Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 02:30 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,017 times

Advertisements

I left Indy 10 years ago for Chicago and have also lived in Philadelphia since. I am shocked to only see one new high rise since (which is only a hotel) I left and the remained dated buildings. construction is booming in downtown Chicago and even philly has new high rises going up. Yet Indy keeps this pointless dream of a light rail alive, despite the lack of density required for a real public transportation system. You need density downtown to have the vibrancy required to attract young professionals! You need density to have a need for public transit! Please update me on what is going on downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 07:23 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I think it's plenty fine. More density does not always equal a higher quality of life.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:34 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I left Indy 10 years ago for Chicago and have also lived in Philadelphia since. I am shocked to only see one new high rise since (which is only a hotel) I left and the remained dated buildings. construction is booming in downtown Chicago and even philly has new high rises going up. Yet Indy keeps this pointless dream of a light rail alive, despite the lack of density required for a real public transportation system. You need density downtown to have the vibrancy required to attract young professionals! You need density to have a need for public transit! Please update me on what is going on downtown.
Most of the development downtown is of the 5 story variety, with one 13 or so story building going up near IUPUI. The currently under construction Market 360 is planned to be 26 stories high. If you have not noticed all the new buildings downtown, you're blind.

Indy is not planning light rail, the state forbids it. They are planning "Bus Rapid Transit," which is going to run along the busiest corridors for bus traffic now. Downtown is pretty lively compared to what it used to be, I am honestly a little perplexed by your comment. I know you pop in here every once in a while to remind us how much you hate Indy, but surely even you can admit downtown has seen a lot of positive momentum the last few years.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:26 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
There was a plan to extend the Bus Rapid Transit into Carmel and Westfield, and it was supposed to appear on the ballet this November. Westfield and Carmel residents were supposed to vote on the BRT, and whether to pay taxes to support it.

But the plans changed and Westfield and Carmel are no longer in the plan. We were told that there is less need for the BRT in Hamilton county now than there was at the time it was first discussed several (10?) years ago.

Also, the roundabouts and limited access of US 31 and Keystone have alleviated traffic congestion. US 37 will also be converted to limited access which will help congestion in Noblesville and Fishers.

Another factor is that Carmel and Westfield are focusing on creating walkable job hubs and live/work/dine/shop/entertainment areas, rather than being bedroom communities of Indy.

Quite a few Hamilton county residents raised objections about paying taxes for the Red Line BRT when they didn't plan to use it. And the Carmel businesses dropped out of the plan because they weren't interested in paying for it.

It still could be brought up for a vote in the future, we were told it would be November 2018 at the earliest.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:36 PM

Public transit comes with density, but it also comes with incessant traffic backups that Indy just generally doesn't have.

Admittedly I never worked downtown, but I got from my apartment at 136th to Keystone at the Crossing in 10-15 minutes most mornings. A coworker's girlfriend got from within a mile of where we were on Keystone to downtown within 20 minutes.

Contrast that to sitting in queues on the northeast side on 465 or in Fishers. Carmel is leading the way on the walkable movement - but still, it's small and relatively insignificant. Fishers is significantly behind.

Bottom line - you need a car to get around this city and the suburbs, not the urban core, are increasingly the problem with congestion.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:44 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Bottom line - you need a car to get around this city and the suburbs, not the urban core, are increasingly the problem with congestion.
You need a car because there isn't viable mass transit. The demand for good transit in the city is there. The demand for good transit is probably less in HamCo. I don't really know, and I won't pretend to know on the internet. Keystone at the Crossing to downtown in under 20 minutes, during rush hour? No chance.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:29 PM

They lived off 71st and Keystone. She leaves about 7:30 and is in the office 7:50 - 8 at the Chase Tower. I've never tried it myself, but I do know going from Carmel to Broad Ripple, at a minimum, is quicker and less hassle than the commutes between Carmel and Fishers.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:16 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Here we go again comparing the 3rd and 5th largest cities in the United States with Indianapolis.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:17 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
Quote:
They lived off 71st and Keystone. She leaves about 7:30 and is in the office 7:50 - 8 at the Chase Tower. I've never tried it myself, but I do know going from Carmel to Broad Ripple, at a minimum, is quicker and less hassle than the commutes between Carmel and Fishers.
If I leave home at 6:30 am It takes me 30 minutes to get to work in downtown Indy. That is from 146th St to Alabama St/Mass Ave. I have made it in as little as 25 minutes if I get mostly green lights.

Traffic conditions have improved greatly through Carmel and Westfield with the near-completion of US 31, soon to be interstate 31.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:20 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,803 times
Quote:
I can attest to the drive between Carmel and Fishers since I live in Fishers and work in Carmel. My 9-10 mile drive takes 35 minutes most days. Lately with all the road closures in Carmel, it is all but impossible to go between Carmel and Fishers during rush hour. I've found myself going all the way up into Westfield to get home because everything going east in Carmel is gridlock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis