a home for sale expecting a quick-turn around because it is reasonably priced for the market, and expects that it will sell for thousands above list price in a hot market. Buyers submit offers with escalation clauses; the broker indicates that the home will be sold based upon 'highest and best' offer. However, the broker expedites a sale to a buyer who did not enter the 'highest and best' price, but instead agreed to forgo a home inspection for the privilege of buying the property!

When I heard about that situation, I wondered, "Who in their right mind would buy a home without a home inspection?" and "What in the world are the broker and sellers trying to HIDE?" Perhaps the potential buyer that made the 'highest and best' offer avoided a money pit--who knows? But what does it say about a broker's ethics that he or she would encourage anyone to buy a home without an inspection? GREED AND FOLLY, that's what it is!

My recommendation to any first-time home buyers is that when you want to make an offer and you hear that the sellers are looking for 'highest and best' price, ask the brokers to explain EXACTLY what that means to them! And by all means, don't be so foolish as to buy any real estate without first getting a top notch property inspection!

Old 10-08-2020, 08:19 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,149,219 times
I've been told by my buyer's agent that "best" is subjective (and I somewhat agree with that). "Best" could be an all cash offer versus one that requires financing (and, therefore, an appraisal). It could be one that waives an inspection, or says the buyer will pay for something the seller ordinarily would. It could be a more attractive (to the seller) closing date. Who knows? Yeah, this is a true gray area and fraught with opportunities for sellers to be, well, opportunists. It's no fun as a home buyer, but it seems the way things are right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: