Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 03:56 PM

10 posts, read 18,200 times

Advertisements

If you want to remodel an older house, and are a dog person, I think you should check out my neighborhood. I'm sure we have the highest concentration of dog loving old house people anywhere in the city. The question is....would you consider yourself an urbanite or a suburbanite. I'm always amazed at the suburbanites responses on here. (You couldn't pay me to live outside the loop) If you like living in the city there are plenty of nice places inside the loop! I live in a nice near eastside neighborhood, 10-15 minutes from the airport because you can hop right on I-70 nearby. It's safe and affordable. Yes, there is racial variety here, and yes many gay and lesbian folks. But as a single straight white female I feel perfectly comfortable. I have never had such great neighbors and have lived all over Indy. There is a real old fashioned neighborhood feel here. There are 20 near eastside neighborhoods, learn more at www.indyeast.org or the NESCO (Near eastside community organization) website - sorry don't have the address handy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 04:00 PM

Brookside Park is a mixed area. In general, the closer west you are the better. If you're on the right street you'll love it. Try Oxford b/t 11th and the Park, or Parker 10th to the park. There are a few other streets - glad to share if you have questions.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbwinslo View Post
No, no, no, please no.
I'd like you to enjoy your time in Indy safely. Brookside Park is on the eastside of town. The east side is not convenient to the airport and is also, I'm afraid, arguably the worst side of town. The Hamilton Avenue murders happened not that far from that area.
What is approx. your price range? Indy is an affordable place to live and I'm sure we can find you lots of other areas as different as night and day that are also a LOT safer!
So wrong ... yes the Hamilton avenue murders happened, ummm a mile or two from there and three plus years ago. Closer to downtown... murders happen everywhere. What non-sense. Again... see my other posts. Single white female... not afraid. I actually live two blocks from Brookside Park. I'm not alone... you really should know all the cool people in this neighborhood and how nice it is before stearing people away based on what the media showed you three or four years ago.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:47 PM

96 posts, read 195,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1348 View Post
So wrong ... yes the Hamilton avenue murders happened, ummm a mile or two from there and three plus years ago. Closer to downtown... murders happen everywhere. What non-sense. Again... see my other posts. Single white female... not afraid. I actually live two blocks from Brookside Park. I'm not alone... you really should know all the cool people in this neighborhood and how nice it is before stearing people away based on what the media showed you three or four years ago.
I'm gonna have to side with the person you replied to. I pay zero attention to local media with the exception of the occasional visit to the Indy Stars website as I'm well aware of how our TV news outlet's love to blow things out of proportion. From personal experience I would not recommend this area or the near east-side to someone for their gateway experience to Indianapolis living. That's not to say that their aren't pockets of decent areas within the near east-side like Irvington, ect but I'd only consider moving to the area after I'd gotten a general feel for what it's like to live in a more stable and predictable part of Indianapolis. Then, if I decided to take the plunge and really invest in a neighborhood like that to play a part in it's revitalization I would do so knowing all of my options.

Moving to a new city is hard enough. Jumping right in with both feet into a very transitional neighborhood would be considerably more difficult and risky.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:52 AM

9 posts, read 14,709 times
Well I am a single white female who lives by myself on the far east side. I will have to agree also with McLaren. There are murders everywhere you go. Does Brookside Park need a little renovation? Yes but all of downtown Indy houses pretty much need renovation. I watch the news everynight and, well to be honest, you mostly hear about burgleries, murders, etc. happening on east/north/northeast side but that doesn't mean it isn't happening elsewhere. I would more focus on the fact that the OP wants to be near the airport. Seeing as that is on the west side Then lets not rag on the East side so bad.

There are a LOT of cheap houses on southwest side inside the loop (on Mann Rd) where it is less crime-ridden area compared to others. I think a lot of how you like a city depends on the types of people you meet and surround yourself with once you get settled.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:25 AM

42 posts, read 105,860 times
It all depends on what type of neighborhood you want. There are older homes in Plainfield, but it is pricey along with Avon. Mooresville is nice as long as you are white (sorry but it is the truth). We still have some racism that is alive and well. Decatur is more diverse...but not a lot. I used to live in Speedway and I loved it. I was there for 3 years. It would be your cheapest option. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis