Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2018, 02:17 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,146,393 times

Advertisements

Using the following real estate listing as a point of reference, can anyone tell me about the trains that run through Brownsburg?

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M49182-57670

I've lived near railroad tracks before, and they weren't a problem because the trains were slow, infrequent, and never ran at night. I wouldn't consider buying a home near tracks, though, if the opposite were true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 06:32 PM

174 posts, read 243,627 times
I live a little further from the tracks in Brownsburg then that (approx 1 -2miles), but we don't notice the trains. I've been in Arbuckle Acres Park (same distance from tracks as that house you linked) when the train has gone through and it was pretty quiet. However i don't know if that's how quiet they always are. They don't seem to be going through town real fast. I don't know regularity of trains either on that track. 2-3 tines a day I'd guess, if that? Not sure that's real helpful for you other than actually witnessing one go by while on location. Sorry.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:38 PM

Thank you. That's good info and a good starting point.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:18 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,076,178 times
Right now many municipalities are at war with CSX. About a year or so ago I saw an article in a magazine. They were trying to basically sell the need for a second New Deal focused on transportation. The article claimed that the Chicago rail-yard has become notorious for gridlock. I guess what should take say two hours can end up taking an entire day.

Well at the same time, CSX's former CEO (recently passed away) started to change the way the company moved freight. I'm basically on the opposite side of town from Brownsburg (NE corner of the metro area). Signs went up along all the CSX tracks in this area (from the state line even) about longer trains, more trains. This is true, I've seen this.

Additionally, for whatever reason (they claim train breakdowns, but I don't know if I believe that), CSX is now parking trains blocking main intersections all over the state. This has resulted in trains blocking roads in Indianapolis, Anderson, and the suburban towns/cities in my area. Just saw on Facebook a train was blocking what is usually my direct route home yesterday at some point. There is currently a court battle on if municipalities can legally issue fines against the railroad for blocking traffic.

The increased train traffic and length isn't an issue for me. However, blocking the tracks for hours on end is an issue. Whatever you do, carefully pick on which side of the tracks you want to live. Your commute will be increased if you have to cross those rails and there is a train there. My nearest under track crossing is either in Indianapolis or Pendleton, or I'd have to get on 465 at 56th Street and cross above (I think) the tracks as I work my way towards I-70 to get downtown. Usually though the trains are that long, so I'd really only have to drive a few miles around country roads to find a crossing that is open.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:56 PM

Default Update from OP

Was doing a bit more research, and I found that those tracks *do* see quite a bit of rail traffic. In addition to the freight/non-passenger trains that go by, Amtrak currently runs daily service..twice a day around 6:30-ish in the morning and 11-ish at night. Here's a link to the Amtrak schedule as of November, 2018:

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/p...ule-110818.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis