Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 02:51 PM

918 posts, read 1,697,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I don't know about Canada but I do know that in the mid 80's, there was a time when the economy got real bad in the United States and unemployment was hovering between 12 and 25% in some cities, many in the Midwest, including Indiana. Many people who did work had their hours cut. It was a bad time for the American economy. That's around the time Reagan cut out enough funds that would have went for mental health programs that resulted in many "borderline" patients being released from mental hospitals that really needed to be in a mental hospital. Alot of them folks ended up on the streets. That was also around the time when people who looked to be perfectly respectful honest family type people who were down on their luck standing at busy intersections holding "will work for food" signs. Pretty soon after that was when actual panhandlers started panhandling at busy intersections. You never use to see panhandlers of any kind with signs at busy intersections before the Reagan years. I don't think it was even allowed to panhandle at busy intersections. Going down the line of backed up traffic at the red light with hat in hand. That started in the 80's during Reagan.

I am not questioning what you're saying with regards to the 80s. I guess I am just trying to pinpoint the main causes of homelessness and the Vancouver example proves that it isn't just lack of social services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 05:53 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
I understand. I think there alot of panhandlers who choose that life style. They would rather be homeless and live in a cardboard box in the woods than have to deal with the day to day stresses of an everyday work day, being micromanaged, having to follow other people's rules and be on a time schedule and deadlines, and car payments, and insurance, electric bill's, cable, internet, etc. Every little thing can be come overwhelming. It is so much easier to beg for money as needed than have to deal with all the other b.s. that comes along with trying to live a so-called normal middle class life style.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:17 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,545,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I understand. I think there alot of panhandlers who choose that life style. They would rather be homeless and live in a cardboard box in the woods than have to deal with the day to day stresses of an everyday work day, being micromanaged, having to follow other people's rules and be on a time schedule and deadlines, and car payments, and insurance, electric bill's, cable, internet, etc. Every little thing can be come overwhelming. It is so much easier to beg for money as needed than have to deal with all the other b.s. that comes along with trying to live a so-called normal middle class life style.
Sadly,....some are just like that

Old 07-29-2018, 05:31 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Why were those facilities dismantled?? What was Regans reason??
I worked in mental health and can help explain this. It was the result of Congress calling for a study in the Fifties to determine the best way to meet the needs of the mentally ill. In 1963 with President Kennedy's help the Community Mental Health Act was passed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commun...tal_Health_Act

The idea was to create community centers and living for mental health patients. But it appears that no matter who our President is or what party is dominant in Congress no one wants to allocate the kind of funding this huge undertaking requires. When it comes to budgeting mental health is always last in line, it seems.

I can also verify that a large number of our homeless could be helped by the programs that are available but they are just like us - they want their independence and don't want to jump through the necessary hoops to get it.

I can't tell you how many times I have been approached for a handout and responded that I'll help them get hooked up with the appropriate services only for the person to suddenly lose interest.

I have no idea what the solution is if we are to continue to allow the homeless the same Civil Rights that we enjoy. Rehabilitating them "for their own good" like we used to do is no longer an option.

I can tell you some pretty horrible stories about how protecting their rights in mental health treatment has resulted in other patients' and staff's mutilation and even death. At present their rights take precedence.

It seems there must be a place of reason where everyone's health (including the homeless') is taken into consideration. I had to chuckle at the Mayor's tour in the reference when it said the Mayor was shocked by the poopies. Where has she been? Is she sequestered somewhere?

She suggests some government agencies educate the homeless not to leave their poop laying around. Well, there's your brilliant solution.

Old 08-23-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I worked in mental health and can help explain this. It was the result of Congress calling for a study in the Fifties to determine the best way to meet the needs of the mentally ill. In 1963 with President Kennedy's help the Community Mental Health Act was passed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commun...tal_Health_Act

The idea was to create community centers and living for mental health patients. But it appears that no matter who our President is or what party is dominant in Congress no one wants to allocate the kind of funding this huge undertaking requires. When it comes to budgeting mental health is always last in line, it seems.

I can also verify that a large number of our homeless could be helped by the programs that are available but they are just like us - they want their independence and don't want to jump through the necessary hoops to get it.

I can't tell you how many times I have been approached for a handout and responded that I'll help them get hooked up with the appropriate services only for the person to suddenly lose interest.

I have no idea what the solution is if we are to continue to allow the homeless the same Civil Rights that we enjoy. Rehabilitating them "for their own good" like we used to do is no longer an option.

I can tell you some pretty horrible stories about how protecting their rights in mental health treatment has resulted in other patients' and staff's mutilation and even death. At present their rights take precedence.

It seems there must be a place of reason where everyone's health (including the homeless') is taken into consideration. I had to chuckle at the Mayor's tour in the reference when it said the Mayor was shocked by the poopies. Where has she been? Is she sequestered somewhere?

She suggests some government agencies educate the homeless not to leave their poop laying around. Well, there's your brilliant solution.
Typical liberal solution

Old 08-23-2018, 05:06 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
Typical liberal solution
So what's yours? Regardless of political affiliation, if you don't like what's been proposed, you should have ideas of your own, right?

RM

Old 08-23-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
So what's yours? Regardless of political affiliation, if you don't like what's been proposed, you should have ideas of your own, right?

RM
I don’t have one!! But if I did, it wouldn’t be trying to teach homeless not to poop on the sidewalks! I would have them arrested for that!!

Old 08-23-2018, 05:13 PM

That’s something they already know!

Old 08-23-2018, 06:27 PM

918 posts, read 1,697,504 times
Quote:
I don’t have one!! But if I did, it wouldn’t be trying to teach homeless not to poop on the sidewalks! I would have them arrested for that!!
Problem is being arrested isn't really that big of a deterrent for someone who's habitually homeless. A lot of them are already in and out of jail on regular basis; I suspect many don't even mind being arrested and spend time under a roof and being fed courtesy of the government; meanwhile it's a drain on the system - costing taxpayers money (yes I'm aware that cleaning up after them also costs us money) and overcrowding jails.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:42 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Giving them a longer criminal record means they are less employable. Unless your plan is to house and feed them forever through tax money that goes into the criminal justice system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: