Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 08:30 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,906,131 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from Florida soon and I've been looking into Greenwood and south for rentals since my husband will be working in Columbus.

My question really is about living some place such as Irvington because I love the traditional and historic homes. I've heard Irvington mentioned on other threads, but am wondering how traffic would be to get from Irvington down past Greenwood? Are there shops etc in Irvington, I would I end up driving to Greenwood anyway to buy diapers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 08:37 AM

8,985 posts, read 17,313,313 times
Heading toward downtown to get I-65 could be problematic, but not likely. You can take Washington Street downtown to I-65 south. They are re-doing that interchange, there is alot of construction in the area. You could also take Emerson Ave north to I-70 and take that downtown to hit I-65. Unless there is an accident, I-65 south to Greenwood in the morning should not be an issue.

There are shops in Irvington, but having not lived in the neighborhood, I am not sure where the best place to buy diapers is. There is a K-mart on East Washington near the I-465 interchange. If you head further east on Washington toward the mall, there is a Target and even further out in Cumberland there is a Meijer. East Washington has everything you will need as far as grocery's. There is a Safeway at 16th and Emerson? as well. I think it is Emerson, you may want to check on that.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
Heading toward downtown to get I-65 could be problematic, but not likely. You can take Washington Street downtown to I-65 south. They are re-doing that interchange, there is alot of construction in the area. You could also take Emerson Ave north to I-70 and take that downtown to hit I-65. Unless there is an accident, I-65 south to Greenwood in the morning should not be an issue.
Would it maybe make sense to head east to 485 and then take that south to I-65?? Having recently lived in Atlanta , sometimes it makes sense to go around town rather than through it.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
Would it maybe make sense to head east to 485 and then take that south to I-65?? Having recently lived in Atlanta , sometimes it makes sense to go around town rather than through it.
It probably won't make that much of a difference. The traffic in Indianapolis does not compare to what you will find in Atlanta. It would be best just to experiment and see what works best in the long run. Traffic can get congested between the splits and heading into them, but if you are taking Washington Street down to 65, you will probably not be affected. You would be reverse-commuting against the worst traffic (65 north from Greenwood in the morning and vice versa at night).

EDIT: The splits are where 65 and 70 meet downtown. North split is north interchange, south split is south interchange.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:43 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,756,420 times
From Irvington to Columbus? Have fun driving ... especially during the ice storms that come and go during the winter.

We like living in Columbus ourselves. Other than Chicago and it's burbs, this is the best place we've lived.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:47 AM

For some reason I was thinking work in Greenwood. I don't think I would want to commute from Irvington to Columbus for work, but that is just me.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:42 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,367,100 times
domergurl--don't they have some nice historic homes in Columbus? It seems like I recall a beautiful area near 11th (???) Street. I could be wrong on the street. I just recall it's on the way to Columbus North HS coming from Bloomington. I've never really had much time to look around during trips to Columbus, but I do recall some pretty impressive older places.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
domergurl--don't they have some nice historic homes in Columbus? It seems like I recall a beautiful area near 11th (???) Street. I could be wrong on the street. I just recall it's on the way to Columbus North HS coming from Bloomington. I've never really had much time to look around during trips to Columbus, but I do recall some pretty impressive older places.
If you hear about or see any signs for rentals Dormergurl, please let me know. I know there are some very nice older homes near downtown, but it's find 3 or 4 bedroom rentals that could be a challenge. Do you know if there's a map online somewhere of the people trails you were talking about?

Old 10-15-2008, 08:03 AM

I found one =-)

Old 10-15-2008, 10:36 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,756,420 times
There are pockets of historical old homes around town. There's a beautiful section on Washington St., as well as the Donner Park neighborhood. Also some great homes near the library near 5th st.

I'll keep an eye out for rentals though!

I use the People Trail daily. It's one of the greatest things about living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis