Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 09:16 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,076,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
From what I hear, Indy is healthy and vibrant and growing and has a Sunbelt boomtown feel to it. I have wondered why Indianapolis couldn't have those same kind of high rises downtown. Maybe not the same scale as Austin, but something that well reflects the vibrancy and health of Indianapolis, which I think is one of the nations most over looked, misunderstood, and under rated cities.
The Indy metro area is growing for sure, and maybe even the city is growing somewhat. A lot of the growth for the last two decades has been the land around the city. The suburbs have really grown, both in terms of people and construction. Downtown Indy is just now really seeing a growth spurt, but I don't know if it will end or not. Numerous low rise complexes have been built recently and a few are still being planned. The only recent "high rise" that I can think of is 9 on the Canal. Of course when it was originally proposed, some comments on the IBJ Property Lines blog complained about how it would block the view of the downtown skyline, that it wouldn't fit in with the height of the nearby area, etc.. So last I recall the tower was shortened, either due to complaints or just the developers deciding that maybe demand wasn't what they originally thought it was going to be so they made less rooms.

Most of the states mentioned in this thread have seen tremendous growth since the 80s. Indiana has gained over a million people, which is about 1/5th of the population in the early 80s. Other states like NC have doubled their population and then some. Any large metro area in a state that has seen huge population growth likely has had a lot more demand for high rise living than a city like Indy in a state like Indiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 07:03 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times
I use to live and work in residential highrises before moving up to Indy. It was a great experience while it lasted. As former highrise resident, it really depends on the demographic demand for it. Highrise living culture has a lot to do with it regardless of city. The only way to develop that culture is to start building to make them available. However, it ultimately depends on how the local market responds. So far the public doesn't have enough highrise options in Indy to choose from like you can up in a city like Chicago. A simple analogy would be like if you were at a grocery store. The kind of products you buy are the ones available on the shelf. The product line of various brands that is selling well will continue to expand based on the demand of the consumer. Only time will tell after 360 Market Square is built. If the demand is there and the project becomes a success I'm quite sure developers will seek another proposal in the future. When it comes to highrise living there are pros and cons. It depends on what you're looking for. If I were to get something downtown I may even consider a place at 360 myself.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:08 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,477,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I lived in a Chicago high rise when I was single. I could walk to work, stumble home after spending time at the Billy Goat after work and hail a cab whenever I needed to get to a train station to vamoose out of town.

Indy isn't like that. It attracts families and more settled down people who want houses.
So essentially you're saying that Indy is boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis